Speculation: Coaching Staff: Who Stays/Goes/Joins

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
just going to throw Scott Stevens name out as an assistant.

we all know the history. just let it go. the man knew how to play defense. he could work well with some of the prospects we have coming.

Whether it's Stevens or someone like him, they definitely need an experienced guy. Even someone like Craig Ramsay, who just got let go in Edmonton.

For the Phantoms, I hope they hire Benoit Groulx. He's a great teacher and we're going to have a few Quebec kids on the team in the next couple years.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
He said he wants a job with the front office. Player Development is a front office job, maybe he'd take that.

Yeah I think whatever Kimmo inevitably does it's going to be something where he doesn't travel with the team. His kids are in school and still live in the area. I imagine after the year Kimmo has had all he wants to do is spend time with his family and relax.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'd rather move along a bit slower in the retool process than welcome that head hunting assassin into the Organization.

I will never forgive him for knowing the situation with Eric yet still putting a man's life on the backburner as he had his partner lure Lindros into a position where he could give him a (then) legal but lethal type of blow to the head, given the circumstance... While we all may love players who will do anything to win, as a caring human, I personally have my limits. JMO

#FollowThroughMyAssItWasAnElbow

Lindros was no saint. if he had the opportunity he would of ended Stevens in the same situation. doesn't make it right. but that is the way Lindros played the game.
I didn't like him as a player either. but I have moved on.

ivanthebad*

I'd rather move along a bit slower in the retool process than welcome that head hunting assassin into the Organization.

I will never forgive him for knowing the situation with Eric yet still putting a man's life on the backburner as he had his partner lure Lindros into a position where he could give him a (then) legal but lethal type of blow to the head, given the circumstance... While we all may love players who will do anything to win, as a caring human, I personally have my limits. JMO

#FollowThroughMyAssItWasAnElbow

LOL. Stevens was the ultimate dman, please. He played well within the rules at the time and was a game changer. He didn't lure anybody, especially Lindros. 88 had a tendancy to look for pucks cuz he was so massive it rarely affected him. When Lindros came back to early mind you to spark the team in the playoffs, Stevens stepped up and took that all away in 1 play. Stevens was a dark spot in Flyers history, but had he been a Flyer, he would have arguably been the best Flyer to lace up. Lindros was my favorite Flyer, but he delivered more dirt than Stevens ever did

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Lindros was no saint. if he had the opportunity he would of ended Stevens in the same situation. doesn't make it right. but that is the way Lindros played the game.
I didn't like him as a player either. but I have moved on.

Quite a big difference between the two by all accounts... Stevens had a record as long as his arm of just such set up/lay out hit on players. It is one thing taking a shot at a player foolishly skating with his head down and another thing to go out of your way in conjunction with your partner to set it up as Stevens was want to do... and yet an even worse thing to do so in a case where he knows the player was not only susceptible to being easily concussed but a player who was out an extended time and rushed back not over his ordeal -- yes there are arguments against Lindros playing, but that does not effect Stevens... but does make him fair game in 'normal' play... not set ups -- I'm not saying that Stevens should allow Eric free reign to bet his Team, but he should no Headhunt... Lindros on the other hand was no angel and did hit hard and played rough... but there has never been a case that I am aware of where Eric set up a defenseless player with intention of inflicting serious injury.

To infer in any way shape or form that Lindros would have done the same and is unfair based on not a single shred of evidence of his either being a headhunter, nor a player that purposely goes after players set up nor players who he knows were possibly one concussion away fro being rendered a virtual vegetable. Is this dramatically stated? Certainly it is... and it is on purpose due to the sick manner -- IMO, and many others opinions also -- that Stevens treated multiple players in general over his career... and Lindros in that Game specifically... which to me was reprehensible on so many fronts... In this he deserves no forgiveness from me... and with this I cannot move on... EVER.

Sorry for the extended rant but it is a very sore subject that has festered for a long time with me... and I'm not even a Lindros supporter. I do not want Stevens on the Flyers PERIOD. Hockey is a tough sport... but it is not above being a caring human being to other human beings... who have to live when they hang up their skates... Let the Devils convince him to return there; they are his Team and put up with it when he did his schit... why change now.[/RANT]

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
LOL. Stevens was the ultimate dman, please. He played well within the rules at the time and was a game changer. He didn't lure anybody, especially Lindros. 88 had a tendancy to look for pucks cuz he was so massive it rarely affected him. When Lindros came back to early mind you to spark the team in the playoffs, Stevens stepped up and took that all away in 1 play. Stevens was a dark spot in Flyers history, but had he been a Flyer, he would have arguably been the best Flyer to lace up. Lindros was my favorite Flyer, but he delivered more dirt than Stevens ever did

Stevens did that on a somewhat regular basis... yes Lindros' bad habit did him in more often than it should have, but that is no reason for Stevens to set him up... and he did set him up. Stevens came from his side directly across the rink after his partner aided him in the setup... his intention was clear and he succeeded and won the Game and the Cup He was a GREAT D-Man but he could have been every bit as great without such hits... His hit that night was marginally legal and it was his aim to hit the head and take him out. Today it would not be close to being legal... and morally it was wrong on a player he KNEW was recently concussed. I'm sorry but I don't want him here... and I'm not going to have an extended debate on this subject; it is how I feel and it doesn't matter if I'm alone in my thinking.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Scott Stevens was a fantastic player, but I have no idea how he is as a coach.

Playing and coaching are two completely different skills, and being good at one doesn't necessarily mean you are gifted at the other.

I would much prefer hiring assistants with demonstrated success and proficiency as coaches.

SchennSational1022*

Stevens needed to do something to Lindros to ensure he wont be getting rag dolled around like the ***** he was by Big E constantly :laugh:. Guy was a joke, I laugh at people that even put him in same breathe as Pronger.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lappy was the only guy I thought might get moved out or moved sideways. Mullen is great with the PP, and they just hired Murphy a year ago.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011

So no more appointments (other than goalie). Surprised that they opted to keep Laperriere. That PK was one of the root causes of the Flyers' struggles in the first half of last season. He should be on very thin ice.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

So no more appointments (other than goalie). Surprised that they opted to keep Laperriere. That PK was one of the root causes of the Flyers' struggles in the first half of last season. He should be on very thin ice.

lets not underestimate the talent he had, in the fact that he had very little.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Lappy was the only guy I thought might get moved out or moved sideways. Mullen is great with the PP, and they just hired Murphy a year ago.

This.
Mullen has been great for many years now, Gord Murphy comes with more than 10 years of experience as an assistant Coach.

Lappy? a warrior as a player, great person, but whatever he tried so far as a Coach hasn't worked out.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Maybe they feel Lappy has great potential and want to hone him for the future with the Team... and they like his influence and the fact that I believe he is loved by the players... Who knows.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love Lappy and have no doubt that he is loved by the players. That said, his first year was very dissapointing. How much of that was on the loss of Coburn and Kimmo though? They were key cogs to the PK the previous few years. I'm assuming Hextall acknowledged a few different variables, such as the piss poor coaching by Berube and the lack of talent on defense. I love that Mullen is back but i'm on the fence on Murphy and Laperriere.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The way I like to look at this is that Hextall and the Organization had to have analyzed the players and their play last Season... including the results in all aspect... and with that the overall coaching of those players and the System in place. As a result of that study they chose to release Berube and go out and find a new Head Coach who they hope will lead the forward and upward for quite a few Seasons... they invested quite a bit of Capital for a long five year commitment. The fact that they chose to keep all three assistants after that tough scrutiny only goes to show me that they feel that the blame clearly fell on Berube's leadership of the Staff and that the coaches under him individually did their jobs in the manner that the Organization wanted them to.

With that said, I believe that they thought that even with the failures, the three Assistants were able to work with the new Head Coach and be successful... if not, why bother to make the long commitment that they did... They must have been satisfied with their prior decisions on all three and were/are willing to stand by them, even when given the chance to make changes with new options available to them at this point in time.

This says a lot about the Assistants in my book... I sure hope Hextall and the Organization are correct.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Wasn't Lappy the PK coach the year prior to this? I thought he was hired Oct 2013? That PK was top 5 in the league then Berube changes things saying he wants a more "aggressive" PK a year later.

Regarding Stevens, theres no point in discussing it anyway. Stevens begrudgingly took the coaching job with Oates because Lou L. begged him to. Stevens doesn't want to coach he wants to work in the front office and has been quoted in saying he doesn't want to coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad