Speculation: Coaching Staff: Who Stays/Goes/Joins

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Haven't heard much of anything after Berube was released and Hakstol was hired about the Flyers Coaching Staff... There was a little speculation but noting close to any solid names both after Chief left and Hak came... and nothing from anyone of note. We know that a new Goalie Coach will be hired, unless they go greatly against the grain... but the grape vine I believe has been snipped on who he will be, as well as the makeup of the bench and off-ice assistants. Or maybe I've just missed it amongst all the other news and speculation... as well as the Playoff action.

Gas anyone here heard anything at all? Can anyone supply any source information?... And, of course... who do you all believe will be released, stick around and/or be obtained to assist with Hak?

Certainly a veteran assistant Coach -- maybe a past NHL Coach? -- is a strong possibility/probability to help a rookie to the NHL manage the traps and hurdles... Will we get help with coaching the PK? Will the PP coaching stay as it is?... Who will come in to coach Mason and the new backup?... Will the Trainers and Conditioning Staffs be changed under the new regime?

We are starting with a clean slate here. :help:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Man that is hard to pick. I hope Reese is back, thought he was good. The rest, I have no idea where to look. NCAA, chl, ahl?

I'm thinking an NHL Veteran for Hak's right hand man... to help show him the ropes in the NHL/Pro-level... and to work with the veteran players since Hak has only dealt with kids... I suppose an AHL Coach could help some, but he may not have experience in the NHL... Maybe an ex-player who knows the League?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Here's a prediction for an assistant coach: Dave Barr.

Got fired along with DeBoer from New Jersey last season. Also a former Minnesota and Colorado assistant, former OHL coach of the year, and, most importantly, has had successful PK units in the past.

I'll also predict they keep Joe Mullen and make Terry Murray a Flyers assistant.

I think they'll give Laperriere and Murphy the option to coach the Phantoms.

SchennSational1022*

Keep Murray away from this team, for God's sake. I would look to bring Morris over from FLA (Hexy connection), and 1000% keep Mullen. If they let go of Mullen they are dumb.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I also wouldn't be shocked if they brought Eakins in as one of the assistants.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Don't expect to get much out of the organization. Hexy seems to have dropped the hammer on leaks. (I'd imagine it tends to hurt bargaining power). We won't know what happens until it does and neither will the beat writers.

That said, odds are Murray stays, it would be immeasurably stupid to let him go. I think the other assistants are gone.

I don't think they go with a really vet guy at the assistant position. Hakstol is the guy and Hexy will want to make that crystal clear. He will have some league experience but not so much that the players neglect Dave in favor of the more experienced assistant. I also expect Hexy will look outside of the organization for at least one assistant. I also expect they have an "eye in the sky" assistant who is not on the bench. Hakstol really values structure and will want a look at team play from as many angles as possible.

At goalie coach, I wonder what's going on with Burke. Anyone know?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Don't expect to get much out of the organization. Hexy seems to have dropped the hammer on leaks. (I'd imagine it tends to hurt bargaining power). We won't know what happens until it does and neither will the beat writers.

That said, odds are Murray stays, it would be immeasurably stupid to let him go. I think the other assistants are gone.

I don't think they go with a really vet guy at the assistant position. Hakstol is the guy and Hexy will want to make that crystal clear. He will have some league experience but not so much that the players neglect Dave in favor of the more experienced assistant. I also expect Hexy will look outside of the organization for at least one assistant. I also expect they have an "eye in the sky" assistant who is not on the bench. Hakstol really values structure and will want a look at team play from as many angles as possible.

At goalie coach, I wonder what's going on with Burke. Anyone know?

If I recall, Burke wants to become a GM and is looking for a full-time front office gig.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here's a prediction for an assistant coach: Dave Barr.

Got fired along with DeBoer from New Jersey last season. Also a former Minnesota and Colorado assistant, former OHL coach of the year, and, most importantly, has had successful PK units in the past.

I'll also predict they keep Joe Mullen and make Terry Murray a Flyers assistant.

I think they'll give Laperriere and Murphy the option to coach the Phantoms.

That's a lot of moving around of assistants. You don't typically send an NHL assistant down to be your same AHL assistant, and I don't see him as a head coach (frankly I don't think he's a very good coach in any capacity), so I think he's off the bench altogether.

As for Murray and Barr, that sounds like two guys for one position.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Is Steve Valiquette available to be the goalie coach?

He is the one that was behind turning Dubnyk's play around and has helped Henrik in the past with his puck tracking methods.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dubnyk didn't really turn it around, he had a hot 2 months and his numbers normalized. Wild are making a mistake if they give him any more than 2 years.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Burke would be cool to get as a goalie coach. I haven't heard his name popping up as being a person of interest for any GM positions, so maybe he'll go back to being a coach. Those are lofty expectations though

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
You gotta think they keep Joe Mullen, the power play has been great under him.

Bringing Murray up is interesting, would he be open to an assistant position?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am not seeing this in his stat line, he looked awfully consistent to me.

I'm bad at explaining this but I'll try - After April 1, he was .909, much more in line with his career average (.914), so was clearly tailing off. Those were all-time good numbers he was putting up, I don't think anyone believes that his white-hot stretch when he arrived in Minnesota is real, but he was also never as bad as he was last year (hence why I say normalizing, not that great, but he's still decent). I don't think he's sub-.910 either, he had some good years with the Oilers, but then that Oiler stench caught up with him, and the Oilers did Oilers things with him. Keep in mind, he was one of my hopeful targets last summer, for the very reason of what ended up happening with the Wild.

If my ex-Oiler rule applies, maybe he can be a .920, but he's probably around .917-ish, maybe a .920. Which is fine, but only that. It's still too small of a sample to give him a big contract. I still think the Wild should do what they can to sign him, it's not like Dubnyk has many other places to go. He'll probably end up somewhere in line with what Steve Mason got.

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

The 1st unit PP has been good under him, but I think it would be hard to mess up a PP with Giroux and Voracek on it. The second one has been garbage.

If I remember correctly, Murray said he didn't want to be a head coach, so he's most likely looking for an assistant coach position.

Jakeusson

May 20, 2015
Spookyville

Yea i dunno why people would oppose Murray as an assistant. He's said he'd like to stay here, that he doesn't want to be the AHL coach next year, and before we had a coach he said he wasn't interested in the head coaching role. I guess that leaves assistant coach. He'll do good work to develop our young players, and to help develop Hak as an NHL coach. It'd be a good hire.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Well, Murray would obviously be a perfect assistant to help Hakstol transition to the NHL, I hope they utilize him.

The 1st unit PP has been good under him, but I think it would be hard to mess up a PP with Giroux and Voracek on it. The second one has been garbage.

I can see the criticism on the 2nd PP. It would be interesting to bring in a fresh perspective on the PP, but I wouldn't want to mess up what's working. The second unit might get better quick once Ghost and Laughton make the transition. Hopefully Couts starts doing a little more with his time on it as well. Did Raffl get 2nd unit PP time this season? He should if he didn't.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure Terry Murray will be fine (again) as an assistant coach, although I would have preferred someone from the outside again. If NHL experience wasn't important in hiring Hakstol, then I don't think his lead assistant should be either, if they're keeping Joe Mullen and Gord Murphy - that's two guys who have been around for awhile, but I suspect Murphy isn't sticking around with Murray here.

For where the organization is at, his replacement is a bigger decision.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There should be some good candidates in Junior who are ready to move on to the AHL.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
There should be some good candidates in Junior who are ready to move on to the AHL.

AHL gigs aren't necessarily enough to sway junior coaches a lot of the time. Junior head coaching positions can be pretty comfy, and I can't imagine the difference in pay is substantial with some of the bigger CHL programs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just so long as it's not Morin's old coach. :laugh:

AHL gigs aren't necessarily enough to sway junior coaches a lot of the time. Junior head coaching positions can be pretty comfy, and I can't imagine the difference in pay is substantial with some of the bigger CHL programs.

That's true, but an AHL job with a organization like the Flyers could easily be a steeping stone to a NHL gig. And the Phantoms have a great new building now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad