Coaching staff shakeup?

LGB 26

Feb 14, 2012
Tampa
I posted that before the game and jesus christ, this is honestly the worst game iv ever watched. Ive known they had blow outs, but come on this was down right pitiful.

Felt awful for Garon having to put up with that ****.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-gm-no-shake-ups-yet/1277177
The Lightning is 3-9-1 in its past 13 games, and Thursday's 4-1 drubbing by the Rangers was so bad, general manager Steve Yzerman admitted, "We just look a bit rattled right now and unsure of ourselves and unsure of what we're doing and our responsibilities."

Even so, Yzerman said, "I think we have a pretty good team" and indicated he does not believe it is time for a shake-up despite the team's fall in the standings after a 6-1-0 start.

"We have a good coaching staff, and we have a good group of players," he said. "Things aren't going our way. It's sticking together and finding solutions and working at it. That's the only approach I know."
"Guy is a great communicator," center Steven Stamkos said. "It's come to the point where everyone, myself included, has to put those words into action. They can't hold our stick and go out there and play the game for us."

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I guess I am part of the minority. Offensively we shine but defensively our team D leaves alot to be desired. Regardless of the goaltenders, we are out of position, soft in front of the net and just overall uncommitted to playing D. That falls on the coaching staff no matter how you twist the facts, besides a fluke yr with Roloson, this team has been at the bottom in regards to protecting the net.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Chicago 2010 SCF winner
head coach: Joel Quinneville
assistant: Mike Haviland
assistant: John Torchetti

Chicago 2013 season
head coach: Joel Quinneville
assistant: Mike Kitchen
assistant: Jamie Kompon

thajewbear

Mar 5, 2013
Boucher is an excellent head coach. I think if we get rid of him we make our chances of seeing a championship much worse honestly. I haven't seen anything this season to deem him responsible for this sloppy season. The coach is not always the scapegoat.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Boucher might be a great head coach but it looks like he needs some extra help on his coaching staff - someone with a fair amount of NHL coaching experience. First year, he had Fleming on his staff, and it was reported repeatedly how much Boucher relied on Wayne's advice and knowledge, specifically what Wayne's take was on game film. Since that has been absent, the "system" appears flawed. Worried that since Boucher's assistants were with him before at Hamiliton that he will not be open to changes being made. Of course, he ultimately doesn't have a choice but it would not be beneficial to the club if he is resistant due to loyalties.

The players definitely deserve some blame for the difficulties of this season, but it can't just be effort, especially from defensive players. Tampa on paper didn't have a top of the league defense, but it was significantly improved based on the players added. Then comes the regression of defensive players on Tampa's blueline - something is not working with the system or structure they are being asked to adopt. That should be a big red flag to the coaching staff - not that the players lack effort/heart but that maybe the staff needs to re-evaluate their instructions.

Guy said when he became head coach that he was coaching players not systems - but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It's like they are going to continue to force players to match a system rather than adapt the system (somewhat) to the players you have on your roster.

And goalie coach has to change next year - that is a must. No goaltender on this team is really progressing - it again cannot be chalked up to the talent level of the goaltender - there have been too many for that. Can't have goaltenders leave and then mention how their new coaching is helping their game, for that to have no reflection on the goaltending coach within the organization. And I still am bothered by what Roloson said last year - that he tried listening to the instructions given to him by Jean (and of course Dwayne was awful during that time) before deciding to switch back to his own methods and suddenly playing well.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
https://twitter.com/BoltProspects/status/309400112541609986
Swedish paper says former NHLer Ulf Samuelsson could be asst coach w/ #TBLightning next year: http://m.expressen.se/sport/hockey/elitserien/elitserietranare-ar-pa-vag-tillbaka-till-nhl/ … (h/t @GurraDahlstrand)

http://m.expressen.se/sport/hockey/elitserien/elitserietranare-ar-pa-vag-tillbaka-till-nhl/

Translated:
Modo's head coach Ulf Samuelsson may be headed back to the NHL.
According to information provided to SPORT-Expressen he has been offered a coaching job in Tampa Bay Lightning organization.
- I have not received any offers from anyone. That should I do after the season just in case anything goes, says Samuelsson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Id like to see a veteran coach brought in as an assistant to work with the goalies and defense. I think Boucher is good with his offensive game and coaching. Scoring isnt the problem. Defense and goalies have really sucked. They need to do something about it. They have changed personnel there a few times. Time to make a coaching change there now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If there's truth to the report, then Samuelsson would logically be replacing Dan Lacroix in handling the defense as Ulf was a defenseman.

Samuelsson has sort of always been a concern from an outsider's perspective because of the way he played, although he did seem to be on the good side of a lot of guys as well given that he was an assistant with Gretzky during his years in Phoenix and Gretzky can get anyone he wants.

The record of his teams is another thing, but of course just looking at the record, it's hard to come to any sort of conclusion that feels comfortable. He was retained by Dave Tippett though so that's a very good sign to me.

There is Lindback and to a more notable extent, Hedman in the lineup that Samuelsson may be able to connect to because of Sweden.

It may also be erroneous python as it could be that SFY has shown some level of interest, although not necessarily offered.

We shouldn't forget that the team pretty much needs to ensure they've got a replacement lined up so they don't dump a coach and then find out they can't get somebody better so even if it doesn't seem like it, the wheels may be in motion.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Well coached teams tend to overachieve IMO. Poorly coached teams tend to underachieve. We have only had a few injuries, so that isn't a legit excuse. So do you believe this team has over or under achieved?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Well coached teams tend to overachieve IMO. Poorly coached teams tend to underachieve. We have only had a few injuries, so that isn't a legit excuse. So do you believe this team has over or under achieved?

Clearly the bolded.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Best shift of the 3rd period was Labrie, Conacher and Palat. Too bad that was their only shift. Glad we got to see more Purcell, Vinny, Malone than any fans should be forced to view...

Place Lee on waivers, bench Carle, Bring up Gudas and play Mikkelson. Bring up Korobov and release Brewer. Lee, Brewer and Carle are absolute ****.

It's too late to fire a coach and have it mean **** for this organization. Fire em after the end of the season, hire Cooper. Let him be involved in the draft.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It's sad because I really like Boucher, but how the Conacher/Palat/Labrie line wasn't played more tonight is beyond me. I still have my faith in him. But more than that, I have faith in the Yz. We must trust his judgement, for he is our savior.

**** gets worse before it gets better. Believe it.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
It's sad because I really like Boucher, but how the Conacher/Palat/Labrie line wasn't played more tonight is beyond me. I still have my faith in him. But more than that, I have faith in the Yz. We must trust his judgement, for he is our savior.

**** gets worse before it gets better. Believe it.

I'm not sold on him, yet.

Stamkos deal - sure.
Brewer deal - sure, at the time - definitely not paying off now.
Lindback deal - sure, worth a shot.
Ridding of Downie, Moore, Bergenheim? Not so sure.
Carle deal - GTFO.

He could be responding to what Boucher wants in his system: no non-sense, less-risk or less-aggressive style. If this is the case, he soon has to recognize it is not working in its current implementation.

What has worked recently? The things Boucher talks about, or the things he laments? Killorn, Conacher, Labrie when they play their way or Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone when they play Boucher's way?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Stamkos deal - sure.
Brewer deal - sure, at the time - definitely not paying off now.
Lindback deal - sure, worth a shot.
Ridding of Downie, Moore, Bergenheim? Not so sure.
Carle deal - GTFO.

Downie was in a contract year, was under performing, and I'm guessing from preliminary talks he didn't want to take a pay cut.

Moore was a good player on a bad team, no reason to hold him back when he had a chance on a playoff run, was in the last year of his contract as well.

Bergenheim wanted to be paid for his playoff performance without counting in his regular season performance. Look at him now with the contract Panthers gave him, no thank you.

Carle was a player that was needed for Boucher's system. Not thrilled about his contract but it was a byproduct of the market he was signed in.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Best shift of the 3rd period was Labrie, Conacher and Palat. Too bad that was their only shift. Glad we got to see more Purcell, Vinny, Malone than any fans should be forced to view...

It's too late to fire a coach and have it mean **** for this organization. Fire em after the end of the season, hire Cooper. Let him be involved in the draft.

My god, the line with the most energy on the team sits for hours between shifts, Lecavalier Purcell and Malone have more skill but their legs die after about 10 seconds on the ice, it makes MUCH more sense to have them rest longer for more on ice impact in smaller samples, while Conacher and crew grind the opposition down.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
We can argue whether the players or the coach or Bettman is the problem. But the solution is Cooper or another coach. Sadly it is the easiest move that can stimulate a change in the culture: one that accepts mediocrity (being generous) and losing. Cooper has a track record of winning, has players who outperform their regular abilities and has earned an opportunity at the NHL level.

I'm interested in the players only meeting tonight and even letting Boucher stay the season, but I'd expect some improvement from the team between now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad