Coaching staff shakeup?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Do you guys think that if the Lightning miss the playoffs this year we'll see a shakeup in the coaching staff? The way I see it, Boucher is on the hot seat now and he needs to show results. The team has improved it's personnel every year and has actually done worse in the standings as time goes on (our last 2 years in relation to the first year under Boucher). The guy has got tons of talent, youth, and leadership on this team to at least be THE team in the SE, but as of right now we are 1 point ahead of Carolina and Winnipeg (Carolina has 1 game in hand) and 3 ahead of the Panthers. I'm sorry, but that's just not acceptable. He needs to show results soon or I think a shakeup may be coming this offseason.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I disagree. The Yz has consistently said that he thinks Guy Boucher is the one who can bring a championship to Tampa. Also, we definitely got worse last year compared to the year prior. This is we are much better. Furthermore, it is a shortened season. If after next season we don't get to the playoffs with good personnel, I think we just might.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I disagree. The Yz has consistently said that he thinks Guy Boucher is the one who can bring a championship to Tampa. Also, we definitely got worse last year compared to the year prior. This is we are much better. Furthermore, it is a shortened season. If after next season we don't get to the playoffs with good personnel, I think we just might.

I suppose I agree about the shortened season, but I do feel he's on the hot seat and needs to show some results soon.

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
Guy isn't going anywhere and I don't see how this slump is his fault. The team isnt burying chances, then they get frustrated, over pass, and lose. The team started off the season great and Boucher was never brought up. The team is just in a slump, as mad as I am.

we go on a 5 game win streak this will be a non-issue and people will love Guy again. Do you think there is a better option right now? Boucher is arguably one of the top young coaches in hockey.

I am upset as everyone else, but I am more upset at guys who give up on plays or over pass. I don't see it as a strategy issue, Guy has been great at fixing problems that come up and adjusting. 2nd periods were a problem, thats fixed. The powerplay was a problem, that has been better (until the slump). The team is slumping have some faith, we arent a loaded team and we have a young goalie who is going to take time.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Guy isn't going anywhere and I don't see how this slump is his fault. The team isnt burying chances, then they get frustrated, over pass, and lose. The team started off the season great and Boucher was never brought up. The team is just in a slump, as mad as I am.

we go on a 5 game win streak this will be a non-issue and people will love Guy again. Do you think there is a better option right now? Boucher is arguably one of the top young coaches in hockey.

Exactly, people are to trigger hungry, if you're blaming Boucher, you might as well blame Lecavalier for going 0/3 on breakaways the past 2 games and Stamkos for missing what has to be at least 5-10 extremely high scoring oppertunities, and St.louis for the massive amount of turn overs and dead plays he's been involved in thus far.

So what happens when we fire Boucher and nothing changes? We'll have lost one of the best coaches we've ever had, players still under-perform and then what?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Part of a coach's job is to light a fire under a player's ass, especially if they aren't playing well. Players have to realize that they need to perform, and the coach is the one that has to help them remember that. So when multiple players are under-performing on a team, yes I do think it's ok to look at the coach and question what he does behind the scenes. Based on what we see, what he's doing behind the scenes isn't working.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I disagree with you. Boucher can't strap on skates and play. This isn't a system issue, it's an effort issue. When veterans aren't putting the work in (Marty is ****ing floating out there), you can't put it on the coach.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Do you guys think that if the Lightning miss the playoffs this year we'll see a shakeup in the coaching staff? The way I see it, Boucher is on the hot seat now and he needs to show results.
No, it's still way to earlier. Boucher's not on a short leash and Yzerman in definitely not in a win now mode. Yzerman and Boucher are both looking at the big picture here. On paper yeah we look good, but unlike the Rangers nobody within the organization is projecting us to win it big or say it was an epic failure if we missed. Boucher and Yzerman know we have a young and inexperienced starting goalie and that effects a lot. We all want to get back to the playoffs but Boucher's trying to build a culture, and Yzerman is also looking to the future. Neither person is at a make or break point.
The team has improved it's personnel every year and has actually done worse in the standings as time goes on (our last 2 years in relation to the first year under Boucher).
I'd disagree. I'd say 2011 was the best by far and last year we were at our worst.

The guy has got tons of talent, youth, and leadership on this team to at least be THE team in the SE, but as of right now we are 1 point ahead of Carolina and Winnipeg (Carolina has 1 game in hand) and 3 ahead of the Panthers. I'm sorry, but that's just not acceptable. He needs to show results soon or I think a shakeup may be coming this offseason.
People are saying this is going to be a very close race. A few points could easily separate the division winners to the lottery bound teams. Heck, look how close last year was with a full schedule. We had the same amount of wins as the panthers who won the SE. So speaking of Boucher not getting results with all the talent we have, you should also judge him on what he did without it. He kept this team going last year after the trade deadline with guys like Segal, Angelidis, Wyman, Labrie, Smith, Commodore, Caron, and Wallace.

If we didn't start out as hot as we did, would we have these expectations? Nobody was questing Boucher or ______'s play on the ice then when we were feeling pretty invincible. It's incredibly frustrating right now. It's really, really frustrating right now, but a week ago with a 6-2-0 record, this thought isn't in anyone's mind and by next week it might not be either.

I suppose I agree about the shortened season, but I do feel he's on the hot seat and needs to show some results soon.
Boucher had a big discussion with EE during one of the media sessions this week about what was more important, the process or the results. Boucher was very firm in believing the process was much more important.

Part of a coach's job is to light a fire under a player's ass, especially if they aren't playing well. Players have to realize that they need to perform, and the coach is the one that has to help them remember that. So when multiple players are under-performing on a team, yes I do think it's ok to look at the coach and question what he does behind the scenes. Based on what we see, what he's doing behind the scenes isn't working.
It's also a coaches job to manage emotions and right now he's doing a good job of keep spirits up and focusing on the positives. I've questioned decisions he's made coaching, but psychologically he's a smart cookie. He knows how hard and when to push. I've never really questioned that. Again this week is just a small sample of a collection of struggles. Look to the past at all he's gotten out of players. And for the players they also need to be accountable somewhat and I think they do blame themselves while they look for answers on why they can't finish goals off like they did a week ago. Nothing anybody can do when Conacher or Stamkos misses a prime chance to change the game or when Carle or Salo have a brain fart.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's a mother****ing process.

That being said, we've talked about non-Boucher staff in the past and whether they were NHL quality or not.

There does seem to be a thing where if you're in good with Boucher, you'll be there forever, and I think that's the wrong approach. The process is the means towards an end, which is winning games (results) and having met Boucher pre-NHL does not make you an NHLer by proxy. Boucher's good, but not that good.

but I can't blame Boucher for the refs, chances not finished, or soft goals.

Last edited:

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
Guy wasn't the one who made the Lightning get off to a hot start nor is he to blame for the slump.

On another topic, people need to relax. Yes, the losing streak must stop and not get any worse but the whole goal is to make the playoffs as the Kings were the best proof of that fact.

Sure, 7th and 8th seeds won't be doing that every season and the Lightning would be doing themselves a favor by getting a high seed but I don't see the reason for people wanting to jump off a ledge.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
And bring in who?

Think we're getting a little trigger happy right now. There are some coaching adjustments he needs to make. Stamkos and St. Louis need to be split up ASAP and Malone and Purcell need a boot to the ass (I know Malone didn't play last night, but honestly if I hadn't heard it at the beginning of the game I'm not sure I would have noticed he was missing. He's been missing all season).

At some point in time there needs to be some accountablility from the players on this mess. You can have a coaching carousel ala Capitals and it won't make one damn bit of difference if the players don't start holding themselves responsible. I want to see Marty give a post game locker room interview and say "I sucked, I was bad in the defensive zone, floated through the neutral zone and I'm scared to shoot the puck because the goalie might hurt me." Something. Sick of the same old boilerplate crap from the players about getting their chances and having to work harder. Quit saying it and go do it.

But if we must fire a coach, Franz Jean can go bye bye any time.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not an advocate of losing Boucher but ill put this out there.

Next season Jon Cooper will have an NHL coaching job. IF you're going to make a coaching move, wouldn't that be the time to do it and keep the best young coach available inside the organization?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Not an advocate of losing Boucher but ill put this out there.

Next season Jon Cooper will have an NHL coaching job. IF you're going to make a coaching move, wouldn't that be the time to do it and keep the best young coach available inside the organization?

Agree with this entire post, including the ifs.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It seems like a lot of people are forgetting about the part where I said this would be happening this offseason (or after the next full season a couple posts later). I'm not saying that we need to get rid of Boucher right now, that's silly and premature even in my eyes. But there's no reason to give Boucher an unnecessary amount of time just because he preaches "process over results". You can go through all the process you want, but eventually you need to show some results. Also, the part about the players holding themselves responsible is true, but sometimes a coach has to hold a player responsible if they aren't gonna do it themselves. In my opinion, when so many players aren't listening to the coach or following his system, that's a sign of no respect for the coach. I don't see any reason why so many players just look lost and unmotivated out there. If it's one or two players, fine...but this is half the team, if not more.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We're an excitable bunch.

MUi2ZXD.gif

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
You can fault the players for missing the chances but you cant fault them entirely when our zone entry looks like a 2-3. One guy with the puck, one waiting for that god awful drop pass and three STANDING at the blue line, whether its a powerplay or even strength.

Its coaching. You can say you dont want to get rid of him, and neither do I, but the problem lies within the coaching.

For the last 4 games, you mean to tell me with the way we played we could've won them all? Look at the damn goalies we played, Bryzgalov(though we could have certainly won that one lol...), Brodeur, and Lundqvist twice. The players not passing on odd man rushes is their problem I know but its not like they were going to pick those goalies apart. Those are elite tenders, the chances we had were there, burying them was a problem but the goalies made great saves. Everybodys confidence is low so that doesnt help either.

Here's what i dont think is the players fault:
-lack of speed
-lack of a forecheck, excluding the 3rd/4th line
-lack of possession, they play hot potato in our zone and just throw it away
-giveaways
-zone entry
-special teams

That can be some of the players mishaps but the leader of the ship is the captain, the leader of a team is the coach, the direction that its supposed to take is solely on the coach's responsibility to react to situations, in which he isnt benching players or moving them down but instead neglecting the issues such as hope passes and playing Marty and Stamkos together.

It needs to end. Seriously it does. There is no effort, no motivation, no fire under their ass, just completely sour since they left the forum. Do you really think a team cant score more than 1 goal away from home and since they arent at the Forum, they cant enter the offensive zone?

Turn this into a "Boucher isnt the one missin the net or passing" and you've reached for straws. I like him, I really do, but as a coach, its his responsibility at this time to send a message to his deckhands. I want him to be our coach, I dont want him gone, but this isnt just the players faults, and every one of you know that.

TurboBrick

Mar 26, 2012
SATX
They need to do some beach yoga or something. That's seemed to work in the past.

They all need to go to Sweetbay and make some sandwiches. Remember Roloson last year? Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that his play improved dramatically after the Roli Reuben launch.

Seriously though, WTF is up with the road games? How in the hell can we be this awful when we don't get to set the matchups? I get it last year but not anymore. Boucher is a very smart guy (no pun intended), is he being too nice to the players? Do we need a Mike Keenan grade hardass assistant coach there to play the bad cop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad