Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I honestly don't remember this, which is surprising :laugh:

I do remember at the time Therrien was fired I thought it was incredibly unfair. The team he took to the Finals lost depth that wasn't adequately replace in the summer and he lost Gonchar before the season started. Things that didn't get corrected until after he was fired.

we agreed on that part.

The argument was in relation to Lindy Ruff... and firing him late in the season to jump start a fledgling team... 2011/12

we argued over whether a coach can make a difference in that manner... Bylsma was raised as an example, and you always countered with the roster change argument, which was true... but also ignored the real component of a new voice in the room after a coach has worn his out...

the irony now... is that the huge roster change component in Therien to Bylsma is ignored by certain posters... while the real impact Bylsma had, as the new voice in the room, is largely irrelevant to Buffalo's current state.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
If Bylsma comes here, consider it Tim Murray's first major misstep since becoming GM.

Those who think he gave too much value in the Winnipeg deal probably consider it Misstep #2.

I don't mind the Winnipeg deal...but I don't want Bylsma as our coach.

I can't get past his major mismanagement of the first round war with Philly a few years ago; he was a total failure as a HC in that series.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
If Bylsma comes here, consider it Tim Murray's first major misstep since becoming GM.

Those who think he gave too much value in the Winnipeg deal probably consider it Misstep #2.

I can't get past his major mismanagement of the first round war with Philly a few years ago; he was a total failure as a HC in that series.

Who would you rather have hired instead?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not sure that this distinction you're drawing between a coach being "fired" and "relieved of his duties" exists. I'd assume that coaching contracts are guaranteed, so a coach that gets fired is still being paid by the team, even when he's no longer coaching. It has nothing to do with whether the team's press release says he was "relieved of his duties" versus "fired".

It sounds as if the Pens still consider him an employee of their organization simply because they compensate him. It seems that there'd be no draft pick compensation if the Pens and Bylsma reached a settlement (e.g., 70% of remaining compensation) or the Pens simply said, "here's all the money we owe you, go take a long walk off a short cliff."

It seems Pittsburgh is saying that they still employ the guy, and, thus, they're entitled to compensation. That was certainly not the intent of this rule.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'm not big on Bylsma, but I'm willing to give him a chance to see if he has learned from his first stint. Many Pitt fans have said he can get a team to buy in and play hard for him and play his system. That is the type of coach needed to turn this team from cellar dweller to play-off contender. Will he be the coach that turns us into a cup contender? We'll see..

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Who would you rather have hired instead?

I'm in wait and see mode right now if I'm Murray.

I'd love Claude if he gets fired. There were also rumblings that Detroit is going to conduct a thorough search of their own and that Blashill is not a slam dunk for the Red Wings job. I'd take either of those cats in a heartbeat over Bylsma.

If Murray has some grand scheme to use Bylsma to get us from here to there in the short term, fine. I don't think that is Murray's intention in hiring him though, if in fact he is hired!

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015

Yeah, TM is clueless. We should just have the fans hire our next coach, considering we get to interview them and everything.:sarcasm:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Misstep #3 for those who didn't like the Neuvirth deal. :naughty:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Ah the internet echo chamber.

Where hiring a coach the vast majority people have never met or worked with/played for, is a sure fire mistake the minute the contract is signed.

People may or may not like the hiring, but, you can't with any accuracy determine the hiring to be a mistake or not before he actually coaches a game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm in wait and see mode right now if I'm Murray.

I'd love Claude if he gets fired. There were also rumblings that Detroit is going to conduct a thorough search of their own and that Blashill is not a slam dunk for the Red Wings job. I'd take either of those cats in a heartbeat of Bylsma.

If Murray has some grand scheme to use Bylsma to get us from here to there in the short term, fine. I don't think that is Murray's intention in hiring him though, if in fact he is hired!

How long were you willing to wait for Julien? Because you know that if Boston ended up keeping him while Bylsma got plucked by the Devils, TBN and its cohorts would be screaming from the rooftop that waiting was the misstep. Right?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The rule was put in to compensate teams from losing coaches who were being allowed to go on to bigger and better things. If Blashill was allowed to go on to an NHL team to further his career then that is what the rule was created for. But the wording is "any coach or GM under contract" so it's very broad and teams are taking advantage of that. The "spirit" of the rule is already being broken less than a year after being created.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Not happy to hear the pens are trying to get compensation for Bylsma.

You know they should be happy just to have him off their books, but they must figure someone's going to hire him so they might as well get a pick for it because they can.

Call their bluff!

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It sounds as if the Pens still consider him an employee of their organization simply because they compensate him. It seems that there'd be no draft pick compensation if the Pens and Bylsma reached a settlement (e.g., 70% of remaining compensation) or the Pens simply said, "here's all the money we owe you, go take a long walk off a short cliff."

It seems Pittsburgh is saying that they still employ the guy, and, thus, they're entitled to compensation. That was certainly not the intent of this rule.

Pittsburgh could certainly just forgo any compensation. Still the rule as it's written seems to grant the team the right to seek compensation and that certainly seems to be an issue with the rule.

Still, just google "Tortorella request permission". Teams having to request permission to talk to fired coaches who still have term remaining on their contract has been standard operating procedure in the NHL for years. Teams having the right to deny their fired coach permission to interview for a job has been in place. The only real difference now is that teams have some incentive to try to leverage that power now that they're able to get draft pick compensation.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
How long were you willing to wait for Julien? Because you know that if Boston ended up keeping him while Bylsma got plucked by the Devils, TBN and its cohorts would be screaming from the rooftop that waiting was the misstep. Right?
example of the egg shells that Tim Murray walks on.

NOTE: it wouldn't just be TBN but fans as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
the rule was put in to compensate teams from losing coaches who were being allowed to go on to bigger and better things. If blashill was allowed to go on to an nhl team to further his career then that is what the rule was created for. But the wording is "any coach or gm under contract" so it's very broad and teams are taking advantage of that. The "spirit" of the rule is already being broken less than a year after being created.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

There is still time to sort out the coaching position. I don't share the TBN hate fetish of most on this board; I don't care about any of that.

I wouldn't consider us being left high and dry if Julien does not become available and Bylsma goes elsewhere in the interim. There are always other options.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There is still time to sort out the coaching position. I don't share the TBN hate fetish of most on this board; I don't care about any of that.

I wouldn't consider us being left high and dry if Julien does not become available and Bylsma goes elsewhere in the interim. There are always other options.
Im curious as to who? You must have a favorite coach in mind to think like this. If not then your being a "hater" on Bylsma for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad