Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
MOD WARNING

This thread is to look forward and debate the Sabres possible future coach. All debate on the Babcock situation can stay in the assigned thread.

Last edited:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think it would be wise for the Sabres brass to get Bylsma in here ASAP to interview. Let the whole fanbase and media start focusing on a new candidate. I know it came out that they want to wait until next week to interview people, but I think the quicker, the better.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Assuming he's let go, Julien's my favorite target now. If Murray doesn't want to wait for Sweeney to make his decision, I wouldn't be upset if he just went straight for Bylsma to get the decision over with.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This site is crazy pants, and that's not an insult. I love the write ups on all these guys.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-nhl-head-coaching-candidates/

I would love it if Tim Murray grabbed some guy out of Canadian college hockey to coach the Amerks, but NHL direct from McGill?

Also, anybody else wonder about Groulx? He sucked in Rochester, but the reports are that he's mellowed. Maybe not.

Muller and Sutter are interesting names.

I'll also throw a homer name out there: Mark Morris.

Barrasso

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2006
I'd prefer they wait a bit before a final decision. See what happens in Boston and anywhere else and also for the playoffs to be over if there are folks there that are truly of interest.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think I'm all in on Guy Boucher. I'd love to know what system he's be running in Bern.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm leaning towards someone like Julien. You know exactly what you're getting and that includes some flaws. But he's good enough to win you a cup if you have the talent.

I'd ultimately prefer a young up and coming coach, but there's so much risk with that. The ol' risk/reward. We all want a Jon Cooper, but chances are more likely you get a bust or a medicore coach that way.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Assuming the miraculous that all are available:

1. Dave Tippett
2. John Stevens
3. Claude Julien
4. Ken Hitchcock

To me, any of these four are no brainers.

Stevens may look like the oddity there, but that man did a good job with a youthful PHI team and has had success in a winning environment recently. He is a guy I've always had an eye on for another opportunity six years later.

He's the kind of guy willing to bend his ways to maximize what he had. He went 120-109 in the years with the Flyers, but it's more than that to me. It's the Phantoms' Calder Cup... It's the LA success. It's the fact that he knows the game well and won't say "go out and work," rather "go out, attack the right side because they're thin on RHD, and lines 2&4 will send two men in with 1&3 only one... And Girgensons, you're doubling because you've locked down both of their top guys tonight at ES and PK".... ETC

Philly looked systematic and prepared under him. They just weren't that good, especially on D and in goal.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
1. Heavily prefer Claude Julien
2. if it can't be Julien, please let it be someone with experience developing talent and implementing an effective system in today's game
3. but definitely not Blysma or Guy Boucher
4. If it has to be a newbie, at least it's not Blysma or Guy Boucher

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
1. Heavily prefer Claude Julien
2. if it can't be Julien, please let it be someone with experience developing talent and implementing an effective system in today's game
3. but definitely not Blysma or Guy Boucher
4. If it has to be a newbie, at least it's not Blysma or Guy Boucher

Who fills #2 on your list?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Assuming the miraculous that all are available:

1. Dave Tippett
2. John Stevens
3. Claude Julien
4. Ken Hitchcock

To me, any of these four are no brainers.

Stevens may look like the oddity there, but that man did a good job with a youthful PHI team and has had success in a winning environment recently. He is a guy I've always had an eye on for another opportunity six years later.

He's the kind of guy willing to bend his ways to maximize what he had. He went 120-109 in the years with the Flyers, but it's more than that to me. It's the Phantoms' Calder Cup... It's the LA success. It's the fact that he knows the game well and won't say "go out and work," rather "go out, attack the right side because they're thin on RHD, and lines 2&4 will send two men in with 1&3 only one... And Girgensons, you're doubling because you've locked down both of their top guys tonight at ES and PK".... ETC

Philly looked systematic and prepared under him. They just weren't that good, especially on D and in goal.

I'm pretty sure Stevens is locked in in LA. I can't see Tippett opting out for Buffalo. I can't see Claude or Hitch being let go. I could see St. Louis getting Tippett to bail on Ari to come coach a team ready to win. Then I could see Boston grabbing Hitch. In this scenario, I could see Julien coming free. So it'd be very complicated to get any of these guys.

Leafs2020

May 20, 2015
Moncton, NB, Canada
I'm pretty sure Stevens is locked in in LA. I can't see Tippett opting out for Buffalo. I can't see Claude or Hitch being let go. I could see St. Louis getting Tippett to bail on Ari to come coach a team ready to win. Then I could see Boston grabbing Hitch. In this scenario, I could see Julien coming free. So it'd be very complicated to get any of these guys.

Should be a decision on Hitchcock before the weekend so brass could go after him after that depending on if he's sticking around St.Louis or not.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
What about Paul MacLean? His record declined in Ottawa but in his first two years as head coach he was nominated for the Jack Adams Award twice, and won it the second time. Also, he had some pretty young and inexperienced talents on his rosters and they've turned out pretty good (Karlsson, Zibanejad, Silverberg, Stone...

The guy has experience, seems to develop talents (or atleast not destroy them) and has a cool 'stache. He's perfect. ;)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Who fills #2 on your list?

nobody super exciting... my top 2 choices would be:
Paul Maclean
Kevin Dineen

followed by retreading good solid coaches...
Claude Noel
Ron Wilson
Marc Crawford
Andy Murray
John Stevens

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Craig Custance
‏@CraigCustance

Sabres moving on quickly from Babcock. Have received permission to interview Dan Bylsma.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm in the Claude Julien camp for my primary target if he becomes available. His ability to build a system for his players to flourish in, his ability to develop guys, and the aggressiveness he has his team play, it would become invaluable here. We are still in the development phase of our franchise. We have the work ethic started in our young guys. Now we need to find a system that takes advantage of their skills.

Regardless if we got Babcock or not, we still would need to go through the proper steps. Seeing as Claude did this in Boston, I am confident in his abilities to do that here. That is why he is my main guy.

Hitchcock would probably be my 2nd option if he became available. His teams always played a heavy two-way game. When given talented players he performed well. They just couldn't get over the hump of the Chicago's of the West.

After them two, I would probably then look at up and comers as I don't really think Dan Bylsma would be a good fit here.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
nobody super exciting... my top 2 choices would be:
Paul Maclean
Kevin Dineen

followed by retreading good solid coaches...
Claude Noel
Ron Wilson
Marc Crawford
Andy Murray
John Stevens

So...we're all in on Claude being let go by Boston? :laugh:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I want a coach with a cup on his resume. Bylsma, Julien and Hitchcock would be great but looks like the Blues will keep Hitch. Do we really want to wait on Julien also?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Craig Custance
‏@CraigCustance

Sabres moving on quickly from Babcock. Have received permission to interview Dan Bylsma.

Im going to cry if we were "this close" to Babcock, and end up with Blysma... that's like the complete opposite ends of the coaching spectrum IMO.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
This site is crazy pants, and that's not an insult. I love the write ups on all these guys.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-nhl-head-coaching-candidates/

I would love it if Tim Murray grabbed some guy out of Canadian college hockey to coach the Amerks, but NHL direct from McGill?

Also, anybody else wonder about Groulx? He sucked in Rochester, but the reports are that he's mellowed. Maybe not.

Good list.

I haven't heard Mike Kitchen's name mentioned alot. I like his resume and would like to see him interviewed if available.

I'd like to see Kevin Dineen and Brent Sutter on the list to be considered as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille