Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No coach would agree to that, for many many reasons.

I agree. Though under the current rule, it wouldn't surprise me if teams start "relieving duties" of coaches/execs who they think may be hired elsewhere during the life of the contract. And why wouldn't you if you're the employing team? You're likely getting a pick between 61-75 at the cost of keeping someone on the payroll for another year or two--or less than that, in some cases (e.g., Chiarelli).

In any event, this rule is going to be amended soon to reflect this very situation. Either the pick is going to be knocked down (4th or 5th rounder?), or there'll be no compensation for an individual no longer providing services to the team that "relieved duties."

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They're probably only doing it now because people called them out for not doing it for Shero.

And because the precedent wasn't really set yet. Chiarelli was hired after Shero, right? That may have been the first time under the new rules compensation was requested and granted for a fired employee. Pittsburgh probably assumed everyone would play it reasonable and not seek compensation under these circumstances, but now that it appears it will be the norm it'd be pretty dumb of them not to as one day they'll be paying compensation to someone else under the same circumstances.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not incorrect, and those 3 did make significant playoff contributions. But 2 out of the starting 12 forwards alone did not turn that team around to even make the playoffs.

Adding a #1 dman and two top line wingers to roster means its no longer the same roster as before. Its not really a debatable point.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not incorrect, and those 3 did make significant playoff contributions. But 2 out of the starting 12 forwards alone did not turn that team around to even make the playoffs.

Gonchar was the rock behind that system offensively... and he was out for the entire year under Therien... he was essentially the PK Subban of that team.

Adding 2 top 6 wingers that perfectly complimented their all star centers and also pushed the fodder down the lineup (yes, Satan, Sykora, Fedotenko were 4th-6th in ES ice time... before acquiring Kunitz and Guerin)

So to pretend like Bylsma orchestrated a massive turnaround is misleading.

Yes, his impact was certainly felt, but it was in no way different than any other mid-season firing where a coach who has worn out his welcome among the players.

The reality is that Bylsma's hiring coincided with the return of a franchise/system running defensemen, and a massive injection of talent that aligned the lineup with more talent up top and likewise, deeper in the bottom 6.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I hope at the PC that they have a big banner in the background that says, "Welcome your new coach of the Buffalo Sabres, Mike Babcock" and they just cross out Babcock and in marker write Bylsma. Would be fitting for this whole situation. :)

I hope Bylsma is the hire and the team can move on filling out the staff and really focus on a good hire for Rochester. I was really impressed how all the goalies responded this year under Irbe, hopefully he is a strong consideration for Byslma as goalie coach.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Well honestly. coaches and GMs only have to blame themselves for being stuck in limbo with their former clubs. They should demand an out clause that if they get fired their contract gets bought out immediately for a percentage.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I agree. Though under the current rule, it wouldn't surprise me if teams start "relieving duties" of coaches/execs who they think may be hired elsewhere during the life of the contract. And why wouldn't you if you're the employing team? You're likely getting a pick between 61-75 at the cost of keeping someone on the payroll for another year or two--or less than that, in some cases (e.g., Chiarelli).

In any event, this rule is going to be amended soon to reflect this very situation. Either the pick is going to be knocked down (4th or 5th rounder?), or there'll be no compensation for an individual no longer providing services to the team that "relieved duties."

I'm not sure that this distinction you're drawing between a coach being "fired" and "relieved of his duties" exists. I'd assume that coaching contracts are guaranteed, so a coach that gets fired is still being paid by the team, even when he's no longer coaching. It has nothing to do with whether the team's press release says he was "relieved of his duties" versus "fired".

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So whats the wrangling with the Pens likely about? Having to compensate at all? Or which year we will give our 3rd rounder?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I hope at the PC that they have a big banner in the background that says, "Welcome your new coach of the Buffalo Sabres, Mike Babcock" and they just cross out Babcock and in marker write Bylsma. Would be fitting for this whole situation. :)

I hope Bylsma is the hire and the team can move on filling out the staff and really focus on a good hire for Rochester. I was really impressed how all the goalies responded this year under Irbe, hopefully he is a strong consideration for Byslma as goalie coach.

It should just be the 'abcock' part replaced with 'ylsma'

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Adding a #1 dman and two top line wingers to roster means its no longer the same roster as before. Its not really a debatable point.

its funny because we've had this argument in the past. But we were on different sides. Now, both those sides align to tell the full Bylsma story as it relates to the Sabres. :laugh:

JackTheRipper

Feb 11, 2015
as soon as the hire is announced... the bolded is all that matters to me.

i dont care about cup/adams
i don't care about his previously failed scheme
i don't care about the void over developing players on his resume

it's all in the past... the negatives cease to matter

but the only positive i had to latch on to, is the bolded

That "failed" scheme made him the fastest coach in NHL history to win 250 games :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well honestly. coaches and GMs only have to blame themselves for being stuck in limbo with their former clubs. They should demand an out clause that if they get fired their contract gets bought out immediately for a percentage.

It's a new NHL rule that came into place after Bylsma signed his contract in Pittsburgh. Heck, I think it came into being around the time he was fired in Pittsburgh.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
its funny because we've had this argument in the past. But we were on different sides. Now, both those sides align to tell the full Bylsma story as it relates to the Sabres. :laugh:

I honestly don't remember this, which is surprising :laugh:

I do remember at the time Therrien was fired I thought it was incredibly unfair. The team he took to the Finals lost depth that wasn't adequately replaced in the summer and he lost Gonchar before the season started. Things that didn't get corrected until after he was fired. Well in Gonchar's case he had just returned right before the firing.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
It has to be giving them any compensation at all for a guy the Pens "relieved of his duties" with no role in the organization.

My belief is we knew we'd be paying compensation the entire time.
I thought there was something that said the team hiring the fired employee could do some sort of cash compensation rather than a pick?:dunno: If that was the case obviously we're gonna go cash compensation rather than give up a pick. But after not recieving a pick from NJ(which I believe was a respect thing, not taking compensation for the Godfather's replacement) now they want a pick.

But I'm probably way off on everything and the cash compensation doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad