Coach Discussion: Coaching (Mod warning OP)

Should Paul Maurice be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very good points!!! My hope Maurice seriously read this and take it in. Very solid on suggestions and realistic points.

Maurice is no stranger to having his dmen hard gap in the nz. We utilized that tactic in 17-18 and he was looking to run it for the playi ns until our forwards all got injured in game 1. My main issue is that unsurprisingly the team was incredibly rusty and sloppy with it vs. Vancouver in the exhibition game after abandoning it as a strategy all season. We need Maurice to come to camp with a well developed system and waist no time implementing it so that it sticks as quickly as possible. Imo he also can't be as quick to abandon what he comes up with if there is some early adversity in terms of injuries or a lack of execution. Sloppy execution early should be expected with any major change especially with regards to how simplistic the scheme we ran last year was.

Reactions: rkp and WolfHouse

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice is no stranger to having his dmen hard gap in the nz. We utilized that tactic in 17-18 and he was looking to run it for the playi ns until our forwards all got injured in game 1. My main issue is that unsurprisingly the team was incredibly rusty and sloppy with it vs. Vancouver in the exhibition game after abandoning it as a strategy all season. We need Maurice to come to camp with a well developed system and waist no time implementing it so that it sticks as quickly as possible. Imo he also can't be as quick to abandon what he comes up with if there is some early adversity in terms of injuries or a lack of execution. Sloppy execution early should be expected with any major change especially with regards to how simplistic the scheme we ran last year was.
Jets had good NZ gaps last season, and were actually good at preventing controlled entries, as I recall. They were bad at retrieving pucks and evading forechecking, and really bad at breaking up possession in their own zone. Losing Buff, Trouba and Chiarot will do that.

Also, they played passively in the offensive zone, so they didn't generate enough chances and gave up transition too easily. I think this was deliberate, to try to shelter an inadequate D. Samberg and DeMelo seem likely to improve play in their own zone, and Samberg is known for closing out the neutral zone. It's not clear how they will improve the activation of their D in the offensive zone. Morrissey and Pionk would need to play more aggressively. Heinola is good in that area, too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets had good NZ gaps last season, and were actually good at preventing controlled entries, as I recall. They were bad at retrieving pucks and evading forechecking, and really bad at breaking up possession in their own zone. Losing Buff, Trouba and Chiarot will do that.

Also, they played passively in the offensive zone, so they didn't generate enough chances and gave up transition too easily. I think this was deliberate, to try to shelter an inadequate D. Samberg and DeMelo seem likely to improve play in their own zone, and Samberg is known for closing out the neutral zone. It's not clear how they will improve the activation of their D in the offensive zone. Morrissey and Pionk would need to play more aggressively. Heinola is good in that area, too.

Nice reply. However I think you may have misinterpreted the point I was trying to get across with regards to nz gaps. What I would like to see is our dmen aggressively stepping up in the nz or the offensive end to disrupt/fore turnovers. The goal is to prevent the opposition of being able to transition the puck out of their end or through the nz cleanly. This is very different then what we did last year. You are correct that we maintained a decent nz which forced a lot of dump ins but the team accomplished this by being very conservative in the offensive end by having our dmen and forward three vacate the zone early allowing us to have ample players back to prevent odd man rushes.

I get why Maurice ran a passive scheme but I still feel it was the wrong approach. While our defense has improved by a decent amount this year I would hardly call it and team defense an organizational strength. I expect us to be better at retrievals and breaking up cycles but I will maintain that the best defense for us is to spend as little time as possible in our end. While we gave up little in the way of odd man rushes last year we still allowed teams to very easily exit their end with control of the puck. This allowed them to continually get pucks in deep on us and forecheck which wore down our undermanned defense and allowed for significant opposition zone time.

I would like to see our coach approach the problem a different way this year. I want us to try to focus on preventing teams form having easy zone exits and an easy time in the nz. I think with our forwards we should be able to make teams pay off of nz turnovers. I also think our forward core should be deep enough and talented enough to control the puck for extended times in the opposition's end which will allow us to spend less time in our end.

I am aware that playing more aggressively will lead to a few more breakdowns and odd man rushes but we have a Vezina caliber goalie so we shouldn't be that afraid to give up some rush chances against if at the end of the day we are generating more chances and suppressing more then last year by keeping the puck out of our end.

With regards to the dmen I think its two parts. Morrissey clearly didn't trust his partner last year in Poolman so he wasn't confident jumping in that much. I don't believe that will be an issue with DeMelo this year, ditto with Pionk and Forbert/Samberg. The second point is that our scheme last year called for our dmen to be very conservative at the point so we didn't see that many forrays and switches. So having a trusted partner and a more robust and aggressive offensive scheme should allow some of our dmen the freedom to jump in.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Fascinating to read breakdowns of different systems. I had to look for a guide for all of them and this seems to be the most comprehensive one: Hockey Strategies and Systems - The Ultimate Guide

So I guess the process would have to entail (this is completely disregarding any "cap politics" that might have to be done, which is another layer on top of this all, among the million other things I'm most likely leaving out):

- Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of your players and what assets this gives the team (this needs to be broken down also into different categories)
- Eliminating systems that seem unlikely to yield positive results with team assets
- Going forward with a few systems in each category you think will yield most benefits with team assets (developing also counters to opposing systems or changes in systems)
- Rigorous testing of different combinations to find chemistry, aka styles that complement each other by either providing extraordinary boost in some niche (you can then neglect a weakness), or eliminating a major weakness in another niche (probably both offensive + defensive + team cohesion).

and much much much more.

Damn I have to give up because the more I think about it, the more variables you have to start taking into account. I'll just leave this here, consider it as an incomplete post.

Coaching sports seems cool though, all this chaos to bring order to, but still in a confined setting.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
saw a leafs post this but interesting info. maurice compared to rest of the the league career w-l record and pts%

ErO-iAbW4AU1MLP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
saw a leafs post this but interesting info. maurice compared to rest of the the league career w-l record and pts%

ErO-iAbW4AU1MLP
Of course the guy with the lowest point% started his NHL coaching career with Jets 1.0. Interesting tidbit on him though (from the good old days when an assistant would punch a player during a brawl lol)
Screenshot_20210108-144950_Chrome.jpg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Paul Maurice - by all accounts a really decent and nice guy.

No one can benefit more by winning in terms of improving their historical reputation than Paul Maurice. There is an element of success in having coached 1600 NHL games. But unfortunately, he has never won the last game of the year (championship), and he has logged the most losses out of all NHL coaches in history. If he eventually ends his career having never won the big game, and with the most losses in the history of the league, that will be a stain for him as a professional coach. If he wins the Stanley Cup, then the word Champion will always be with him and will overshadow anything about his losses.

There was a significant missed opportunity for him with the 17-18 Jets, having a Cup contending roster at his disposal but losing badly to a team that we were heavily favored to beat. Let's hope that the team magic comes back and we can seriously compete again. I don't think it is in the next couple of years, though. Our defense still needs a lot of work and an aging and declining Wheeler will be eating a lot of cap space for a while. So if he is going to win with the Jets, he probably needs to be our coach into the 2024-25 season and beyond, when we can more effectively allocate the $8.25M being wasted on Wheels. $8M contributes a lot of on ice talent. Additionally, our draft and develop organization currently fails to motivate and develop many of our key draft picks / talented roster players- they would rather leave town and publically say so either directly or through their agents. I can't be sure, but many indications are that Maurice himself contributes to this issue by inappropriately favoring underperforming vets. Let's face it, we have seen that play out with Maurice at the helm year after year. Maybe this is one of the reasons that he never wins the big game. IDK.

Do I think Paul will be our coach in 2024-25? Yes. I believe he will be the coach of the Jets forever. By believing that, I will receive a pleasant surprise if someday while I am still alive he either wins a cup with us, or while I am still alive he gets fired and we have a new coach who could do more to help us win.

Go Jets Go! Win a Cup, Paul!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

No one can benefit more by winning in terms of improving their historical reputation than Paul Maurice. There is an element of success in having coached 1600 NHL games. But unfortunately, he has never won the last game of the year (championship), and he has logged the most losses out of all NHL coaches in history. If he eventually ends his career having never won the big game, and with the most losses in the history of the league, that will be a stain for him as a professional coach. If he wins the Stanley Cup, then the word Champion will always be with him and will overshadow anything about his losses.

There was a significant missed opportunity for him with the 17-18 Jets, having a Cup contending roster at his disposal but losing badly to a team that we were heavily favored to beat. Let's hope that the team magic comes back and we can seriously compete again. I don't think it is in the next couple of years, though. Our defense still needs a lot of work and an aging and declining Wheeler will be eating a lot of cap space for a while. So if he is going to win with the Jets, he probably needs to be our coach into the 2024-25 season and beyond, when we can more effectively allocate the $8.25M being wasted on Wheels. $8M contributes a lot of on ice talent. Additionally, our draft and develop organization currently fails to motivate and develop many of our key draft picks / talented roster players- they would rather leave town and publically say so either directly or through their agents. I can't be sure, but many indications are that Maurice himself contributes to this issue by inappropriately favoring underperforming vets. Let's face it, we have seen that play out with Maurice at the helm year after year. Maybe this is one of the reasons that he never wins the big game. IDK.

Do I think Paul will be our coach in 2024-25? Yes. I believe he will be the coach of the Jets forever. By believing that, I will receive a pleasant surprise if someday while I am still alive he either wins a cup with us, or while I am still alive he gets fired and we have a new coach who could do more to help us win.

Great post. He’s here for the next four years. You made some great points on why I should lighten up and try to be positive. It’s not like he’s going anywhere anytime soon

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
It would be nice if I didn’t have to read the myth that Maurice favors aging vets in every thread.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Unfortunately the opportunity he missed was due to goaltending. Fleury was great, Helle was not.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's been disproven so many times it's almost become laughable, that is, if it wasn't so sad.
Yup, top six is Scheifele , Connor , Ehlers , Laine with Stastny and Wheeler . I still consider Scheifele young though.:laugh: So that's 4 young guys with 2 older guys out of the 6 .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yup, top six is Scheifele , Connor , Ehlers , Laine with Stastny and Wheeler . I still consider Scheifele young though.:laugh: So that's 4 young guys with 2 older guys out of the 6 .
I really expect Brighteyes to have a career season this year. Knowing what kind of person he is and how dedicated he is to his craft, he can't be happy with his performance last year. Obviously a PPG pace is not at all disappointing but I think there were areas of his game that were not great. Part of that was due to how much he played I think. Ray Ferraro was asked on TSN yesterday if Scheifele had more to give, and Ferraro said 'like what'? If you are offering me Mark Scheifele as my first line center, I am taking that deal every time. He is a legit first line C (some players have 2C's masquerading as 1C's). He went on to say that no player is perfect, do you want him to be a Selke winner? If so, expect 40 point seasons (which is very valid).

I do think that Mark could be a little more defensively focused in our zone (but the same could be said for 70% of our forwards.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really expect Brighteyes to have a career season this year. Knowing what kind of person he is and how dedicated he is to his craft, he can't be happy with his performance last year. Obviously a PPG pace is not at all disappointing but I think there were areas of his game that were not great. Part of that was due to how much he played I think. Ray Ferraro was asked on TSN yesterday if Scheifele had more to give, and Ferraro said 'like what'? If you are offering me Mark Scheifele as my first line center, I am taking that deal every time. He is a legit first line C (some players have 2C's masquerading as 1C's). He went on to say that no player is perfect, do you want him to be a Selke winner? If so, expect 40 point seasons (which is very valid).

I do think that Mark could be a little more defensively focused in our zone (but the same could be said for 70% of our forwards.
Ferraro is a smart guy, maybe once Maurice is gone we can get him for head coach. :laugh: Just a little joke to see what it's like to hammer Maurice. :laugh:

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think both he and Morrissey have big years this season. I like demeanor of both in camp this year. Scheifele seems to have put whatever it was that was bothering him in 18-19 and the first part of last year behind him and JoMo now seems to know how to handle that top pairing role mentally.

I do think Mark can be more consistent in his end without sacrificing too much offense. Noone is asking him to be a selke candidate.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think both he and Morrissey have big years this season. I like demeanor of both in camp this year. Scheifele seems to have put whatever it was that was bothering him in 18-19 and the first part of last year behind him and JoMo now seems to know how to handle that top pairing role mentally.

I do think Mark can be more consistent in his end without sacrificing too much offense. Noone is asking him to be a selke candidate.

Me too. I suspect that JMo was expecting to start the year with Buff, and may even have adjusted his game a bit for that prospect, based on how cerebral a player he is, and how much planning he's likely to have done ahead of the season. Then he becomes a first-line player with whatever scraps are fed to him, night after night, playing a million minutes, and carrying injuries for much if the season. He's been dependably good for years now, and seems to have formed a good understanding with DD. Can't see him having another year like the last one.

Scheif has less pressure with Stats centring a second scoring line, and should have a nice bounce back, especially since that line will hopefully not be playing for half the game and be better rested, even over the short season. I'm looking forward to putting the 2019-20 season well behind us. That was some excruciating hockey.

And, of course, Dave Lowry has more clout as a former player and coach than previous assistants -- can see him having a freer hand than they did, and hopefully we'll see some updates and positives for special teams.

Reactions: surixon

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Maurice could play two kids out of midget and a newborn baby on the top line, but if he has someone over 30 on the 4th line, there will be some screaming that he’s too pro-vet.

Am I crazy for wanting to wangle a tryout for our new arrival on that line?

I'm less concerned about a player's age than I am about talent and fit. If some combo of Lewis and Thompson help the team and add value through their play, and not just their intangibles, I won't be screaming about it -- especially if PM does what he's often said he'd do, and platoons our best prospects and vets through the lineup.

My concern is that we end up with Thompson, Lewis and Perrault as some kind of Get Off My Lawn line, and they spend 5-7 mins per night holding the line without pushing the play or scoring, and we revert to our the unbalanced scoring / shutdown / scrubs setup we've run so often.

It ain't the vets, it's the quality of those vets that bothers me most. But if he can find a balance, that's great.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Am I crazy for wanting to wangle a tryout for our new arrival on that line?

I'm less concerned about a player's age than I am about talent and fit. If some combo of Lewis and Thompson help the team and add value through their play, and not just their intangibles, I won't be screaming about it -- especially if PM does what he's often said he'd do, and platoons our best prospects and vets through the lineup.

My concern is that we end up with Thompson, Lewis and Perrault as some kind of Get Off My Lawn line, and they spend 5-7 mins per night holding the line without pushing the play or scoring, and we revert to our the unbalanced scoring / shutdown / scrubs setup we've run so often.

It ain't the vets, it's the quality of those vets that bothers me most. But if he can find a balance, that's great.

You shouldn’t believe everything you hear on the internet. Over the past three seasons the Jets have only one player with over 200 mins and less than 7:30 mins per game, Logan Shaw. The myth that Maurice plays his 4th line 5 mins a night that gets parroted around here is folly.

Reactions: Imcanadianeh

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You shouldn’t believe everything you hear on the internet. Over the past three seasons the Jets have only one player with over 200 mins and less than 7:30 mins per game, Logan Shaw. The myth that Maurice plays his 4th line 5 mins a night that gets parroted around here is folly.

Individual TOI can be misleading. 4th line players can get bumped up to other lines, or play PK or even PP. Show us the average TOI for the 3 guys that started the game as the 4th line playing together 5 on 5.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad