Coach Discussion: Coaching (Mod warning OP)

Should Paul Maurice be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm honestly not at all worried with Scheif getting 22 minutes a game. Laine, Ehlers and KC too. These guys are in prime shape and it is still early in the season. They've had a long off-season and are in tip top shape. You don't want to fall too far behind early in the season this year.
I would guess that Scheif especially knows what is best for his body and knows how to bounce back after a gruelling game but all 4 of those guys are able to handle 20-22 minutes a game every game.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Coming from behind to win in OT is not sustainable. It may show resilience, but the bigger question is why are you playing in a manor that requires you to win that way?

This team should be 0-3, but it is the results that count I guess. Winning games we shouldn't be and goaltending is masking just how poorly this team is playing.

The upside is, if Mo can actually get this team to play properly, we should still be in the running by the time that happens.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Coming from behind to win in OT is not sustainable. It may show resilience, but the bigger question is why are you playing in a manor that requires you to win that way?

This team should be 0-3, but it is the results that count I guess. Winning games we shouldn't be and goaltending is masking just how poorly this team is playing.

The upside is, if Mo can actually get this team to play properly, we should still be in the running by the time that happens.
The Jets' D was always going to be a weakness his season (and until Heinola and/or Samberg turns into a strong contributor). Losing DeMelo and Poolman made that D much worse, and playing a couple of games without Laine added to the woes by weakening both the top-6 and the bottom-6 (especially without Roslovic).

I didn't like their 1st period vs. Calgary, but they were very strong for most of that game.

They were shelled vs. the Leafs and Sens, but so much of that was really chaotic D play. Also, a lot of the poor play has been on the PK, which is really affected by the lack of D.

There are some positives. Laine and Ehlers and Connor needed to take a step forward this season. All three have shown signs of getting to another level (I'm hoping that Ehlers' poor play in the past couple of games were an aberration due to injury / illness, considering his sparkling game 1 performance). Lowry / Copp have been really strong and look like they are getting back to their dominance of a couple of years ago. Goalies are solid.

The 4th line with Thompson is unnecessarily bad. Harkins still hasn't gotten back to his level of last season. I hope we get a chance to see Gustafsson and Vesalainen relatively soon.

Reactions: ps241 and cbcwpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't agree with 0-3. 1-2 maybe. They clearly lost the 1st period against Calgary but they were the better team in periods 2, 3 and in OT, and if not for a circus Markstrom save they would've won the Calgary game in regulation.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
resorted back to 81 55 26 two games in. and now that we won by a miracle will it change ?

ehlers scores OT goal but will be third shift the next time we are in OT.

copp or perrault in top 6 and waiver caliber players on the 4th line while young prospects sit

thats my coach
i dont know how any1 has complaints about CSW last game. they played strongly in the 3rd, and had combined for 2 goals (1 EV 1 PP) on the night.

Reactions: DashingDane

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
idk how maurice and co can watch niku night-in night-out, look at the objective stats of his body of work YTD and Career to date and think he's a viable NHL option. He needs to shed the stubborness and sit niku and put in heinola. it's time.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
idk how maurice and co can watch niku night-in night-out, look at the objective stats of his body of work YTD and Career to date and think he's a viable NHL option. He needs to shed the stubborness and sit niku and put in heinola. it's time.

I get a sense that Niku is getting a shot and time is probably running out for him.
GM's can play a role in this sometimes - they might be taking a last look before making a decision on his career with the Jets.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I get a sense that Niku is getting a shot and time is probably running out for him.
GM's can play a role in this sometimes - they might be taking a last look before making a decision on his career with the Jets.
maybe, but no one here would know if that's fact. Nikuseless has been flat out bad for his entire nhl career and continues to be. his defensive game in the nhl seems similar to what many people have said through his ahl career, and unfortunately he can't generate any or enough offense to over-come his defensive short-comings. a swap for him for another player, such as Heinola, would be a small positive change imo.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Come on we dominated the Flames for two periods and are very deserving of that win. Yeah we stole one last night and deserved the loss against Toronto.

I ha e no complaints at this point with PMO, outside of its often admitted by coaches it’s their job to have the players ready to play at puck drop. Now I agree & disagree with that POV. Coaches job to have them prepared but it’s also every single players job to execute the plan and be ready at puck drop.....that’s not just a coach or captain job.

Having said that, I sure hope coaches & players have talked about the slow starts every single game. Every game I watched regardless of the team they have been sloppy games, poor defensive coverage often etc, that will improve with reps by all teams. But I want the slow starts fixed ASAP, hard work trumps skill when skill hardly works.

I do also get the feel Chevy has given PMO marching orders to give some evaluations on a few guys like Niku, Stanley, etc before any trades are done or expansion is done.

I love the fight guys have shown to come back in games, goalies have been very solid, D game is slowly showing minor improvements, PP has looked good most of the time. Sucks we’ve are missing two big pieces on our team for games now in Laine & DeMelo and obviously to lesser degree Jack. Combined those three guys add a lot to our team, no team can be missing those many guys and critical guys and not have it show in their performances

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
maybe, but no one here would know if that's fact. Nikuseless has been flat out bad for his entire nhl career and continues to be. his defensive game in the nhl seems similar to what many people have said through his ahl career, and unfortunately he can't generate any or enough offense to over-come his defensive short-comings. a swap for him for another player, such as Heinola, would be a small positive change imo.

I'm not suggesting it's fact -
I'm simply running a thought through the crowd.
Last time I was dealing with facts on this board was . . . I don't remember :DD

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They have to make calls on both Niku and Stanley this year with both Heinola and Samberg likely pushing themselves ahead on the depth chart in short order.

I would like to see atleast Samberg get ingrained into the line-up full time this year but I can wait until Beau gets enough GP to qualify for the expansion draft before banishing him to the PB.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I hope some sanity prevails in the near future and Niku is jettisoned as soon as humanly possible. He has been HORRIBAD through 3 games. Its not working, time for a change.

29from27and55

Jan 16, 2021
i dont know how any1 has complaints about CSW last game. they played strongly in the 3rd, and had combined for 2 goals (1 EV 1 PP) on the night.
i wont mind if it was just a one period thing but i will worry if it continues all season while playing them 25 min a night and not inserting youth into the lineup over plugs like thompson lewis perrault

Reactions: Mbraunm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure which thread to put this in, but here's something positive from a shaky first 3 game stretch...

I've said that for the Jets to be a contender, Scheifele needs to drive better results. So far, his shot metrics look a lot better than they have in the past couple of seasons...
upload_2021-1-20_17-24-39.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure which thread to put this in, but here's something positive from a shaky first 3 game stretch...

I've said that for the Jets to be a contender, Scheifele needs to drive better results. So far, his shot metrics look a lot better than they have in the past couple of seasons...
View attachment 386260
makes sense. they've been down in every game and need to push play offensively. i reckon if it was score adjusted, they'd be sub 50%

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
272 wins and 190 losses as Jets head coach. That doesn't look like a losing coach to me.Oops forgot to add this year too 274 wins and 191 losses

Fixed it for you. 274 wins and 245 losses. You forgot to add the OT losses (since you added the OT wins I only thought that was fair). Suprisingly better record than I thought. Still, he's only made it out of the first round of the playoffs once (and only have qualified for the playoffs 3 out of 7 post seasons).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Fixed it for you. 274 wins and 245 losses. You forgot to add the OT losses (since you added the OT wins I only thought that was fair). Suprisingly better record than I thought. Still, he's only made it out of the first round of the playoffs once (and only have qualified for the playoffs 3 out of 7 post seasons).
It doesn't really matter what you think is only fair. What matters is how the NHL counts statistics. According to official NHL totals Maurice's record is 274-191-54 with the Jets. @Jets 31 wasn't the one adding OT wins and not loses it was the NHL.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It doesn't really matter what you think is only fair. What matters is how the NHL counts statistics. According to official NHL totals Maurice's record is 274-191-54 with the Jets. @Jets 31 wasn't the one adding OT wins and not loses it was the NHL.

Looks like he has a .58 points percentage with the team which would work out to a 95 point average per 82 game season or right at the playoff cutoff line moat years.

Its not bad but I would hardly call his record here great either. Its middling and imo that is what he is a middling head coach. Certainly not good enough to be given the job security he has been given here imo.

Anyhow we shall see how the rest of this year unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad