Coach Discussion: Coaching (Mod warning OP)

Should Paul Maurice be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Paul Maurice - by all accounts a really decent and nice guy.

No one can benefit more by winning in terms of improving their historical reputation than Paul Maurice. There is an element of success in having coached 1600 NHL games. But unfortunately, he has never won the last game of the year (championship), and he has logged the most losses out of all NHL coaches in history. If he eventually ends his career having never won the big game, and with the most losses in the history of the league, that will be a stain for him as a professional coach. If he wins the Stanley Cup, then the word Champion will always be with him and will overshadow anything about his losses.

There was a significant missed opportunity for him with the 17-18 Jets, having a Cup contending roster at his disposal but losing badly to a team that we were heavily favored to beat. Let's hope that the team magic comes back and we can seriously compete again. I don't think it is in the next couple of years, though. Our defense still needs a lot of work and an aging and declining Wheeler will be eating a lot of cap space for a while. So if he is going to win with the Jets, he probably needs to be our coach into the 2024-25 season and beyond, when we can more effectively allocate the $8.25M being wasted on Wheels. $8M contributes a lot of on ice talent. Additionally, our draft and develop organization currently fails to motivate and develop many of our key draft picks / talented roster players- they would rather leave town and publically say so either directly or through their agents. I can't be sure, but many indications are that Maurice himself contributes to this issue by inappropriately favoring underperforming vets. Let's face it, we have seen that play out with Maurice at the helm year after year. Maybe this is one of the reasons that he never wins the big game. IDK.

Do I think Paul will be our coach in 2024-25? Yes. I believe he will be the coach of the Jets forever. By believing that, I will receive a pleasant surprise if someday while I am still alive he either wins a cup with us, or while I am still alive he gets fired and we have a new coach who could do more to help us win.

Go Jets Go! Win a Cup, Paul!
Since 1996 Chipman has fired 2 head coaches so this checks out.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I would to see Maurice keep the 5 on 3 line up for the regular PP see how that works laine opens up a lot of room from the left point of its his shot, connor is great on the half wall or waiting for a one timer from laine as well

We could replace wheeler with pionk as well. It could
Work very nicely

Reactions: Mbraunm

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Only been 2 games, but...

Even Strength Total Ice time per game : Scheifele 19:39 ( #1 in NHL )
Power Play Total Ice time per game : Scheifele 06:36 ( #2 in NHL by 1 second )
Time on Ice per shift : Scheifele 01:09 ( #1 in NHL )
Number of shifts per game : Scheifele 23 ( #65 in NHL )

Is it Chef deciding to stay out their so long or is it the coach letting him stay out their so long? Is it too long?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

Is it Chef deciding to stay out their so long or is it the coach letting him stay out their so long? Is it too long?
I find it interesting that this horrible player deployment has been going on for years under Maurice. It’s great to see fans finally start to speak up about it

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's on both. Scheifele should know better and if its becoming an issue Maurice as the coach needs to address it.

Reactions: rkp and Mbraunm

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What i am confuse with Schief development is

They were pretty strict with him until his 22 years old.
Some preseason games he only played defensive end draws. They invested few years on his defensive game.
Sometimes it doesnt matter now?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Some preseason games he only played defensive end draws. They invested few years on his defensive game.

Our coach can't hold his leaders accountable is what it's come down to. Our top players can take long shifts, half ass it defensively and nothing is done.

One reason why a new voice wouldn't be a bad thing. It will serve as a much needed reset in the room.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

we do not have any1 remotely close to Scheifele even with his deficiencies at this point. You want Lowry or Stastny or Thompson playing top-line? No thanks.

back when Scheifele was 21-22 mostly in a 2nd line role, we had a viable top 6 C in Little at the time.

Reactions: PhilJets

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

He's playing a game that Maurice perceives to be defensively sound.

Reactions: AKAChip and Mbraunm

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
if you consider everything PoMo does in terms of how does PoMo stay employed in small markets his behavior makes sense.

He snuggles up to the clout in the room and just rides them for as long as he can. There is nothing PoMo does as a coach that is interesting, new, forward thinking ever. Playing Scheif 25mins a game in a compressed schedule is pure incompetence.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
if you consider everything PoMo does in terms of how does PoMo stay employed in small markets his behavior makes sense.

He snuggles up to the clout in the room and just rides them for as long as he can. There is nothing PoMo does as a coach that is interesting, new, forward thinking ever. Playing Scheif 25mins a game in a compressed schedule is pure incompetence.

Yep. Same thing with each new team.

I find it funny when we're all kind of baffled why this or that young player doesn't get a shot higher in the lineup, or why we never see Ehlers Schief Laine again, or something like Ehlers Little Perreault, or Harkins Roslo Appleton. And some people bend over backwards to give Maurice the benefit of the doubt; "I guess he's just decided that Laine needs to work on his overall game with Little for 160 games" etc.

When the answer is much simpler. There's just no upside for Maurice to prioritizing effectiveness over his stable hierarchy. It's much better for him to ride his core into the ground and then when we don't quite make it he can say "Well we tried, but we didn't have the horses" and point the finger somewhere else, and he never risks losing the room or upsetting the apple cart with new voices/characters.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
we do not have any1 remotely close to Scheifele even with his deficiencies at this point. You want Lowry or Stastny or Thompson playing top-line? No thanks.

back when Scheifele was 21-22 mostly in a 2nd line role, we had a viable top 6 C in Little at the time.

I understand.

My point only is he takes longer shift now and sometimes floats.

And i agree with Surixon, now that Schiefele is one of probably the 2 main guys in the locker room. Coach Mo doesnt want to rock the boat that much with them...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd say fire Chipman because he isn't doing anything about Maurice, but can't fire an owner obviously. Need a guy who knows what they're doing, just too frustrating to see other teams figure Maurice out to the point the team sucks.

Reactions: Tepponumminen27

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Big games that matter vs top competition.

Maybe we should hold off gutting him when they lose games that aren't against top competition? So if they lose on Thursday, it doesn't matter, because it's not a big game vs top competition. Glad that's sorted out!

Reactions: Jets 31

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
"Too bad we won, now we can't get a new coach in here so we can start winning!"

Wonderful post! Maurice still sucks and is the most losingest coach in the NHL!

That's the response I can muster to your smart comment stemming from my smart comment.

Love you friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad