Coaching Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
Why didn't the Lightning go after [Barry Trotz] to put us over the top? I don't mind Coop but is he good enough to win us a Cup? Seems Like Trotz would have self scouted this team better than anyone imaginable. He knows what frustrates us offensively and what it'd take to make us better defensively. Just seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
No lightning fan wanted trotz until he finally got over the hump and won a cup! Now I’ve wanted coach q from the hawks for many years. Yes I would still today replace cooper with coach q !

Reactions: PJ817

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Quennville all day long. Cooper is trotz's lil b. He owns coop. Cooper has yet to adjust to whatever Trotz does...with lester players. If the cooper crew cant see...they are blind or in denial.

Reactions: AlmostThere242

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
And holding the top scoring team to .5 ppg... is downright nasty.

Cooper better figure it out. He's gone of he doesn't make the finals.

Zero doubt.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Quennville all day long. Cooper is trotz's lil b. He owns coop. Cooper has yet to adjust to whatever Trotz does...with lester players. If the cooper crew cant see...they are blind or in denial.
Ya it’s amazing how badly trotz can out coach cooper! Imagine if trotz were coaching the lightning? And if cooper was coaching the islanders? It’s amazing how trotz out coaches cooper night and day and cooper can’t figure it out. Trotz has done the best coaching job in the nhl this year everyone thought the islanders would be a lottery team picking in the top 5.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Trotz got outshot and needed his goalie to bail him out last night. This despite officiating overwhelmingly in his favor.

I was thinking if this was a home game we walk away with a few more PPs. Doesn’t mean the score would have been different but we have a few more scoring chances at least.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Trotz honestly does scare me, because I think it's pretty clear he has Coop's #. That said, you don't fire a coach because one opposing coach seems to have an answer for the system, particularly the forecheck.

Keep in mind Washington fans were thinking Trotz "couldn't get them over the hump" right before he did.

There've obviously been coaching problems with the team, as evidenced by the number of changes/improvements we've seen. But I don't think we can criticize Coop to the point of bringing his job into question just because there's one guy who clearly has him figured out, and meanwhile Coop is on his way to the best regular season in franchise history.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Coop 2, Trotz 1 this season.

And yes Nashville and Washington both had ample evidence to say that Trotz wasn't the guy to get it done until he was.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Can we all agree he needs to get it done come playoff time?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I think its cup or bust time for Cooper. Maybe it has been for a while tbh.
If ever there was a cup or bust scenario, it's this year, with this team. If Coop can't get it done with this group of guys then it's probably not going to happen.

That being said, I'd take Coop and no Cup over 80 odd games of Trotz's garbage system, even if Trotz ultimately won us a Cup. I love the sport, and derive most of my pleasure as a fan watching our guys play it at the highest level over the course of an entire season. Irrespective of overall success, it's been an absolute treat to watch this team play this year. As far as I'm concerned, when we're firing on all cylinders we play the purest, truest, most perfect version of hockey I think I've ever seen. That's not hyperbole, either. I mean it. Our game is so damned balanced. For me, that counts for something.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We aren't gonna figure out a damn thing until we get players who can play against DPE hockey. We saw us barely beat the Wings with Babcock. It's not because he and Trotz are these mega geniuses. We don't have players who can consistently and effectively screen goaltenders and defensemen who can consistently and effectively shoot through traffic. Of the hundred ways we score goals that is seldom one. And yet again if and when we face Trotz he's gonna take away all 99 other ways except that one. And we are going to BARELY manage it

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Quenneville is probably the only coach I would replace Coop with. Aside from Q, I would pull up a dump truck of Hubba Bubba for Coop.

Reactions: JDBolt

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Stamkos and Kucherov embarrass themselves and play like shit again late in a series and it costs us, then at what point do you fault them over Cooper for being chokers? Kucherov was a no show late in the SCF, and late in two ECF's, Stamkos was too if you don't include the year with the blood clot. And even then few of us are impressed with his track record. How many Cups would Q have if Toews and Kane played like that? They were always his best players when it mattered most.

When year after year the rest of the Lightning is ready to play but not them I don't see how it's not poor player performance after a certain point -especially when they are starting these series playing just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad