Coaching Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Wrong. If Cooper already has a cup? Hell yeah he gets more slack. Are you serious? Of course. He hasn't though and that's a problem.
If cooper wins a cup he would probably coach here at least 5 more years he would get a very long leash. The path we are going down is the New York rangers path get to many ECF and only one cup final and lost. Our path is very similar to the New York rangers till they had to eventually blow it up to rebuild when there window closed.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So you're kind of admitting you're basing your criticisms on nothing. If Cooper had won a Cup, you'd be okay with the way he's coaching, but you're not okay with it because he hasn't won one.
That's not even close to what I am saying. I'm not ok with it but if he had 6 cups...he would get more leeway. Cooper is out of rope. The only thing I admit is your poor reading comprehension skills.

Reactions: PJ817

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's not even close to what I am saying. I'm not ok with it but if he had 6 cups...he would get more leeway. Cooper is out of rope. The only thing I admit is your poor reading comprehension skills.

...So what exactly is your problem with Cooper that wouldn't be a problem if he'd won Cups?

I've been pretty critical of Cooper, but the idea that he's running out of rope, while on his way to setting multiple franchise records, is pretty insane. Trotz is the "it" coach right now after 117 years in the wilderness, because he finally had a team win. Coop has taken an eventual Stanley Cup winner to their longest series three times. I know we have a good team, but the idea that we "obviously" have the best team, and SHOULD have won a cup by now, just isn't based in reality. There is no "should" with cups. The best teams often don't win, and we might not even have had the best team in years past.

I do think Cooper got outcoached by Trotz last year. But again, that's Barry Trotz, who had never won a cup despite coaching plenty of high level teams, until last year.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
...So what exactly is your problem with Cooper that wouldn't be a problem if he'd won Cups?

I've been pretty critical of Cooper, but the idea that he's running out of rope, while on his way to setting multiple franchise records, is pretty insane. Trotz is the "it" coach right now after 117 years in the wilderness, because he finally had a team win. Coop has taken an eventual Stanley Cup winner to their longest series three times. I know we have a good team, but the idea that we "obviously" have the best team, and SHOULD have won a cup by now, just isn't based in reality. There is no "should" with cups. The best teams often don't win, and we might not even have had the best team in years past.

I do think Cooper got outcoached by Trotz last year. But again, that's Barry Trotz, who had never won a cup despite coaching plenty of high level teams, until last year.

If Cooper can't get them over the hump, you find someone that can. Are you saying that no one else could lose in the ECF with this team? Again, who cares about the regular season?

Cooper has the best roster in the NHL. Period. If he can't win it then you find someone that can. It's a business.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If Cooper can't get them over the hump, you find someone that can. Are you saying that no one else could lose in the ECF with this team? Again, who cares about the regular season?

Cooper has the best roster in the NHL. Period. If he can't win it then you find someone that can. It's a business.

I think thats certainly an option and maybe one that happens if we have to cross that bridge, but its also not a slam dunk that it happens that way either. How it happens Im sure is part of it. If its similar to how we lost the last couple of times then yea I can see a change. If we lose game 7 ot or close game they will probably bring him back. As many has talked about before, playoffs are tough. We get to the ECF we will run into very good teams who can beat us. Competition and talent are extremely close in those regards. Coaching can be the difference and maybe it has the last couple of times but there is also something to be said where you get to a game 7 where anything can happen and those conditions become less and less a major factor. Not saying it isnt but some of it goes out the window because in those cases you just have two teams battling it out and could really go any way. So if we get to that point again its no guarantee he would be gone but sometimes it is time for a change. Also sometimes its not and its not smart to fire somebody who has gotten you that close to where its a toss up. Enough times and you will break through. Could be this year and might not be. Playoffs or cup for that matter are no guarantee for any top talented or top coached team.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I think thats certainly an option and maybe one that happens if we have to cross that bridge, but its also not a slam dunk that it happens that way either. How it happens Im sure is part of it. If its similar to how we lost the last couple of times then yea I can see a change. If we lose game 7 ot or close game they will probably bring him back. As many has talked about before, playoffs are tough. We get to the ECF we will run into very good teams who can beat us. Competition and talent are extremely close in those regards. Coaching can be the difference and maybe it has the last couple of times but there is also something to be said where you get to a game 7 where anything can happen and those conditions become less and less a major factor. Not saying it isnt but some of it goes out the window because in those cases you just have two teams battling it out and could really go any way. So if we get to that point again its no guarantee he would be gone but sometimes it is time for a change. Also sometimes its not and its not smart to fire somebody who has gotten you that close to where its a toss up. Enough times and you will break through. Could be this year and might not be. Playoffs or cup for that matter are no guarantee for any top talented or top coached team.

He's blown two 3-2 leads and a 2-1 lead in our last three exits. He gets outcoached IMHO. If he fails again this year, it is time for someone else to push the buttons.

Just MHO.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He's blown two 3-2 leads and a 2-1 lead in our last three exits. He gets outcoached IMHO. If he fails again this year, it is time for someone else to push the buttons.

Just MHO.

I wont argue but I see the other side of it too. I just want a cup as well. These close calls have been nothing but teases and then a long wait to see if we can do it this time. Annoying is putting it lightly. One thing for sure it does for me is make me appreciate 04 that much more. We had our close calls in those ones too. They could have easily gone the way these ones went but whatever you want to call it, a certain coaching decision, a lucky bounce, or us just being on our game. Whatever it was resulted in us winning the cup. Hope we share that fate this year too. We looked primed for it more this year than ever.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

This is fail HF logic at its best. Why do you think he has the best roster? Answer: Because his players are good.

... his players are good because they know their roles, because they were developed not only in the minors but managed during their early NHL starts, because they play well within their system, because they are put in situations where they can succeed, because they effectively execute the game plan, because they play as a team, because .... all those things that this fail coach fails to do?

LMAO, this is the worst thread in the entire HF Boards right now.

Complaining about a coach who has this resume, developed these players, having a record setting season, etc. Cooper has lost in 7 games to cup winning teams (I think EVERY TIME and done so through injuries). To those thinking he gets out-coached ... saying he got outcoached says nothing, when is someone going to provide actual examples? He took rosters with players where the very next year some of those players couldn't even get a job in the NHL, to the ECF and SCF.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Just MHO.
I read a lot of "he". There is only so much a coach (and his staff) can do. There are still 19 guys on the ice. They all need to be held accountable. You really think it's all just on this one guy?

Also regular season success is thanks to the players. Playoff failure (in 7 game series) is on the coach?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I read a lot of "he". There is only so much a coach (and his staff) can do. There are still 19 guys on the ice. They all need to be held accountable. You really think it's all just on this one guy?

Also regular season success is thanks to the players. Playoff failure (in 7 game series) is on the coach?

You aren't going to replace Point, Kuch, Vasy and Stammer. You can replace the coach though. That is the nature of the beast and why he is the longest tenured coach in the league.

Im appalled at the acceptance of "it just wasn't our year". Thank god that's not how the real world works.

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This is fail HF logic at its best. Why do you think he has the best roster? Answer: Because his players are good.

... his players are good because they know their roles, because they were developed not only in the minors but managed during their early NHL starts, because they play well within their system, because they are put in situations where they can succeed, because they effectively execute the game plan, because they play as a team, because .... all those things that this fail coach fails to do?

LMAO, this is the worst thread in the entire HF Boards right now.

Complaining about a coach who has this resume, developed these players, having a record setting season, etc. Cooper has lost in 7 games to cup winning teams (I think EVERY TIME and done so through injuries). To those thinking he gets out-coached ... saying he got outcoached says nothing, when is someone going to provide actual examples? He took rosters with players where the very next year some of those players couldn't even get a job in the NHL, to the ECF and SCF.

Thanks for contributing. LOL.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Hockey is such a random sport, anything can happen. With a few bounces going differently we could have ourselves a Cup or two. I would get the outrage if we were getting knocked out of the playoffs early, but all of out Cup runs since 2014 have been deep. If we don't pull it together this season, I'd be fine with looking for a new coach IF there is someone available we know can make things happen. I wouldn't get rid of Cooper just to replace him with a mediocre coach.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im still waiting know wrote a book but my point..>> what is COACH A B C going to do differently to put us over the top??? Why to you is coach A B C better then cooper..> Give me some details please. Where has cooper been outcoached stats proof etc.. come on guys do the work if you really feel this way.> I could get the stats and show my side and yes if COOPER lost again this year id WANT Q but im saying by what i heard its not happening so I have moved along:) At this point I dont remember anyone showing any evidence ever on what makes cooper an inferior coach? misses koekkoek and marshmellow you show the hits though and jeezus wept he has been amazing in diagnosing our team... So come on give us some facts or tone it down. Can see many are over it... Lets go play for cup if we all wrong we all wrong lol... You guys who want him gone maybe you get wish... Yet that will sure as hell NOT GUARANTEE A CUP EITHER.... so yes I havent seen much to show he hasnt done a great job in playoffs and where he got outcoached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->