Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Hynes hockey does sound really familiar, especially if you watched the creating offensive identity video with Laviolette from earlier.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28428054/midseason-grades-all-31-nhl-teams

Coach: A- After getting swept by the Blue Jackets in the first round last postseason, Jon Cooper vowed that the Lightning would play the kind of hockey that wins in the playoffs, no matter the cost to their style. Although their goal scoring is down from last season's 3.89 goals per game, they've succeeded in reducing the number of scoring chances for opponents and have found their swagger after a slow start. What that means for the playoffs, assuming they earn a berth, is anyone's guess. But Cooper is going to continue to boldly challenge his team, like when he benched Kucherov a few weeks ago.

giphy.gif

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That's all well and good. But it still doesn't solve how we're going to generate offense against teams who are determined, and capable, of shutting us down. The most ironic fact about all of our failures in the playoffs they've been rooted in the offense, not so much defense.

I still worry about getting pushed around in the playoffs by bigger teams when the refs put the whistles away a little more. We havent depended on our PP as much this year but I still worry about their ability to produce offense when we play those kinds of teams. Not like the team has gotten that much bigger since last year. I want to know what Coops plan will be if that happens again. Honestly, what should he do when that happens?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I still worry about getting pushed around in the playoffs by bigger teams when the refs put the whistles away a little more. We havent depended on our PP as much this year but I still worry about their ability to produce offense when we play those kinds of teams. Not like the team has gotten that much bigger since last year. I want to know what Coops plan will be if that happens again. Honestly, what should he do when that happens?
Some changes will be slow, like team size up front, but the idea of going through the pain of making changes to the Lightning's game was to have them not afraid to just get greasy, grinder goals.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That's all well and good. But it still doesn't solve how we're going to generate offense against teams who are determined, and capable, of shutting us down. The most ironic fact about all of our failures in the playoffs they've been rooted in the offense, not so much defense.

I wouldn’t put any stock at all into what ESPN says

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I wouldn’t put any stock at all into what ESPN says
It depends who it is. They employed Pierre LeBrun for many years, and he is one of the rare insiders to actually seem to know something about what's going on with the Lightning.

Reactions: DFC

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - these "I told you sos" are pretty dumb. Cooper is going to be judged by the playoffs. The only reason it felt like the heat turned up during the year because it looked like a real possibility we wouldn't make it that far.

Reactions: Todd1a

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean - these "I told you sos" are pretty dumb. Cooper is going to be judged by the playoffs. The only reason it felt like the heat turned up during the year because it looked like a real possibility we wouldn't make it that far.

People are giving him praise for doing what this team should've been doing in the first place. This team should've never been in that position they were in a month ago.

It's like giving the lazy guy a bonus for doing what he's supposed to do anyways.

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Coop can never win this. It’s pretty much cup or bust.

Well it is in his 7th year here pretty much it is cup or bust at this point ? I think he needs to at least make the ECF if he want's to be back next season! what coach has kept his job this long without winning a Stanley cup ? been here 8 years ! Quenneville lasted 10 years with the black hawks but won 3 Stanley cups 36-32 record for coop is not that great in the playoffs that's pretty average

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
cooper stays

he has adjusted he changed the team we are far superior imho to last years squad id like to add one tough grindy forward like maroon with playoff experience if possible.... one mistake cooper has made is you do not sit a goalie even on back to back who has 2 str8 shutouts doubt it woulda made a difference with the devils but you play the hot hand lol always

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
cooper stays

he has adjusted he changed the team we are far superior imho to last years squad id like to add one tough grindy forward like maroon with playoff experience if possible.... one mistake cooper has made is you do not sit a goalie even on back to back who has 2 str8 shutouts doubt it woulda made a difference with the devils but you play the hot hand lol always

he will fail in the playoffs always has and always will ! That is where he will be judged

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad