Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm not sold that he can coach us to a cup but I'm not sold that he cant. I think there are arguments that go for him in the playoffs. Hes been far in the playoffs far more times than hes been 1 and done. ECF number of times in short amount of years. I mean hes not a bad coach by any means and I think that coaches usually get the blame for most of a teams shortcomings and I can understand why. It's also usually like that in any sport so go figure.

I think there are arguments that can be made that Chicago, Pittsburgh, and the Caps were just better teams than us. We argue that if he made adjustments we win the series. Ok I can buy that but I also feel like there is definitely a case that those teams were just better and even looked better throughout the series. Personnel could and should get some blame for the exits.

While I think it's fair to say Cooper got outcoached in all of those series you can also say we got outplayed. Maybe we just weren't good enough all the way around?? That's the way I have kind of interpreted Coopers time here so far. Not without blame but I cant say for sure he was the biggest reason for our playoff exits. Last year was just a disaster for all involved.

Reactions: Maelmoor

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
*looks at half of HF Lightning ready riot at the next game we lose*

I mean..... you're not wrong at all but....

*looks back again at half of HF Lightning ready to riot at the next game we lose*

*shudder*

It's just the reality of where he's at. He can't prove anything in January. Or February. Or March. Or even April. Nothing good anyway. The team has to win because those are the expectations. Nobody's ever had concerns that Cooper can't coach the team to a big regular season. He can prove the doubters right right now, but he can't prove them wrong, because the doubts are all about the playoffs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
Jon Cooper may have a college degree and be a lawyer But he still has not figured out what makes this team click night in and night out. His problem is he play's favorites and not who should get the minutes. The only reason his record in the NHL is so good because he coaches the lightning who in my mind are loaded with talent and have been for a number of years now. If this guy was coaching a bottom feeder he would last one year maybe. As a coach you want players who will skate thru cement walls for you and I don't believe his guy's will do that for him. I honestly think he does not have the respect of the players who have played the game.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
All he's done is stave off the idea of firing him midseason, barring another run of horrid form.

They say they're playing differently, we'll see how different and whether it's a good difference if we're still playing in mid April.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All he's done is stave off the idea of firing him midseason, barring another run of horrid form.

They say they're playing differently, we'll see how different and whether it's a good difference if we're still playing in mid April.

Yeah. I mean, they ARE playing differently. We're seeing a lot more chippy goals than Globetrotter goals, which is enough to give us some hope.

I think we're still a little too reliant on the PP though. And a lot of nights it feels like the refs don't want to give us any, probably because of how easily it could decide the game.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
When is Cooper going to bench KUCH give his minutes to other players that want them. Cooper just keeps giving him minutes Pathetic

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat-Johnson get two shifts together, create 3-4 chances and score a goal. Palat is healthy--we can safely reunite them.

I don't understand how Cooper mixes up his lines to make things happen, but then, next game, reverts back to the lines he had to change because they're no longer creating anything.

Point-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Cirelli-Johnson

Have fun with that, league.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
If Cooper would pull his head out and give minutes to the players that deserve them they would never have to score in the last minute. He is a Knucklehead and will never change. You watch tomorrow he will over play KUCH who does not deserve his minutes and play Johnson 10-11 minutes when he should be getting 14-15 minutes a game. He just cant figure it out.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Cooper would pull his head out and give minutes to the players that deserve them they would never have to score in the last minute. He is a Knucklehead and will never change. You watch tomorrow he will over play KUCH who does not deserve his minutes and play Johnson 10-11 minutes when he should be getting 14-15 minutes a game. He just cant figure it out.

Bro... you try being that smart at hockey, having a law degree AND fitting it all inside your head while chewing gum. Jon Cooper is a revolutionary

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah. I mean, they ARE playing differently. We're seeing a lot more chippy goals than Globetrotter goals, which is enough to give us some hope.

I think we're still a little too reliant on the PP though. And a lot of nights it feels like the refs don't want to give us any, probably because of how easily it could decide the game.
disagree look at all the teams above us on their power play stats they super high imho toronto boston etc.. where ours over all are just ok look it up

think was looking at pk i guess we second on power play

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
:laugh::popcorn:

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

Me now:

giphy.gif

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Yikes. I took the LSAT in 2002 got a 162 and was denied admission to the 3 schools I applied (thank the higher being for that).

Maybe I should've applied to Cooley?!:huh: Basically, Cooper isn't a very bright student which might explain his lack of critical thinking skills on the bench. But JBB went to a decent school - one would think he could do logic: Coop good in reg season, sucks in post season = fire

Nh5Tvgk.png

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I sure do give a shit what academic school my sports teams head coach went to I mean look at bill bellichick went to

*checks notes*

Wesleyan university

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I sure do give a **** what academic school my sports teams head coach went to I mean look at bill bellichick went to

*checks notes*

Wesleyan university
Except Wesleyan is considered a little "Ivy" and a top notch school (meaning, you gotta pretty smrat to go there)

Bottom feeding law school means anyone with enough $$, brains or not, can attend

See the difference?

And the issue, as I see it, is lack of thinking/cognitive ability from a gum chewing, suave coach

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Except Wesleyan is considered a little "Ivy" and a top notch school (meaning, you gotta pretty smrat to go there)

Bottom feeding law school means anyone with enough $$, brains or not, can attend

See the difference?

And the issue, as I see it, is lack of thinking/cognitive ability from a gum chewing, suave coach

its a liberal arts college.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1