Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Yeah I don’t think JBB will replace him now with this latest streak. And giving him that contract extension before the playoffs debacle last year also saved his ass.
JBB wasn't gonna replace Cooper even if Laviolette was on the market lmao. Do you guy even read interviews? JBB said Cooper never was on a hot seat. He said we had a bad stretch and that it can happen.

Reactions: Hint1k and PJ817

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
JBB wasn't gonna replace Cooper even if Laviolette was on the market lmao. Do you guy even read interviews? JBB said Cooper never was on a hot seat. He said we had a bad stretch and that it can happen.
well to be fair apparently Poile announced Laviolette's job was safe the other day so who knows.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Yeah I don’t think JBB will replace him now with this latest streak. And giving him that contract extension before the playoffs debacle last year also saved his ass.
Yes, JBB won't fire Coop in the next days, in particular thanks to this winning streak.
But it's not the luck the reason why this team is playing good...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Pretty sure Laviolette might be on the no hire list going forward. Not because he isn't a good coach but because that incident with Leino. With the way coaches are being scrutinized for any past actions there's a clear video of him hitting a player, even if it wasn't very forceful, you just can't hire that guy or face a PR nightmare. So no need to even talk about that guy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pretty sure Laviolette might be on the no hire list going forward. Not because he isn't a good coach but because that incident with Leino. With the way coaches are being scrutinized for any past actions there's a clear video of him hitting a player, even if it wasn't very forceful, you just can't hire that guy or face a PR nightmare. So no need to even talk about that guy.

You mean the incident that Leino said was an accident and Laviolette apologized for after it happened? It was a one-off that was pretty much a non-issue when he was employed in Nashville so I doubt it will carry over anywhere else, Laviolette will find a job in no time.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So if cooper gets to the playoffs again and gets swept again is he on the hot seat then ?

Regardless what JBB says right now, if we don't make the 3rd round this year, my money's on a new coach in October.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
impossible lol JBB says cooper is not even close to being on the hot seat lol
Things can change quickly. “Safe” (did he really say that btw?) in December 2019 doesn’t equal safe in April/October 2020 in case of yet another early exit.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You mean the incident that Leino said was an accident and Laviolette apologized for after it happened? It was a one-off incident that was pretty much a non-issue in Nashville so I doubt it will carry over anywhere else, Laviolette will find a job in no time.

There's no video evidence of Peters kicking a player yet people said they saw him do it and he got crap for that. Obviously he did a lot more than that but that physical abuse part was a big thing. Didn't Carcillo come out and say that Leino incident was actually worse than it really was and it wasn't the first time Laviolette lost his temper? I have no issue with a fiery coach but Laviolette and Babcock seem like they'll need some time away while things die down on them before they get another gig. I don't think Laviolette is all that good so I wouldn't want him anyway.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
It’s hard to deconstruct and evaluate whether lavi’s system stifled offense, or if that’s just the way that Nashville was structured, but looking at the past couple of playoff series losses the last thing tampa needs is a new way to be unable to generate scoring.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Nashville has always been poorly constructed for offense IMO. I have never looked at their roster and said, "Now that's a team that's gonna score a lot of goals."

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Nashville has always been poorly constructed for offense IMO. I have never looked at their roster and said, "Now that's a team that's gonna score a lot of goals."
I don’t disagree; but they do have Johansson, forsberg, and duchene. They’re not completely inept. And a decent secondary cast like argidsson, Grimaldi and bonino.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I give no credence to those sorts of public comments.

It doesn't mean it's not the case, but I'm not aware of any benefits of saying there is/was doubt. It'd be seen as 'not having confidence' and 'throwing his coach under the bus'.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Regardless what JBB says right now, if we don't make the 3rd round this year, my money's on a new coach in October.

Given the fact that if Boston finishes 1st in the division and we would face (in all likelihood) TOR or FLA in round 1 followed by said Bruins should they win vs the wildcard team I would say you are absolutely right. Winning the Cup is hard. But if you can't beat the Leafs/Panthers and Bruins you don't deserve to be the coach of the Lightning. That sweep last year was bad enough and while time heals all, it ain't been that long since

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I give no credence to those sorts of public comments.

It doesn't mean it's not the case, but I'm not aware of any benefits of saying there is/was doubt. It'd be seen as 'not having confidence' and 'throwing his coach under the bus'.

JBB was neutral in his comments about Cooper stating given how well we have played lately that any talks about Cooper's job security "should not come up." I'll give it this much... that was the right answer to give because it's not a declaration of confidence nor any threat. He's just letting it be right now.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
David Poile is incredibly steady with his coaches. He's only had 5 head coaches in his 37 years as a GM.
Good thing he doesn’t hire coaches often, cuz he’s terrible at it.

I think hose had it right and it’s hard to find coaches that aren’t violent or an addict.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Given the fact that if Boston finishes 1st in the division and we would face (in all likelihood) TOR or FLA in round 1 followed by said Bruins should they win vs the wildcard team I would say you are absolutely right. Winning the Cup is hard. But if you can't beat the Leafs/Panthers and Bruins you don't deserve to be the coach of the Lightning. That sweep last year was bad enough and while time heals all, it ain't been that long since

Leafs are a wildcard since Keefe. Some nights they look great, some nights not so much, but either way they're putting together a lot of wins. It's pretty crazy that we've reeled them in while they're this hot.

I would welcome a series with any other Atlantic team, but the Leafs give me a bit of pause now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad