Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So what do people think about #FireCooper now?
As dumb now as it was when he had just finished his third conference final appearance in six seasons? Maybe dumber?

The only time I thought the Fire Cooper thing wasn't painfully stupid was after the CBJ sweep, but that was more that it's reasonable to overreact a bit to such a painful outcome after a historic regular season. It was obvious even then that Coop would have us right back in the mix for the Cup, just like we had been since Kuch's first full season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do remember Bowman didn't coach one game in the shootout or 3v3 OT era. Also, he began with a Next 6 expansion team, Cooper began with a team just as it was breaking out (which is to his credit, yes).
For sure. I mean, Cooper coached in an era where more wins are awarded in general, but also in the era of parity. I'm sure there's an advantage if you weigh it all out to one side or the other, but it's still crazy impressive.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Do remember Bowman didn't coach one game in the shootout or 3v3 OT era. Also, he began with a Next 6 expansion team, Cooper began with a team just as it was breaking out (which is to his credit, yes).
Bowman coached the Blues for the first few years, and did respectable in the regular season, but then took over the 1970s Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kind of another comparison to be made to Bowman there. He rarely if ever won Coach of the Year later in his career but he was widely regarded as the best. Sort of the same with Coop, i would imagine.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Jon Cooper on logging all 500 of his wins with the #Bolts, tying him with Toe Blake for the fifth-most wins with a single franchise in NHL history: "I never take that for granted. It’s a privilege to be in this league, but to be able to leave the arena and go to the same house every single day for the last 11 or 12 years or whatever it’s been, it’s probably not the norm. I’m extremely fortunate to be able to be in this situation with the ownership and management that has been in place. There’s a lot of trust. My trust in them and their trust in me, I think that’s a big reason why this has worked for a decade. There have been bumps along the way. There have. But I think that the belief in each other is what’s kept us strong and I’m truly thankful that I’ve got to experience all 500 here."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do we have some sort of evidence that the defensive scheme is Cooper's assistant? It seems kind of far fetched to me that Coop would let somebody else make such a huge change.

then again, I have no idea why a team would walk away from a system that made 3 finals, won 2 cups, and looked fine against a Leafs team that had them outgunned on paper.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Do we have some sort of evidence that the defensive scheme is Cooper's assistant? It seems kind of far fetched to me that Coop would let somebody else make such a huge change.

then again, I have no idea why a team would walk away from a system that made 3 finals, won 2 cups, and looked fine against a Leafs team that had them outgunned on paper.

I imagine some changes were made because we obviously lack the personel to play the same of game from those cup teams, you can just tell based on the types of defenseman we got and how bogo got singled out before even taking the ice that there was a heavy emphasis on "skating" on the backend.

They probably wanted a faster transition game and have dmen who could jump up to offset the lack of defensive ability we've lost and play "out the zone" as much as possible. Clearly that's backfired because cheap skating defenseman usually come with flaws which can sometimes be hidden in depth or behind a good system but instead its compounded because our top defenseman are leading by brain dead example. So it's a huge mix of system and personel right now.

You have to play a system to caters to the players you have, you can't run the same defensive system that relied heavily on McDonaugh and prime Hedmans defensive game with the guys you have, they just haven't really found a middle ground yet.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Lalonde is definitely a product of the Cooper school of coaching. They just showed him popping a stick of gum in his mouth. 😀
Cooper 101:

1. Always have gum in your mouth
2. Optional: Intensify gum chewing when necessary to make a point
3. No facial expressions during games whatsoever
4. Only talk to assistants with a play card or “secret agent hand” in front of your mouth
5. Don’t talk to players directly, short yells on to the ice are allowed
6. Win or lose - leave the bench immediately, no eye contact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad