Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
im for keeping cooper IMHO during the break jbb did his job talked to vets is the messes getting through and I think they replied YES and it showed after the dogshow 10 minutes vs the habs... honestly he saw what i saw he had it ADJUSTED which we say he cant to do supposably.... anyway detroit? that was some serious bad puck luck and a goalie saving another 3 maybe 4 he had no RIGHT saving lol... coulda been like 10-1 it was that dominating and shots that should went with people all over the net etc...

those things happen.... we gonna have to keep working honestly is all..... i think cooper is now 100% safe and I think by end of next 20 available points we are going to be in like second then we basically need to play 500 hockey on out to keep playoff spot.... confidence is low as hell in certain guys right now unfortunately we have a 100% pissed off kucherov who plays his worst when he gets on this type of thing...

cooper seems to be getting it... hes made his mistakes but some of bigger ones like washington pulling goalie showed the desperation he feels this team needs against a team like washington unfortunately...

we are actually in a good place i expect this stretch to change everything myself

don't be fooled I don't think Montreal and detroit are good hockey teams at all! And we have not sat in a play off spot since when ? October ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
don't be fooled I don't think Montreal and detroit are good hockey teams at all! And we have not sat in a play off spot since when ? October ?
todd we on our way bank it.... problem then will be to hang out with ups and downs we will have this season but I think we turned the corner and now going to be fine.... as far as not good teams i think is 3 or 4 of them right now so not too worried honestly.... st louis washington boston etc... we will wind up in that mix imho

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
todd we on our way bank it.... problem then will be to hang out with ups and downs we will have this season but I think we turned the corner and now going to be fine.... as far as not good teams i think is 3 or 4 of them right now so not too worried honestly.... st louis washington boston etc... we will wind up in that mix imho

Ya turned it around buffalo 4-1

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
He has been making better decisions, I will give him that. I'm not as bloodthirsty as I was, but that could also be due to our success recently.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has been making better decisions, I will give him that. I'm not as bloodthirsty as I was, but that could also be due to our success recently.

Cooper has always--well, since the year after we missed the playoffs--been able to shut people up in the regular season. But the red flags show up in the playoffs when he seems to pretty clearly get out-coached.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
might as well kill this for now.....

i am for one NOT judging him by playoffs this year.... will judge more on how he handles the rest of the year.

i fully expect us to be ready for a long good playoff run but its like this..... is this team the same as in past when we had some decent runs??? right now you got to question it...

rest of my thoughts in lightning general post

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Love seeing this. I hope it puts to bed any underlying coaching concerns. I was worried back in October about the team having given up but not only has that not happened but everyone has been so bought in that our only issue anymore is in net. Our current situation is forcing the team to stay hungry and focused too.

I'm hoping this is the perfect storm we've been needing

Reactions: Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Love seeing this. I hope it puts to bed any underlying coaching concerns. I was worried back in October about the team having given up but not only has that not happened but everyone has been so bought in that our only issue anymore is in net. Our current situation is forcing the team to stay hungry and focused too.

I'm hoping this is the perfect storm we've been needing

Coaching concerns can't be put to bed in January. Nobody doubts Cooper's ability to win in the regular season.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
This guy should be fired on the basis of how gingerly he walks across the ice to the bench. Act like you've been there before, Coop!

Reactions: bov

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I still have concerns about Cooper. He is still not playing certain players enough minutes a game. You have more goal scoring power on this team if he would play them more minutes a game.

Reactions: Zwui21

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I still have concerns about Cooper. He is still not playing certain players enough minutes a game. You have more goal scoring power on this team if he would play them more minutes a game.
This is my only concer with Cooper recently. I know Kuch hasn't been the best this season so far, but he's playing garbage mins compared to other teams superstars.
Last season he was already averaging a LOT less than other top players, now his TOI has decreased ~ 1min per game from ehat he was last season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cooper has always--well, since the year after we missed the playoffs--been able to shut people up in the regular season. But the red flags show up in the playoffs when he seems to pretty clearly get out-coached.

This, Cooper knows his way around the regular season he's made numerous improvements since he started and pretty much perfected it last season with no flaws. Hard to question his regular season tactics unless the team comes out flat in which would evidence him losing the room but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. He'll be judged on playoff results and if this team exits in one of the first 2 rounds I'm not sure how you can not change something regardless of regular season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The only way the regular season matters right now is if it is a prelude to not making the postseason. That is increasingly looking like it's not the case. Therefore - we're back to the central premise of the season. Cooper needs to prove it in April/May.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is my only concer with Cooper recently. I know Kuch hasn't been the best this season so far, but he's playing garbage mins compared to other teams superstars.
Last season he was already averaging a LOT less than other top players, now his TOI has decreased ~ 1min per game from ehat he was last season.

You're talking about stars on awful teams that are out on the ice more often because they NEED to score. Draisaitl, McDavid and Eichel lead forwards in TOI per game and their teams are trash with no depth. Who cares if you play 23+minutes a night when you miss the playoffs every year and knowing everytime you step off the ice there's no scoring threat.

Take a look at the TOI of all of the top teams in the league, 90% of the top forwards are playing in the 19min to low 20min range. No forward on St.louis, Vegas, New York or Boston plays above 20mins, Pittsburgh and Colorado have Malkin and Mackinnon but that can be justified with the injuries they've had up front this season. 19~mins seems to be the most optimal for top forwards on top teams, this isn't isolated to Cooper, when teams have depth - they tend to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek and DFC

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I mean, we're also in the easiest division with the worst bottom 4 teams in the league by far. Having played a string of games against those 4 teams will make anyone look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad