Coaching Discussion: Craig Berube

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Berube isn't the coach the team needs. however, you can't fire him right now. it would send the message that it's all coaching and not the players.

what needs to happen is that Homer is fired, then Hextall goes in and finds his own guy to coach. you can't fire Berube now cause Hexy will want his own guy when he becomes the next GM. which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
1314029819767.png

SgtJoseph*

need to work out a deal with Calgary and try and secure the rights to Johnny Hockey ....He has TONS of jump and heart and can FINISH ! Plus he is a local lad.He should be ready to make the next jump in the near future .

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Berube isn't the coach the team needs. however, you can't fire him right now. it would send the message that it's all coaching and not the players.

what needs to happen is that Homer is fired, then Hextall goes in and finds his own guy to coach. you can't fire Berube now cause Hexy will want his own guy when he becomes the next GM. which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

If Hextall came in now he would likely stand pat on that front until the offseason. Firing two coaches in one season is embarrassing.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I watched the Devils feed tonight for a different perspective. Even their point of view is that there is too much talent on this team to play this poorly. They were comparing them to some previous Ducks team that was talent laden and didn't perform.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This goes all the way to the top...sorry but the GM and the meddling senile old owner the last couple of seasons have pretty much been incompetent and not created the conditions for this so called team to succeed. While I agree that Berube is no long term answer at all and I'm not enamored with his roster decisions and this same BS about playing character players over more skilled ones to send a message...he really has an ill-assembled roster to work with.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Firing two coaches in the same year embarrassing? Playing this poorly isn't?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Dressing Mezz an Gill and shuffling lines every game sure makes it seem he has no clue what is going on ?

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
now this is berube who need to score the goal?
giroux hartnell and voracek have only 2goals...
berube is underrated here

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Willing to give him time to adjust to his current role...

...however starting players like Rosehill, and Mez over Gus and McGinn is garbage.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
If Hextall came in now he would likely stand pat on that front until the offseason. Firing two coaches in one season is embarrassing.

i agree. we're stuck with Berube now for the rest of the season unfortunately.

but they still need to fire Homer now, so Hexy can come in and have several months to seach and find a good replacement.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

but they still need to fire Homer now, so Hexy can come in and have several months to seach and find a good replacement.

He probably has a guy in mind, I remember when we first hired him some Kings fans were saying he would likely poach one of their coaches if he was named GM (I can't remember if it's their AHL coach or an assistant for the Kings?).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I'm sure that is already being done. Also, don't you all think that any trade that gets discussed would have lots of input from Hextall? Of course it would.

Only do a trade if it adds a young PMD or a goal scoring winger.

If we are losing next game, BENCH 2 lines, give the minutes to those who are giving effort.

CyborgLindros

Mar 29, 2012
I'm not sure if Berube is the answer, but I do know that another coaching change will not fix this. It's on G, Hartnell, Schenn, Couts, Read....anyone not named Rinaldo, Mason, and I'll give Grossmann a pass for effort.

Simplest way to look at it, watch the passes. These guys have no clue they might get the puck. They have no chemistry and most of them have played together for a few years. You should be able to anticipate what some of your teammates are going to do in certain situations. They look like deer in headlights when they get the puck, or more than likely fan on a pass, miss the person they intend to pass too.

I can safely say I watched a few periods this year where Rinaldo's line not only checked well, but PASSED WELL. Rinaldo entered the zone beat his man and got a quality shot off during the Canes game I believe. At that point he was looking better than our first line.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i see the Oilers lost again tonight too. maybe the only other team (aside from Buffalo) that's as bad as we are. i really think the Oilers and Flyers are a perfect fit for a trade right now. the Oilers desperately need a power forward to add some grit and toughness to their lineup, and the Flyers are in desperate need of some skill and scoring. i can't believe a deal can't be made between the two. Eberle going one way and either Simmonds or Hartnell+ going the other as the focus. obviously other pieces need to be added, but it can't be that difficult.

CyborgLindros

Mar 29, 2012
i see the Oilers lost again tonight too. maybe the only other team (aside from Buffalo) that's as bad as we are. i really think the Oilers and Flyers are a perfect fit for a trade right now. the Oilers desperately need a power forward to add some grit and toughness to their lineup, and the Flyers are in desperate need of some skill and scoring. i can't believe a deal can't be made between the two. Eberle going one way and either Simmonds or Hartnell+ going the other as the focus. obviously other pieces need to be added, but it can't be that difficult.

Plz for the love of god send Hartnell and w/e

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Meszaros-Gill, Schenn-Gustafsson fiasco is reason enough to be mad at him and definitely reason enough to demand a firing if he continues with it, but we already went through a former coach three games into the season and at this point it's getting too late to expect a rebound and it would be kind of pointless to throw another coach into the fire with this roster and record.

So we're pretty much stuck with him till the season ends regardless of whether he deserves it or not. Or at least that's how it should play out.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Per Bill Meltzer...

Berube better fix this...his job as he says.

Head coach Craig Berube has talked repeatedly about players needing to skate quicker and think quicker, and then things like the breakout and forecheck will look better. There were some modest improvements in that area a few weeks ago, but the team has gone right back where it was before.

Feet moving? No, more like inertia.

It would be one thing if the Flyers -- who have averaged 1.47 goals per game this season and have scored two or fewer goals in 14 of 15 games and one or none in eight -- were showing signs of getting close to finally breaking through offensively. In reality, the opposite is the case.

Forget about turning defense into offensive counterttacks, because that just ain't happenin' right now. Meanwhile, they are generating so few chances off their forecheck that I would consider it progress just to spend the majority of back-to-back shifts in the offensive zone even if no shots resulted from it. The less said about the power play right now, the better.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...ings-Victims-of-Inertia/45/55515#.Unx7AihhR8s

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He probably has a guy in mind, I remember when we first hired him some Kings fans were saying he would likely poach one of their coaches if he was named GM (I can't remember if it's their AHL coach or an assistant for the Kings?).
Mark Morris, Davis Payne or John Stevens?

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
need to work out a deal with Calgary and try and secure the rights to Johnny Hockey ....He has TONS of jump and heart and can FINISH ! Plus he is a local lad.He should be ready to make the next jump in the near future .

Wow listed at 5'6 but seems to have some skill. Would Calgary want to give him up?

Gaudreau was selected to represent the United States in the 2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He led the team with seven goals and tied for the team lead with nine points, as Team USA won the gold medal.[6] He was also named to the tournament All Star team

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said in the other thread, it's hard to blame him when no one outside of Mason & Rinaldo are giving him a constant effort. At a certain point people here are going to have to start putting the bulk of the blame on the players.

But when he does stupid things like sitting both Gus and Schenn to play Mez and Gill he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. The last two goals were 100% Mezs fault and he looked awful the entire game, so after that he gets to play the next game it shows that Berube is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad