Coaching Discussion: Craig Berube

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think its more about the players on the team. Holmgren made a move for coaching, nothing changes, now its his job on the hot seat and he knows it.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Not sure what you mean by this....

Berube so far has had to set up a new system, and try to help this team recover from...2 seasons of failure. This isn't something that will happen over night, it will probably take the rest of this season and the offseason.

This is all on the team that homer has built, and the players currently on the team that are out there playing. There is only so much a coach can do, no coach at the moment would make this team better in our current state, it is up to the players, and maybe the GM to make necessary moves.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Unimpressed so far. Like I noted in another thread....so much for his defense will generate offense scheme. Saying so doesn't always make it so. Worried he's another Barber type...

Also the irony of him saying "you can't yell at these guys" and then having Holmgren come down into the locker room in the second period of the Washington game to do just that. This team is one huge contradiction....:help:

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Unimpressed so far. Like I noted in another thread....so much for his defense will generate offense scheme. Saying so doesn't always make it so. Worried he's another Barber type...

Also the irony of him saying "you can't yell at these guys" and then having Holmgren come down into the locker room in the second period of the Washington game to do just that. This team is one huge contradiction....:help:

As for the bolded part... it isn't the new system that is at fault, it is the players. Look at the system that lavi had in, we were swept out of the playoffs, had a horrible last year, and the worse training camp in a long ass time apparently..

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure what you mean by this....

Berube so far has had to set up a new system, and try to help this team recover from...2 seasons of failure. This isn't something that will happen over night, it will probably take the rest of this season and the offseason.

This is all on the team that homer has built, and the players currently on the team that are out there playing. There is only so much a coach can do, no coach at the moment would make this team better in our current state, it is up to the players, and maybe the GM to make necessary moves.

While most of it is on the GM and the hodge podge of players he calls a roster that he has assembled...some of Berube's roster moves are reminding me of Lavi.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
While most of it is on the GM and the hodge podge of players he calls a roster that he has assembled...some of Berube's roster moves are reminding me of Lavi.

He can only do so much with what he has been given. But, yea... this idea of putting players where they really don't fit has not been doing us any good... like Briere on wing (there are tons of examples). Instead of putting square pegs in round holes we should be getting the proper pieces.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
As for the bolded part... it isn't the new system that is at fault, it is the players. Look at the system that lavi had in, we were swept out of the playoffs, had a horrible last year, and the worse training camp in a long ass time apparently..

If it's truly the players, the GM is accountable. He needs to fix the problem or get the hell out. After 14 games, still no improvement (one game with more than 2 goals is an anomaly) in the offense, line changes are not going to fix the problem.

I've said it before, there are too many players making the same mistakes they used to make in Lavy's system. Before the 29 other teams figured out that system, those mistakes were easily overcome, but now, it's just too easy for opponents to neutralize them. The team chemistry just plain sucks and unless they ship out players to make statements (sorry, Talbot trade was not the answer), these players as a team will never adjust.

It is nice to see the Flyers play defense and keep themselves in the game, but when they can't put themselves into good shooting positions and have prolonged offensive zone possessions, it's all for not. I mean seriously, I have never seen a team struggle so hard to get the puck into the slot without turning it over.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
If it's truly the players, the GM is accountable. He needs to fix the problem or get the hell out. After 14 games, still no improvement (one game with more than 2 goals is an anomaly) in the offense, line changes are not going to fix the problem.

I've said it before, there are too many players making the same mistakes they used to make in Lavy's system. Before the 29 other teams figured out that system, those mistakes were easily overcome, but now, it's just too easy for opponents to neutralize them. The team chemistry just plain sucks and unless they ship out players to make statements (sorry, Talbot trade was not the answer), these players as a team will never adjust.

It is nice to see the Flyers play defense and keep themselves in the game, but when they can't put themselves into good shooting positions and have prolonged offensive zone possessions, it's all for not. I mean seriously, I have never seen a team struggle so hard to get the puck into the slot without turning it over.

Yep, I totally agree. I think it's time for Homer to step down.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
I'd also like to add that the Flyers in 2006 were 4-6-1 after Stevens' first 11 games... the same exact record Berube has since taking the reigns.

We all know exactly how that season continued. Only difference here is that Homer has not stepped down like Clarke did.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I can't blame Berube. Every forward outside of Vinny is in a massive scoring slump. Every single one! Longer term the D is an issue, but all of the problems are with the forwards now.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Team defense is improving,,,

Personnel decisions have been horrific !! Benching your 2 youngest D men and playing Rosehill at all is idiotic.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Only thing I can criticize Berube for at this point is playing Gill/Mez over Gus/Schenn and dressing Rosehill too much.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Only thing I can criticize Berube for at this point is playing Gill/Mez over Gus/Schenn and dressing Rosehill too much.

This.

And way too many line shuffles and constantly playing forwards out of their natural positions: while Vinny has looked half decent at RW, playing Voracek on LW and flip flopping Simmonds between left and right only made things worse.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Lines all changed at practice again but same D pairings !!

More Mezz and Gill, Berube is a genius :handclap::yo::handclap:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Aside from terrible personnel choices I can't find too much fault.

The breakout is infinitely better. However, little has improved with offensive zone play.

I don't know what to think of Berube. It's really hard to judge what a coach is doing when so many players are sucking so badly on an individual level. The best system looks like crap if nobody is executing.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Giroux and Couturier are playing >21min every game and Schenn and Lecavalier are playing less than 15min now why would you do that when this team can't score

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Giroux and Couturier are playing >21min every game and Schenn and Lecavalier are playing less than 15min now why would you do that when this team can't score

Giroux and Couturier are also PKers, so that ups their total over the others. If you look at even strength TOI it's a lot closer. Couturier gets on average 3 minutes of PK time per game. Vinny averages 4 seconds of PK time and Schenn 1:21.

And aside from that he's been one of the most reliable forwards on the team. If his linemates could execute he would be racking up assists. With the way he's shooting he would probably still be goalless.

Edit: Hold up, where do you get that Couturier is playing over 21 minutes? His average so far has been 18 minutes.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This.

And way too many line shuffles and constantly playing forwards out of their natural positions: while Vinny has looked half decent at RW, playing Voracek on LW and flip flopping Simmonds between left and right only made things worse.

Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic...

Berube hopes Flyers' new lines will provide spark

The lines are changing. Again.

For the eighth time in 14 games this season, the Flyers scored a goal or less in a game. They lost in overtime, 2-1, Tuesday night in Carolina, blowing what should have been a 1-0 shutout in the final 53 seconds of regulation.

Barring another trade, there’s only so much a coach can do to generate scoring chemistry with line changes.

Craig Berube has pretty much tried every line combination out there to generate offense without sustained success.

“At some point, they need to start producing,†Berube said. “I think guys in and out of the lineup with injury, we had to move guys around a little bit. These guys are familiar with each other. They’ve played well together before. I expect them to get out of it and start playing well

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/berube-hopes-flyers-new-lines-will-provide-spark

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Giroux and Couturier are also PKers, so that ups their total over the others. If you look at even strength TOI it's a lot closer. Couturier gets on average 3 minutes of PK time per game. Vinny averages 4 seconds of PK time and Schenn 1:21.

And aside from that he's been one of the most reliable forwards on the team. If his linemates could execute he would be racking up assists. With the way he's shooting he would probably still be goalless.

Edit: Hold up, where do you get that Couturier is playing over 21 minutes? His average so far has been 18 minutes.

last two game he played 21m

he's getting the same 5 on 5 ice time as schenn and more 5 on 5 ice time than Vinny

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Coaching is about maximizing the production of the roster and making the expected quality lineup decisions.

Whether he's maximizing the production of the roster is arguable as the roster quality is in question and he didn't have a training camp, but he's definitely making horrible lineup decisions. Like, really bad and really confusing lineup decisions.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Aside from terrible personnel choices I can't find too much fault.

The breakout is infinitely better. However, little has improved with offensive zone play.

I don't know what to think of Berube. It's really hard to judge what a coach is doing when so many players are sucking so badly on an individual level. The best system looks like crap if nobody is executing.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad