Coaching Discussion: Craig Berube

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I was a little skeptical but I did think they needed more than like 7 games to get into a different mindset from Lavi's old run and gun type game. I like what I see.

Seemingly the system has been implemented in stages... the defensive zone first, then neutral zone breakouts and more recently the neutral zone defence and fore-checking play.

Maybe to just completely break it back down to basics and not let anything from Lavi linger?

If so it makes sense, I always hear it is generally how new systems in pre-season and training are implemented, focus on one thing until perfect, then move onto the next, and looking back on other games it seems that way, though is pretty brave, and in the last three games they have played consistently the same way in all three zones, at least philosophy wise.

Or maybe they were just playing **** until now/not getting it and I am over thinking it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My guess is still that they are knowing the system better, when you don't have to think about everything, you play better. Right now the system is becoming second nature which allows them to move forward better.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I was a little skeptical but I did think they needed more than like 7 games to get into a different mindset from Lavi's old run and gun type game. I like what I see.

I think I said something like 20 games (to see results)......so it's nice to see a better product in half the time. Hopefully it continues. I like the style I'm seeing way much more than that Lavi crapola....wow did the wheels come off with that dude. Still can't fathom why they kept him so long. Last year was really obvious he had to go ..I mean they tried everything to extend his shelf life which included the revamp with the Carter and Richards trades but then they gaffed with Bryz and getting a stay at home defense that didn't mesh with his run and gun system..then they went and got Paddock as his eye in the sky....

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It seems to me that the D men under Lavi were more of an afterthought than with Berube so far. Players like Coburn look more motivated ..although L Schenn is a concern. One thing for sure is that Lavi was stunting Coots and B Schenn...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well at least Berube thinks with his mind instead of Lavi with his gut....although the whole Gill and Mesz decisions were not great..

Why Razor?
Speaking of goaltending, fans on Twitter were surprised to see Emery awarded the start Wednesday night instead of Mason, who shut out the Ottawa Senators in Tuesday’s 5-0 rout. But Berube had his reasons for the decision: “I don’t think it’s about wearing anybody down,” he said. “I have a thought in my mind already what we want to do, and I stick with it.”

.500 under Berube
With the win, the Flyers are 7-7-1 since Berube took over -- good enough to finally reach .500.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/instant-replay-flyers-2-penguins-1

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
It seems to me that the D men under Lavi were more of an afterthought than with Berube so far. Players like Coburn look more motivated ..although L Schenn is a concern. One thing for sure is that Lavi was stunting Coots and B Schenn...

L.Schenn looked a lot better last night, he was playing his position, hitting and clearing the zone. Coburn, after a couple of brain farts early in the 1st played well and Timonen looked like a young man again. Grossman was being Grossman and using his size to get the opponent off the puck. Streit didn't look so good at times. I didn't notice Gus too much last night that being said he didn't have any significant mistakes and probably was playing well. Couts was a machine, he just gets under Malkin and Crosby's skin which is great to watch, such a great defensive forward.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
L.Schenn looked a lot better last night, he was playing his position, hitting and clearing the zone. Coburn, after a couple of brain farts early in the 1st played well and Timonen looked like a young man again. Grossman was being Grossman and using his size to get the opponent off the puck. Streit didn't look so good at times. I didn't notice Gus too much last night that being said he didn't have any significant mistakes and probably was playing well. Couts was a machine, he just gets under Malkin and Crosby's skin which is great to watch, such a great defensive forward.

Thanks for the recap. I didn't get to see the game so I'm glad to hear that the defense is looking like a formidable crew. Grossmann is okay, right? Heard he may have gotten injured.

WildFinn*

Came to say that your complete makeover made me pick you to do an GDT.

One of the most interesting stories this season for me is the Flyers.

Berube seems smart, im expecting a tough game by the time we meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad