Coaching Discussion: Craig Berube

GTopCheese

Jul 19, 2012
Coaching is about maximizing the production of the roster and making the expected quality lineup decisions.

Whether he's maximizing the production of the roster is arguable as the roster quality is in question and he didn't have a training camp, but he's definitely making horrible lineup decisions. Like, really bad and really confusing lineup decisions.
It'd probably help maximizing their production if half of the players could actually hit the broad side of a barn with their shots.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
At least he seems to be going for more balance forward lines now.

I was pretty pissed when he came up with his more players of the same type on one line because they play a similar game which makes them a better unit ********. Might work for a checking line but if you want to score goals Hartnell and Simmer on 1 line is just plain stupid.
Moving Voracek to LW the other night was another really stupid example of bad roster management.

I'm wondering if they actually have any Coaching staff who know how to teach offense?
Berube and Lappy both may teach a proper PK but know **** about scoring goals...

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
As I said before. The owner owns the team, the general manager provides the personnel, and the coach makes the best of his personnel. It was a huge mistake putting the assistant of the fired coach in charge of a team he assisted in failing. These players can't be all bums, the system has to be the flaw or the coach. After watching Berube coached Flyers I believe he was part of the problem, not the solution.

He has no passion and no clue.

Before the team is ripped apart and the season is lost it's time to admit Berube was a mistake and put in a coach that has a clue.

I know you'll all want to blame these players but we have all seen the flashes of what this team could be. But there like a rudderless ship.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not bailing on Berube yet. For reference, it took something like two months before the Flyers turned it around under Lavi and it took just about the same time for the Caps to get what Hunter was selling. It's been a day under a month for Berube.

He has made a really positive change in the breakout plan, and defensive play is more composed. However, the PP is still shambles and there is little difference in the offense. They look like they're doing a slightly better job keeping the puck in the zone instead of turning it over instantly, but it hasn't been enough. Whether that's partly because we're like Edmonton with a complete dearth of offensive skill on the blueline, or because the forwards simply suck crap right now, or poor planning by Berube remains to be seen IMO.

On the other hand, benching both Schenn and Gus is beyond questionable. Especially with the aforementioned lack of offensive skill on the blueline...Gus is at least a light upgrade there.

Last edited:

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Agreed on the defense. On offense you only have to look at what these players have done in the recent past to realize they are not lacking in skill.
My sense is that Berube was part of the problem with last years team and is the problem with this years team.

I also was completely in awe that he made no fuss over the high sticking to Timonen in the Carolina game. Especially after the two man advantage given to Carolina in the phantom high stick earlier.

I would expect a Patrick Roy like explosion from a coach would be warranted. I know some don't believe that a coach should lose his composure during a game but his complete lack of emotion shows through in the Flyers play.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Giroux and Couturier are playing >21min every game and Schenn and Lecavalier are playing less than 15min now why would you do that when this team can't score

Giroux and Couturier are usually on the PK while Schenn and Lecavalier usually aren't.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They are, and I'm not really mad only because I stopped watching the games two weeks ago.

The revolution begins here.

original.jpg

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
They are, and I'm not really mad only because I stopped watching the games two weeks ago.

You just gave up because we're not very good?

I just don't get that. Games face off at midnight over here, and it's almost entirely awful but every day I look forward to it. No matter how pissed off I am at the end of the previous game (and Carolina was a particular rage) the bug hits me again and again.

If you give up when it gets a bit tough, I don't know if the sweet will taste as sweet when it eventually turns around.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's literally no excuse to play Meszaros at this point, it's not even an exaggeration to say that his play level currently is on par with an AHL player.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Stop. Berube is a terrible coach. It's amateur hour in Philly.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Berube Must Go

This team is confused and leaderless. No game plan, line juggling every night, no hitting, sitting our young d-men, not able to motivate players, not making game adjustments.

Leaders Lead. There is obviously no leadership and no adjustment.

Fire Berube and he can take Timonen and Mez with him.

Wrong choice for coach. Fix it now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Like I said in the other thread, it's hard to blame him when no one outside of Mason & Rinaldo are giving him a constant effort. At a certain point people here are going to have to start putting the bulk of the blame on the players.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Like I said in the other thread, it's hard to blame him when no one outside of Mason & Rinaldo are giving him a constant effort. At a certain point people here are going to have to start putting the bulk of the blame on the players.

It's 100% on the players and there needs to be a change. Whether scratched, traded, demoted, cut, hit, etc.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I disagree, if the coach can't motivate the players he's no coach. It would be one thing if he got the best from them and they just weren't good enough, then move the players. He's not getting anything from them. All on the coach

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It's Berube's fault this team can't string two passes together? At some point you have to admit these players are overrated and or its a bad mix.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Well it's hard to tell if his system is working or not when he has no players capable of the basics. His lineup choices leave a lot to be desired however.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I disagree, if the coach can't motivate the players he's no coach. It would be one thing if he got the best from them and they just weren't good enough, then move the players. He's not getting anything from them. All on the coach

These are pro players making millions of dollars. They should be motivated enough themselves. Players who can't motivate themselves are losers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Matt Foley couldn't motivate this damn team.....

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
No coach would fix this problem. It isn't Berube, it's the team that the GM put together (and the players themselves).

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Maybe if he didn't keep shuffling players they might have a chance to get used to each other. Maybe if he didn't sit the more talented players for the old, worn out slow d men they might move the puck quicker. Maybe if he didn't play Steven's stupid lay back plan they would have more offense, maybe if he demanded shoot instead of pass we might actually have more shots on goal. Maybe if he had some passion.........

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
This is just not a good team. However, I think it's made worse by making two ex-Flyers, one of who had absolutely no coaching experience and the other no head coaching experience, your assistant and head coaches. And it shows on the ice. What the hell was Holmgren and Snider thinking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->