Speculation: Coaching changes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think you are giving Stevens credit where it should go mostly to Blake and Luc. The Kings were being a very slow team and by getting rid of Greene King and Nolan and putting in Iafallo Kempe Amadio we got a ton faster which is helped the bounce back Sutter had clearly lost the room Hell he even was locked out of the locker room once between periods. I think the kings would have improved with me behind the bench and i have never coached :sarcasm: As much as i would like to say different most king fans knew this was going to be a evaluation of just how much of a effect Sutter had on the team and clearly it was a lot. Seriously with healthy seasons from both quick and kopitar how could they not improve. Yes we improved with Stevens however i believe with a more motivating coach we would have improved more. This team needs more from its supporting cast and stevens doesn't seem to be able to get it.

Every coach is evaluated on the performance of the team vs the expectation of the team, factoring in serious long term injuries.

Of the teams missing the playoffs, a lot have 1st year HC and I doubt the GM would can them. GMs today, unless they have some type of track record, won't get to fire 2 HC. Because, if the 2nd HC needs to be fired, then the GM is likely gone as well. So, GMs are going to save it for as long as they can to buy themselves more time.

AZ - Tochette is safe, 1st year guy
VAN - Green is safe, 1st year guy
EDM - McClellend is likely fired
CHI - Q is likely fired. Might be time for a change at the top. Not much different than say the Seahawks of the NFL, where the vet D core either needed a new HC or needed to get shipped out. Seattle keeping the HC and moving out the D. Chicago doesn't have that luxury to move their vets out due to their guaranteed contracts and cap hits.
CAL - GG is on shaky ground. Missed expectations. Burke and Tree probably prefer to keep him, so will try to make trades to shake up the roster. Failing that, might need to can the coach.
DAL - Hitch should be gone. Was only a temp solution to fix the D structure.
Of the 4 teams fighting for the final 3 spots:
COL/LA/ANA/STL - I think Col - Bednar and LA - Stevens are safe. Colorado took a huge step so even if they miss, he stays. LA, Stevens is in his first season.
Ana - Carlyle gone if they miss despite the injuries to the D and Kesler/Getlaf. And even if they make the playoffs, but go down within 5 games, he could get canned too.
STL - Yeo gone too if they miss, despite selling at the TDL. Same as Carlyle. If they get beat within 5 games or less, he's gone too.

Nash, Win, Vegas, SJ coaches should be fine. DeBoer is the shakiest if they go out again in round 1.
Minnesota - Boudreau gone if they go down in round 1 despite the tough matchup.

In the East -

BUF - Housely in year 1 and with rookie GM. He stays.
OTT - Can go either way.
DET - Holland is loyal and will keep JB during their rebuild if he can. Knows the roster needs to get turned over. Maybe finally accepts a rebuild.
MON - GM and HC could both be gone. Failed expectations, however, their expectations are unrealistic given their roster. Owner needs to really listen to GM candidates on their assessment of the roster. Can't just hire guys who promise a quick turnaround.
NYR - AV probably goes with the change in direction of the team
NYI - Weight, the defensive structure is really poor, that's on coaching
CAR - Peters is gone, with a new GM coming in.
FLA - BB is safe after year 1.
NJD - Hynes is safe with their turnaround season.
PHI - Don't see Hextall making a change in Hakstol.
WAS - Trotz is gone unless they get to final 4 minimum
CBS - Torts might need a 1st round win to be safe.

Don't think anyone else is on thin ice. TB with Cooper could be fired if the Bolts go down in round 1, but barring that, if they fall to Boston in round 2, it shouldn't result in a firing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If I had to bet money today, I'd say Bill Peters is not fired. The new owner absolutely gushes about the guy and chose to move Francis out of the GM role vs. going after the coach. Of course, it will depend on who is the new GM to some extent, but Dundon seems to really like Peters.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
What’s that old Dino Tipp up to these days? Wonder how long before he gets another chance to stifle a team’s offence through strict defensive habits.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Because he was their guy behind the bench that took them to three Stanley Cups. Firing him so soon would probably upset the fans more than if it were Bowman getting fired. But if their preference is Bowman stay over Q, then I would guess Q resigns as head coach if he isn't fired.
You clearly do not have your finger on the pulse of the Blackhawks fans.

I'm not saying Q's gone for sure, but if he stays, it's not because the fans would be upset if he were fired.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What’s that old Dino Tipp up to these days? Wonder how long before he gets another chance to stifle a team’s offence through strict defensive habits.
I would only hire Tip if you want your team to play better then expectations. Tip got more with less in AZ.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
TMac is safe if Edmonton, he had an above average year last year and the team fell back down to earth this year. You can't expect much more out of that roster. He will get a solid 20 games next year before they give him the axe

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Last off season, Bob Murray stated that Carlyle and the Ducks are taking a year to year approach in regards to Randy's future, and that at some point they've agreed he'll be bumping upstairs into a management/scout/advisor role.

I think I speak for the vast majority of Ducks fans when I say that I hope the stress of dealing with all the injuries and this playoff drive coming right down to the wire, will be enough to push Randy off the bench for next year. It's time for a change and their should be some good options available.

Could see Quenville being a good fit in ANA

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
The Trotz drama will be interesting to watch.

Trotz is a winning coach, no question. Do you fire a solid coach who will always coach-up a top tier team?

Who do you hire then?

Most interesting drama to watch.....

Most boring change? Mclellan will get the bums-rush into the parking lot

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Most of twitter is fire AV - he has another 50 SOG game this night so he is probably gone end of this season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sedins won Art Ross trophies under AV.
CANUCKS always had on of the best pp% under AV Too, something the Oilers desperately need.
I'll take my chances

This is back when AV's extreme zone starts scheme was proprietary. It took the NHL all of one offseason to figure that out and SEVEN years later AV has yet to make a single adjustment.

He has no system outside of deployment.

You seen that Rangers roster? That one is not on AV. His teams win a pretty consistent 45-50 games a year.

I see the best roster we've had since 2014-15.

We completely overhauled the defense this past summer and our defensive play got worse.

We're buried in 31st in CF% an entire standard deviation below #30. We haven't outshot a team not named the Washington Capitals in two months.

Have you seen some of the rosters ahead of us? Have you seen some of the rosters who, I don't know, have games where they outshoot opponents? Because we actually don't.

There is no system. AV doesn't coach. We have no breakout scheme, we don't bother to play in the neutral zone, there's no scheme at either blueline, we have no formation, and I can say with complete honesty and zero hyperbole that the Rangers literally don't cycle. We run up and down the ice waiting for an odd-man rush to just happen, and if it doesn't, we toss the puck into the other team's end and all five guys retreat. Either that, or Kreider/Buchnevich start their own cycle and get benched for it. AV essentially steals a paycheck to stand behind the bench and not coach.

His teams have routinely won games because he hasn't coached an NHL team this century that didn't have Luongo or Lundqvist on it. No coach in NHL history has a higher save percentage. Not even close.

The only thing he actually does is toss players under the bus at every single opportunity he gets. He's healthy scratching Henrik Lundqvist now, calling him out to the media, and leaving him out to give up 7 goals while glaring at him from the bench, just because it's Lundqvist's "job" to win games and we aren't. Guess who's job it is for the Oilers to win games. If you want McDavid scratched and bad-mouthed in the paper every day, be my guest. You got Russians on your team? They're already benched. Because they're Russian. Got good possession players on your team? Benched. AV hates having the puck. It goes against the "system." (Or better yet, exposes the fact that there isn't one)

There's no defensive structure whatsoever and 78 games into the season there's still not a single Ranger on the ice at any given time who actually knows what their assignment is. There's guys who have been here since 2013-14 when AV started who still don't know what the f*** their assignment is on a given play. The second most common post in our GDT's is "whose man even was that?" after an opponent scores with no Ranger around him for 10 feet. The top most common post is "why has Buchnevich played 8 minutes tonight?" Because he's Russian.

You would honest to God be better off not hiring a coach and letting McDavid do it than hiring AV.

Reactions: Ori

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've never seen anything like the hatred of AV amongst our fanbase.

HFNYR can't agree on anything. There's not another aspect of our team that you could propose that would get more than 40% of HFNYR on board.

Meanwhile, there's literally three Rangers fans who don't hate AV. I could name them. From the newest posters to the oldest posters, from the analytics nerds to the folks who wanna bring goons back, everyone unanimously thinks he's a dumpster fire of a coach.

Even Girardi, at his absolute worst, still had half the fanbase behind him. AV's own mother probably thinks his system is shit at this point.

I invite anyone who thinks he'll be a good option for their team to catch a Rangers game before he's gone and watch us play not-hockey. I guarantee you've never seen anything like it.

Reactions: Ori

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Q is part of the old NHL, his stuff isn't working anymore,
yes losing Crawford was a huge factor this season, but Hawks
boat has been sinking slowly for years now, its not just this season.

If Hawks does not give Q das boot,
Hawks will sink faster and have more casualties than the Titanic.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You seen the Rangers consistently this year?

Now that we've made a bunch of trades it's easy to say "but look at the roster!"

The Rangers are in the ECF last year if AV doesn't single-handedly just hand Ottawa that series. The roster the Rangers started 17-18 with is much better than the roster AV Ottawa beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad