Speculation: Coaching changes

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
OK, this no trade period is torture! Since we can't trade can we speculate on what coaches are gone after the season ends? Who are the first to go and who replaces them?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I think Vigneault's gone as Rangers coach after this season. Gulutzan in Calgary as well. Quenneville in Chicago probably gets the boot too.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Last off season, Bob Murray stated that Carlyle and the Ducks are taking a year to year approach in regards to Randy's future, and that at some point they've agreed he'll be bumping upstairs into a management/scout/advisor role.

I think I speak for the vast majority of Ducks fans when I say that I hope the stress of dealing with all the injuries and this playoff drive coming right down to the wire, will be enough to push Randy off the bench for next year. It's time for a change and their should be some good options available.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If the Kings miss the playoffs except them to fire Stevens I hope that our ahl coach Mike Stothers will be the next king coach He knows how to put our kids in the best position to succeed because he has coached them before.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Gulutzan, Vigneault, Housley, McLellan, and Boucher (stupid idea, but it's something Melnyk will do). Firing Quenneville will be impossible for Chicago, only way he's gone is if a team offers him Babcock money.

Vigneault is replaced by Ruff.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Gulutzan, Vigneault, Housley, McLellan, and Boucher (stupid idea, but it's something Melnyk will do). Firing Quenneville will be impossible for Chicago, only way he's gone is if a team offers him Babcock money.

How so? It's well noted that Q and Bowman have a rocky relationship at this point.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
How so? It's well noted that Q and Bowman have a rocky relationship at this point.

Because he was their guy behind the bench that took them to three Stanley Cups. Firing him so soon would probably upset the fans more than if it were Bowman getting fired. But if their preference is Bowman stay over Q, then I would guess Q resigns as head coach if he isn't fired.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Because he was their guy behind the bench that took them to three Stanley Cups. Firing him so soon would probably upset the fans more than if it were Bowman getting fired. But if their preference is Bowman stay over Q, then I would guess Q resigns as head coach if he isn't fired.

No it wouldn't. The fans cannot stand Q at this point. His roster utilization is terrible and the team needs a new voice.

Q will be 'promoted' and allowed to interview for another position. I'm not sure if it happens this summer, but saying it's impossible is extremely far off from reality.

More likely than not he's gone this summer or they give him the excuse that they lost Crawford for half the season and give him one more crack at getting back to the playoffs.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He has a track record there and is due $12m over the next 2 years. I think they'll give him another year, despite how rough the relationship between him and Bowman is.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He has a track record there and is due $12m over the next 2 years. I think they'll give him another year, despite how rough the relationship between him and Bowman is.

I think the perception of Q and how people regard him is much higher on the outside than it is with Chicago fans atm. People want him gone and this is probably the summer it's most likely to happen. The money should not be an issue.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I'll be very surprised if Ruff ends up being the coach. He's tainted by this teams performance much like AV. I think they brought him in to potentially be interim HC if AV didn't make the rest of the year, I don't think Gorton wants him taking the team over but that's just me.

Reactions: Riche16

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Id be stunned if Q is still HC of the Hawks next year..I think either he walks away..or is fired (by promotion).

If the Oilers can TM...Q is the guy id hope they pay handsomely to become HC here.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If the Kings miss the playoffs except them to fire Stevens I hope that our ahl coach Mike Stothers will be the next king coach He knows how to put our kids in the best position to succeed because he has coached them before.

I don't think LA fires Stevens after one season.

Q and Gulutzan are both gone for sure IMO. Vigneault and Weight are maybes for me.

I think Housley and Stevens both start next season with their teams.

I could see Carlyle getting "promoted" if Anaheim misses the playoffs, and Murray would be hard after Q. Not sure the owners would pay the $ needed to get him though.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I hope Carlyle is out of there.... today.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't think LA fires Stevens after one season.

Q and Gulutzan are both gone for sure IMO. Vigneault and Weight are maybes for me.

I think Housley and Stevens both start next season with their teams.

I could see Carlyle getting "promoted" if Anaheim misses the playoffs, and Murray would be hard after Q. Not sure the owners would pay the $ needed to get him though.
Kings insider The mayor recently stated that he thinks if the kings miss Stevens is gone. He just doesn't seem to have the kings coming into games fully motivated imo. We have given up the first goal like 50 + times this year. I honestly think we need Mike Stothers He has coached and trusts the kings younger players. Stevens is scared to imo. This is the weakness in the kings approach for the last few seasons. The really need more elcs contracts playing real time in spots to succeed Players like Amadio and brodzinski need more mins but not getting the opportunity

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Kings insider The mayor recently stated that he thinks if the kings miss Stevens is gone. He just doesn't seem to have the kings coming into games fully motivated imo. We have given up the first goal like 50 + times this year. I honestly think we need Mike Stothers He has coached and trusts the kings younger players. Stevens is scared to imo. This is the weakness in the kings approach for the last few seasons. The really need more elcs contracts playing real time in spots to succeed Players like Amadio and brodzinski need more mins but not getting the opportunity

Yeah I follow the mayor a lot, but he also said they were getting Big Joe too. Not saying it’s impossible but I still don’t think Blake gives up on him after 1 year. Even if they don’t make the playoffs (I think they will personally), there’s still improved from last season.

Coors19

Jul 18, 2011
Boucher will be out of Ottawa. His history will predict that. Great in the first year, miss playoffs second year. Fired. Sheldon Keefe would be a great replacement for him in Ottawa

Reactions: Vachon23

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yeah I follow the mayor a lot, but he also said they were getting Big Joe too. Not saying it’s impossible but I still don’t think Blake gives up on him after 1 year. Even if they don’t make the playoffs (I think they will personally), there’s still improved from last season.
Well yes i agree he was wrong about joe However he was 2 months ahead of dean and sutter firings. Also called Peterson and iafallo signing with us. As for Joe he also said that if he leaves sj he would sign in la so not really a miss to me

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010

Darryl Sutter says hi. He only got 2 with the Kings but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well yes i agree he was wrong about joe However he was 2 months ahead of dean and sutter firings. Also called Peterson and iafallo signing with us. As for Joe he also said that if he leaves sj he would sign in la so not really a miss to me

I'm not denying the guys connections. I'm just saying I don't think they're going to fire a guy after one year, even if he's saying it's possible. If they did, I think it's a joke personally. Maybe I'd feel differently if they were awful, but firing a coach after one season is a joke, especially when there's been clear improvement from the previous year.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
A contingent of Flyers fans want Hakstol fired, playoffs or no playoffs. Our GM is safe for now, but his attachment to the first HC he hired is starting to jade some opinions. No idea about a new GM, years away. Would almost take any competent (so hard to find) HC to replace current option. Only requisite for new HC is, what fans thought would be relevant in current HC, to play uong players in meaningful spots with likewise minutes. Hakstol relies on bad safe vets instead of skilled youth, which is maddening. Optimum line-ups are seldom employed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad