Coaches who preach shot blocking need to be run out of the league

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In the spirit of player safety why is this sport filled with coaches that demand players block shots? I can't be the only one that cringes when I see players willingly stand in front of a 90+ MPH shot because their coach and the culture of the team demands he do it?
That is one of the most ridiculous posts Ive read here. The guy is going to shoot the puck, everyone get out of the way so he has a clear shot.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
simmonds-goal-russell-on-ice.gif

I'll miss watching Russell make snow angels.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Coaches who preach shot blocking from low danger scoring areas/shots need to be run out of the league. It creates more problems than letting the goalie make the save. Shot blocking from high danger areas/shots are still very usefull and should be encouraged

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Five on three power play? How dare you try and lay out to block a one timer past a sprawling goalie into an open net.

Ive seen this topic come up a few times now. I'm also shocked at how many people actually support it. It's a phrase that people use way too much now, but I honestly find this to be the worst idea I've ever heard for the sport. I don't agree at all that it somehow smothers offence and results in boring hockey with low scores every night.

You can have all the super fast, high skill elusive guys in the world but I firmly believe you'd never win it all without gritty, heart and soul guys who make a living blocking shots and doing dirty work.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Personally I think the league should make a rule that if a players knees touch the ice and a puck hits him, he has to get off the ice instantly(and if he touches the puck (on purpose) before he gets off that is a penalty).

This will cut down on injuries and increase scoring a bit

For the sake of argument I might add that this only is the case in your defensive zone, players can't intentional shoot a puck at a guy who is already on the ground, and a player could drop their stick if they choose and continue to play but if they block a shot on their knees a 2nd time before they get off the ice that would be a penalty

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Define what a shot block is. Blocking a shot with your body? Your stick?

More scoring? Jesus. Just remove the goalie and play 4 on 4 while you're at it. The bigger the sport gets, the more it becomes a spectator sport.

Selling out to block a shot is something a casual fan will never understand. Campbell and his teammates would agree.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Let's ban goaltenders having a glove-it'll lead to more scoring. :sarcasm:

Pay me what NHL players are making and I'll gladly stand in front of the shots they have to block.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
In the spirit of player safety we need to replace the puck with a wiffle ball

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Uh. Breaking a leg, arm, ankle, foot, hand...in the grand scheme of things...is nothing. It's not even in the same realm of protecting the head and concussions that could possibly lead to mental illness etc. Your life isn't going to be changed forever from a broken foot. These guys get paid millions of dollars. More than an acceptable risk.

Oct 18, 2011
So what I'm hearing here is alot of you are ok with players getting injured due to coaches orders.

I am not saying ban shot blocking. If a player wants to do it that's different

If a coach is preaching shot blocking as a tactic and tries to shame them for it, like Don Cherry has in his segments that's wrong.

Is this sport really better if Connor McDavid breaks his hand and misses 20 games for doing it?

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
So what I'm hearing here is alot of you are ok with players getting injured due to coaches orders.

I am not saying ban shot blocking. If a player wants to do it that's different

If a coach is preaching shot blocking as a tactic and tries to shame them for it, like Don Cherry has in his segments that's wrong.

Is this sport really better if Connor McDavid breaks his hand and misses 20 games for doing it?

That never happens to the stars. And if it happens. It happens. Won't affect the sport. And no coach is going to encourage Connor McDavid to block a shot, which makes that question beyond ridiculous. If he blocks a shot it will be from his own desire to do that, which you basically said is OK.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You are taught at a young age to get between the skater as a basic fundamental aspect of defending and it evolves the longer and the higher leagues you go into. When i stared in Midget and made it to more obscure junior leagues it becomes second nature to get in front of shots. Why? Because you are a team, you want to win and you will do pretty much anything (legally) to accomplish that and if that means sacrificing your body some then so be it. Im 6'8 with skates and weigh 245 pounds, i have played primarily defensive my entire career so i could not imagine my goalies getting any more pissed that a i didn't sacrifice myself for the betterment of the team when they have to game in and game out.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
You can’t outright ban blocking its impossible. You could implement a rule that a player can go down to one knee or remain standing to block shots and passing lanes but no sliding full body on the ground. It doesn’t dramatically change the game, but i would imagine that would make a difference on 1-4 plays per game on average. Biggest difference i can think is a 2 on 1. If the defender can’t slide to block the lane it increases the scoring threat on a play like that in a lot of cases.

Reactions: RedMenace

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agreed. Shot blocking causes more trouble than it's worth. Clean shots a goalie can see from so far away have a 2-3% chance of being goals and I'd wager a guess that a higher rate than that of blocked shots end up becoming broken play goals or own goal deflections. Shot blocking is a -EV move no matter how you look at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad