Coaches who preach shot blocking need to be run out of the league

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Well safety wise it doesnt matter too much but its a better hockey play to let your goalie to see the puck

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I think that if a shot is taken from far away enough that the goalie should be able to handle it there’s no need to block it.. Shot blocking is useless. All it does is rebound the puck back to the offense. Let the goalie grab the shot and you have a good chance at controlling the puck.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No, it's not hockey.

For the better part of the 20th century, and a hundred years from the inception of the first pro leagues (1890ish), deliberate shot blocking by skaters was virtually unheard of. This crap showed up and increased exponentially from the late 1990s on.

I 100% support the league setting up a rule against leaving your feet to block a shot. This is ruining the show.

Players are good at blocking without leaving their feet now. I'm not sure how much of an effect this rule would have, although gainey did propose it about 15 years ago and it didn't gain much traction.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Er have enough stupid rules as it is and shot blocking is a part of D

Unless you want them to just lay down and let them shoot an infinite number of pucks on net..
or induce players to shoot at other players in order to get a power play ! What a freaking nightmare !

some guys are gonna lay the body down pretty much no matter what, they know what the outcomes could be.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its not the shot blocking that's the issue, its how players are blocking the shots. They get a false sense of security because of their tank armor they are wearing. Players used to be great at it technically, tuck your chin, make sure your arms aren't exposed and cover your head if you can.

I am amazed at the times i see players get hit in the hand or exposed body parts because their coaches are idiots or the players themselves are too dumb to realize that pucks hurt. There have been a lot of broken bones because of the improper training. It used to be an art, now it just looks like you are blocking the shot and hope you live to tell the tale.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
No more slap shots, guys can get hurt, right?

How about we do 20 rounds of penalty shots, and the team with the most goals is the winner?!

And we'll put a screen up in the shape of a goalie. Wouldn't want a player getting hurt.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I've been watching hockey for decades. Shot block is not old school hockey. It's a new concept.

I think in general it's pretty boring, and leads to dull shot from the point pinball hockey. Back in the 90s when it was rare, one or two players (typically slow defenders) would be noted as shot blockers. And when the would do it in the playoffs, since it was really rare in the regular season, those were exciting plays.

As a system its more boring than good. I don't have an opinion on banning it for safety reasons. it's pretty safe as of now. But i'd be all for removing it on entertainment/skill principles.

Simple 2 minute delay of game for dropping to a knee or leaving your skates to block a shot.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Simple 2 minute delay of game for dropping to a knee or leaving your skates to block a shot.

So you'll have Drew Doughty, and I guarantee he will do this, whenever an opponent loses his edge in the center, Doughty will blast him with the puck to draw a cheap blocking penalty. That would be the most subjective penalty in the game.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So you'll have Drew Doughty, and I guarantee he will do this, whenever an opponent loses his edge in the center, Doughty will blast him with the puck to draw a cheap blocking penalty. That would be the most subjective penalty in the game.

You're worried the refs will call rules as written? Are we watching the same league? What's more subjective than boarding?

Make it for deliberate attempts in the defensive zone.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
You're worried the refs will call rules as written? Are we watching the same league? What's more subjective than boarding?

Make it for deliberate attempts in the defensive zone.

Define a deliberate attempt. was I falling down and Doughty happened to blast me with the puck, or did I drop down to block a legitimate shot?

Now that I think about it, embellishment is probably the most subjective call there is.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Define a deliberate attempt. was I falling down and Doughty happened to blast me with the puck, or did I drop down to block a legitimate shot?

Now that I think about it, embellishment is probably the most subjective call there is.

Would you like to remove embellishment as a penalty? If not, we can work around this and make deliberate shot blocking a penalty.

Intentional offsides is a violation. The refs are trusted with quite a bit of interpretation there.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
While I agree that shot blocking shouldn't be as common as it is now (a lot of times, just letting your goalie save it is the better option), it should still be part of the game, and an intelligent shot block can still be exciting depending on the circumstance.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Same here. My favourite player growing up was Guy Carbonneau. One of the best at it.

A timely shot block, or two or more in the same shift or on a PK can also have a positive impact on momentum. Gets the bench going and the crowd going too.

Love seeing millionaire giving up their body for the team and fans. But I might be biased since I’m not a fan of 5-6 games I enjoy the defensive aspect of the game

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Would you like to remove embellishment as a penalty? If not, we can work around this and make deliberate shot blocking a penalty.

Intentional offsides is a violation. The refs are trusted with quite a bit of interpretation there.

I would love to remove embellishment as a penalty. It purports to know a player's intent. Any penalties should be based on objective action. Guy loses a skate and goes down harder than usual, embellishment is called because a ref assumes the INTENT of the player was to get the ref's attention. Meanwhile, players all over the place are grabbing a stick under their arm to force a hooking call, and that always goes unpunished.

I would also love to remove intentional offside.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Let me ask you this: Say, hypothetically, we penalize shot blocking.....would you support allowing it on the penalty kill the way they allow icing?

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Love seeing millionaire giving up their body for the team and fans. But I might be biased since I’m not a fan of 5-6 games I enjoy the defensive aspect of the game
Yeah I'm the same way. And that brings up a good point. People could try and appreciate the defensive aspect of hockey instead of trying to come up with this kind of stuff. They might just be surprised to find that it is very possible to appreciate the defensive aspects of the game.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I would love to remove embellishment as a penalty. It purports to know a player's intent. Any penalties should be based on objective action. Guy loses a skate and goes down harder than usual, embellishment is called because a ref assumes the INTENT of the player was to get the ref's attention. Meanwhile, players all over the place are grabbing a stick under their arm to force a hooking call, and that always goes unpunished.

I would also love to remove intentional offside.

It's an interesting take. I was happy to see Soccer at least acknowledge that embellishment was becoming comical in their sport. Yours might be the first opinion I've ever seen anyone express about intentional offsides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad