Coaches who preach shot blocking need to be run out of the league

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Slinding to block shot should be banned. Increase safety, increase scoring.
The premise of this thread is pretty poorly informed, but this is pretty reasonable.

Even in beer leagues it’s nature to get in front of the shots you’re comfortable getting in front of. These guys do it for a career so their comfort level is a lot higher. It’s an instinct of the game. So coaches don’t matter. Most players will still do it regardless.

To @LeHab’s point, that would be the way to address the issue if you think one exists. Personally I’m okay w it. No sliding to block shots makes sense on a lot of levels. And it should increase the skill necessary to actually block shots. It now requires skill to remain in good enough position to stand and block. It also opens up plays that wouldn’t be available currently. Come to think of it, I’ve hated a lot of the “gimmicky” changes, but I’m on board w this one.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Just to follow up i like it because it’s a new rule that actually increases skill in the game. Eliminating sliding doesn’t decrease the skill required, it’s a net gain. And it should also lead to more scoring opportunities. It’s sort of radical but maybe no sliding in general. A ref could call interference at his descretion if he believed a player slid deliberately to block a shot or pass. It opens up a lot of plays that are otherwise unavailable.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Regardless of their coaching preaching shot blocking or not most of those players are going to lay down to block shots on their own.

member 151739

I agree, but not because of safety concerns. The coaches who do this also love playing talentless plugs for no tangible reason beyond favoritism.

I really thought this thread would be about how out of touch most coaches and GMs are.

Reactions: Aerrol

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Er have enough stupid rules as it is and shot blocking is a part of D

Unless you want them to just lay down and let them shoot an infinite number of pucks on net..

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It's hockey. If you don't love it then
No, it's not hockey.

For the better part of the 20th century, and a hundred years from the inception of the first pro leagues (1890ish), deliberate shot blocking by skaters was virtually unheard of. This crap showed up and increased exponentially from the late 1990s on.

I 100% support the league setting up a rule against leaving your feet to block a shot. This is ruining the show.

Reactions: Legionnaire

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
2 minute penalty if anyone besides a goalie makes an attempt to stop a shot on goal.

That would be a nightmare to call. Are you only going to call it if it appears to be intentional? What if you are just already in the way?

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Shot blocking might be boring, but banning it would promote an equally boring style of offense. Do people love shots from the points, screens and deflections that much?

Plus anything that gets referees more involved in the game is a step in the wrong direction IMO. We'd get a bunch of "Did he fall or did he slide moments" that would make everyone angry.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
No, it's not hockey.

For the better part of the 20th century, and a hundred years from the inception of the first pro leagues (1890ish), deliberate shot blocking by skaters was virtually unheard of. This crap showed up and increased exponentially from the late 1990s on.

I 100% support the league setting up a rule against leaving your feet to block a shot. This is ruining the show.

Fair point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad