News Article: Clifford off to free agency

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kapanen is a guy who can play in anyone's top 6 and can kill penalties. I'm not sure how they're even close to comparable. Clifford is slow, doesnt kill penalties, doesnt produce and is too slow to throw many big hits anymore. Hes a 4th liner who'll play 10 minutes a night. Considering we've selected guys like Robertson and Dermott in the 2nd, you'd rather have Clifford over the possibility of a prospect like them? Hell, you may not even need to go on the open market to find a replacement when we have guys like Korshkov already in the system. Then there's UFA' like Simmonds, Lewis, Eakin, Sobotka, Weise, Maroon, Nolan etc.
They aren’t even close to comparables. Tom Wilson won’t push his crap around Clifford. He knows Clifford has his job to do if he does. He will when there is no Clifford and did as a matter of fact. Many did and miraculously that stopped when Clifford was around. Them guys are different you listed.we have 11 picks this draft, lots of 6/7 but 11 none the less. We have assets to move that will/ could bring 2nds easy. Just hilarious you didn’t put Martin in the list of comparables when he is the only one Man

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
They aren’t even close to comparables. Tom Wilson won’t push his crap around Clifford. He knows Clifford has his job to do if he does. He will when there is no Clifford and did as a matter of fact. Many did and miraculously that stopped when Clifford was around. Them guys are different you listed.we have 11 picks this draft, lots of 6/7 but 11 none the less. We have assets to move that will/ could bring 2nds easy. Just hilarious you didn’t put Martin in the list of comparables when he is the only one Man
Tom Wilson is a better fighter than Clifford. I honestly never noticed Clifford since he came over. Besides, if you can replace him for cheaper and without giving up a 2nd you do it.

Reactions: 17 Clark

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As much as I like Clifford, 4th line grit isn't really all that useful. If he could still play in the top 9 then he'd be worth bringing back, but those days are past.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
As much as I like Clifford, 4th line grit isn't really all that useful. If he could still play in the top 9 then he'd be worth bringing back, but those days are past.
I know eh. I like him more than most i guess. I want someone who will answer the bell when we are playing someone that is running around. He does that and he doesn’t hurt you as a player. He’s smart and still moves good for a big cat. He’s the guy you can throw on for a shift on the top two lines to straighten someone out. Old school tactic now but it worked before

Reactions: kb

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Do you have any proof that incidents stopped happening once we got Clifford? And you mentioned Martin, did you want me to list him again? You seemed aware of him already. And Tom Wilson, as much as I hate him, is a great fighter and isnt really scared of anyone, Clifford included.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
4th line grit isn't useful?????????????????????????

wow,,just wow

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Do you have any proof that incidents stopped happening once we got Clifford? And you mentioned Martin, did you want me to list him again? You seemed aware of him already. And Tom Wilson, as much as I hate him, is a great fighter and isnt really scared of anyone, Clifford included.
Yes. I watch the games. I think it proves something that you question it too. You don’t get the game really that much if you haven’t seen it or noticed it actually. Wow proof. I got no time for games bro. Just go play that stuff with someone else maybe. I just don’t play that little game. Your comparable are a mile off
Clifford isn’t scared of him either

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Clifford's line against Columbus was actually quite effective and played really well. His fists weren't need, but his physical game was nice to see.

With losing him to UFA (which is fine...I'd rather keep the 2nd), they are going to find a similar player......is it Simmonds? Maybe....not if he wants top 6 money. Is a guy like Josh Anderson available (if he can still recover from his shoulder issue)? I highly doubt Martin will sign anywhere other than NYI - too bad Babcock wasted this asset. On the UFA market aside from Simmonds, there is not much available sadly.

If they don't add a similar type player up front and I'd like to see a guy like Gudas on the back end, there certainly is not anyone in the system that plays like this, then this team will without doubt be the softest team in recent memory. Look at what Tampa did - added Bogosian, Maroon, Coleman, Goodrow, even Schenn, plus they already had Cobourn, Paquette, Sergachev.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes. I watch the games. I think it proves something that you question it too. You don’t get the game really that much if you haven’t seen it or noticed it actually. Wow proof. I got no time for games bro. Just go play that stuff with someone else maybe. I just don’t play that little game. Your comparable are a mile off

Wilson put up a couple good fights but in da end got da wood put to him and he stopped when hit by da hammer ... and Clifford knew that he landed and did not finish him off ... that is why Clifford helps he showed Wilson who was boss man on da ice ... watch as Wilson puts his head down and says no mas

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas can’t draft all skill and expect this complete fu***** nuisance of having the wrong mix continuously nagging at the construction of the team. Draft some of these guys or beat the feet dubas. I could turn on this guy right quick here coming if he is going to act like Babcock did by thinking he knows better than everyone else. Fine if Clifford was asking a bit rich. He needs to have that element to our team or we have the wrong guy running the team.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I liked having Clifford on the team. But his minutes were seriously cut here, compared to LA. And we couldn't afford to even give him the same money he was making before. Add that to the pick exchange if he extended, and there was no way he was coming back.

There's not a ton like him on the UFA list. But Simmonds is close. Even washed up, he can probably play 10 minutes a game and hit some people. I'd be happy with that. Who knows, maybe some extra time off helped him find some more gas in the tank.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Clifford's line against Columbus was actually quite effective and played really well. His fists weren't need, but his physical game was nice to see.

With losing him to UFA (which is fine...I'd rather keep the 2nd), they are going to find a similar player......is it Simmonds? Maybe....not if he wants top 6 money. Is a guy like Josh Anderson available (if he can still recover from his shoulder issue)? I highly doubt Martin will sign anywhere other than NYI - too bad Babcock wasted this asset. On the UFA market aside from Simmonds, there is not much available sadly.

If they don't add a similar type player up front and I'd like to see a guy like Gudas on the back end, there certainly is not anyone in the system that plays like this, then this team will without doubt be the softest team in recent memory. Look at what Tampa did - added Bogosian, Maroon, Coleman, Goodrow, even Schenn, plus they already had Cobourn, Paquette, Sergachev.
I would like Gudas and Dillon instead of Pietrangelo actually. Them two guys put it all on the line and cover two positions on defense with more of a needs thing. Both would likely only be the same cost as pietrangelo. Trade out The rest of that third line and Freddy if needed. Thete are issues when we can’t afford a needed player like that because he likely wants $1,750,00 per. Engvall can disappear at $1,250,000 and its almost paid Clifford. Dubas is asking for trouble and will get it if he keeps missing the mark on how to construct a team.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I would like Gudas and Dillon instead of Pietrangelo actually. Them two guys put it all on the line and cover two positions on defense with more of a needs thing. Both would likely only be the same cost as pietrangelo. Trade out The rest of that third line and Freddy if needed. Thete are issues when we can’t afford a needed player like that because he likely wants $1,750,00 per. Engvall can disappear at $1,250,000 and its almost paid Clifford. Dubas is asking for trouble and will get it if he keeps missing the mark on how to construct a team.

Not a bad plan, overall. But I would stay far away from Gudas. Personally, he looks like a bully from my high-school days (I checked, it's not him). But he also had his lowest average ice-time of his career last season, only 16:44. Expecting anything more than a 3rd pair guy is a mistake.

Washington soured on him quickly. He was a healthy scratch at times by the end of the year, and into the playoffs. And he's never actually been good in his own end. He's a suspension on skates, in my opinion. And if he regresses any more, then he's completely useless other than the odd big hit.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Kyle Clifford is going to find a very harsh reality when he goes to UFA.

Many (most?) GMs will have a mandate from ownership to cut payroll this year. If you're a GM, that means picking between your core / young pieces, and depth / veteran players... core & youth is always going to win out.

The decision to NOT sign a Kyle Clifford, and instead either invite some guys on PTOs or let your farm system compete for the job is a lot easier than making adjustments to a core piece.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Kyle Clifford is going to find a very harsh reality when he goes to UFA.

Many (most?) GMs will have a mandate from ownership to cut payroll this year. If you're a GM, that means picking between your core / young pieces, and depth / veteran players... core & youth is always going to win out.

The decision to NOT sign a Kyle Clifford, and instead either invite some guys on PTOs or let your farm system compete for the job is a lot easier than making adjustments to a core piece.
I think he will have a hard time too and then resign back here ... at 1M per he fits in perfectly

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

You made a claim, showing his fight clips doesnt back that claim. We know he fights thats not what I'm questioning. Which game am I playing here? The one where I ask for proof of the theory that goons prevent stars from being targeted? That's a game? And I never said Clifford was scared of him. You dont watch the games apparently because skilled players were still getting targeted. Hell, Freddie was still being run almost nightly. The opposition doesnt suddenly stop the goonery because you added a 4th line winger who plays 10 minutes a game. That's never been the case, ever.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
Dubas can’t draft all skill and expect this complete fu***** nuisance of having the wrong mix continuously nagging at the construction of the team. Draft some of these guys or beat the feet dubas. I could turn on this guy right quick here coming if he is going to act like Babcock did by thinking he knows better than everyone else. Fine if Clifford was asking a bit rich. He needs to have that element to our team or we have the wrong guy running the team.
Can't agree more. It's also the type of D he acquires this offseason too. I'm gonna lose my mind if he acquires any more offensive D where the Leafs are forced to combine 2 small soft puck moving types together on their pairings. Get off the pot and address the cruel reality that the Leafs are the softest easiest team to play against in the league, it's getting sickening to watch.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Can't agree more. It's also the type of D he acquires this offseason too. I'm gonna lose my mind if he acquires any more offensive D where the Leafs are forced to combine 2 small soft puck moving types together on their pairings. Get off the pot and address the cruel reality that the Leafs are the softest easiest team to play against in the league, it's getting sickening to watch.

Very much this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You made a claim, showing his fight clips doesnt back that claim. We know he fights thats not what I'm questioning. Which game am I playing here? The one where I ask for proof of the theory that goons prevent stars from being targeted? That's a game? And I never said Clifford was scared of him. You dont watch the games apparently because skilled players were still getting targeted. Hell, Freddie was still being run almost nightly. The opposition doesnt suddenly stop the goonery because you added a 4th line winger who plays 10 minutes a game. That's never been the case, ever.
You know exactly what he brings in your own perception i suppose but i value him differently i believe. You seem to be completely under valuing him purposely to suit your views. Yes it did stop the degree of teams cocky displays running our guys. Going hard to the net is still allowed last i checked. If they go overboard they get the box. Clifford isn’t a goon either. He actually knows how to play and moves well and plays smart. Goon really. You live in the past man, thete are no three minute goons anymore and 10 minutes of good hockey is respectable.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
One Clifford type won't do anything. You need to replace the goats and Engvals of the world with more Clifford types, if you will. We also need another Muzzin or 2 on the back end.

Reactions: Kurtz

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
One Clifford type won't do anything. You need to replace the goats and Engvals of the world with more Clifford types, if you will. We also need another Muzzin or 2 on the back end.

Studied Stars D a bit. I think Leafs can fix the D without going for a muzzin type.

Leafs need to find a Stephen Johns.

Finds like this solidify D cores.

Was hoping to get a view of him in the cup finals but still injured.

Stephen Johns | Dallas Stars | National Hockey League | Yahoo! Sports

201 hits / 155 blocks.

Perfect partner for Sandin and costs half a Muzzin.

Then they have Oleksiak. Another 100 hit guy.

Johns + Oleksiak are about 4 mil combined.

Then they have Lindell. Their one 5+ mil physical type D who hits and blocks and can put up 30 points.

So, we're missing an Oleksiak, Johns and a Heiskenen. We have our Lindell (Muzzin) and Klingberg (Rielly).

Oleksiak and Johns are easy in theory. I'm not a fan of Holl for this role and want his 2 mil back.

It always comes down to the RHD :help:

edit- Okay when you said muzzin type you probably just meant someone who hits. ah well take my reply anyways lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad