News Article: Clifford off to free agency

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
You do realize Clifford didn't do much of anything right? Why are people so attached to useless grit?
Happy to tetain the 2nd rounder.
This team is getting better by the minute is more like it.

Not based on the recent trend.

Not saying it's a big loss, because it isn't. Still needs to be replaced, and hopefully not by a Denis Malgin or similar player.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Love the hot takes. If you criticized Dubas for the team's lack of grit they will say Dubas acquired Cliffy. Now that he goes to FA, its he did not do much anyway. He was the only Leaf to knock a CBJ on his ass and send him to the dressing room. He also knocked the Canes goalie out only to see Ayre beat us. Good times Cliffy. Can't wait to see who replaces you.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe not a huge surprise if he walks. Thought there still could have been a chance for a re-signing due to the previous history between Dubas and Clifford though. Acquiring Campbell in the same trade might have been in preparation that a pending UFA wasn't going to be long for the team beyond the rest of the current contract. Kerfoot/Barrie could be next to follow that same path.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
In before the inevitable glut of disappointed posts, even though he really didn't do much here.

He's an average NHLer that can easily be replaced in free agency.

I see an argument against the price of upgrading from a 3rd to a 2nd for a 4th liner. I'm not at all confident that the element he added will be easily replaced in free agency. The UFAs offering similar abilities are past their expiry dates.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You do realize Clifford didn't do much of anything right? Why are people so attached to useless grit?
Happy to tetain the 2nd rounder. People just see a gritty player and think take him at all costs. Good thing Dubas is smarter.

2021 2nd rounder 3rd rounder 4th rounder whatever. It is be next to useless. Unless you have a top 5-8 round 1 pick next year you have NOTHING.

Da value of Cliff is not seeing Matty, Mitch or Willy have any issues EVER on ice after he arrived. No one ran any of them after Cliff's arrival. Before Cliff it occurred almost every game.

So his real value is he can skate at NHL level and punch at superheavyweight level. And it effectively polices game for us. All you have to do is watch games and it is completely obvious.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
2021 2nd rounder 3rd rounder 4th rounder whatever. It is be next to useless. Unless you have a top 5-8 round 1 pick next year you have NOTHING.

Da value of Cliff is not seeing Matty, Mitch or Willy have any issues EVER on ice after he arrived. No one ran any of them after Cliff's arrival. Before Cliff it occurred almost every game.

So his real value is he can skate at NHL level and punch at superheavyweight level. And it effectively polices game for us. All you have to do is watch games and it is completely obvious.

Interesting take by Burkie. Cliffy is a player than can take on Reaves. Simmonds is not. Let's see how easily Cliffy is replaceable and whether Dubas even tries. As things stand today, this team is even softer than it was a month ago. Maybe we should replace TC Puck with the Charmaine Bear next year.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It hurts how many people actually believe this.

As if a guy who plays 8 minutes a night is somehow a deterrent for teams to not go after players who play 18+ minutes a night.

Jenner? Foligno? Jones? They all played extremely physical in the series. There goes the ridiculous Clifford theory.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I keep the pick as much as I liked what Campbell brought. That deal was really about getting a backup goalie anyways.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We don't know that the Leafs have let him go completely, I am sure he has to find out what the market will pay. I would kind of like him back but the club has no money and if his expectations aren't extremely modest this had to happen. Im not sure about how easy he will be to replace but they will do something, maybe something bigger than a 4th liner. Too early to say what the lineup will look like.

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Was really underwhelmed by his impact. Aside from the big hit on Kukan during the play-ins, he was useless in every facet. I guess the concussions have really limited his nastiness.

I will say, though - if this management team continues picking up random "tough" pieces in Martin, Boyle, Clifford, etc. and plugging them in to a mismatched 4th line in the hopes that it adds some sort of physical presence, there will be no progress made in making this a tougher team to play against.

Clifford was never going to look good playing beside Spezza, Gauthier, Engvall, etc. He needs likeminded bangers on that line. The main reason the NYI 4th line is so effective is because the line has an identity, something the Leafs 3rd/4th lines have none of. It's just skilled players thrown into a blender together.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Was really underwhelmed by his impact. Aside from the big hit on Kukan during the play-ins, he was useless in every facet. I guess the concussions have really limited his nastiness.

I will say, though - if this management team continues picking up random "tough" pieces in Martin, Boyle, Clifford, etc. and plugging them in to a mismatched 4th line in the hopes that it adds some sort of physical presence, there will be no progress made in making this a tougher team to play against.

Clifford was never going to look good playing beside Spezza, Gauthier, Engvall, etc. He needs likeminded bangers on that line. The main reason the NYI 4th line is so effective is because the line has an identity, something the Leafs 3rd/4th lines have none of. It's just skilled players thrown into a blender together.

So who's fault is it when you trade for a player and misuse him ?? kind of like acquiring Barrie who Babcock completely misused ??

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Exactly right. So I am not sure what good will plucking another guy like this from FA (for example) do. How will that move the needle? You need a few of those, not just 1 Clifford. Even Muzzin is not as effective as he could be because he is surrounded by softness. These guys by themselves don't move the needle as far as your overall team grit goes.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Based on his time with us I have no issues with this, he wasn’t a fit. Doesn’t change that we still need that dynamic, but he obviously wasn’t the guy.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
In before the inevitable glut of disappointed posts, even though he really didn't do much here.

He's an average NHLer that can easily be replaced in free agency.
No big wup. I didn't think he'd be around this year anyhow.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It hurts how many people actually believe this.

As if a guy who plays 8 minutes a night is somehow a deterrent for teams to not go after players who play 18+ minutes a night.

Jenner? Foligno? Jones? They all played extremely physical in the series. There goes the ridiculous Clifford theory.
Spoken like a guy who never laced em up... have you ever been hit so hard your can't see anything but white light from your eyes ... it is not about how many hits are being thrown around that is perfectly fine and a big part of hockey ... it is guys running knees, elbows to da head, boards from behind ... those plays stopped ... no more Carter elbow to Kerfoots' head to knock him out ... Carter would not do this with Cliff on da bench much like it did not happen after cliff arrived ... Carter does not want to get rag dolled and knocked out cold so he refrains from that play ... that is policing a game

Reactions: horner
Mar 12, 2009
Love the hot takes. If you criticized Dubas for the team's lack of grit they will say Dubas acquired Cliffy. Now that he goes to FA, its he did not do much anyway. He was the only Leaf to knock a CBJ on his ass and send him to the dressing room. He also knocked the Canes goalie out only to see Ayre beat us. Good times Cliffy. Can't wait to see who replaces you.
I'll preface with saying I don't care about Dubas one way or the other and never post pro or anti Dubas.

You're so close, yet so far from getting there lol. It is almost as if those people think adding grit wasn't going to be the thing to really help push us over the edge...pointing out to the 'muh grit' posters that Dubas went out and got grit, and also pointing out that acquiring that grit didn't do anything actually tracks logically and supports those people's argument, not yours.

Also don't know what he's asking, if he's asking 2 mil you're giving up a good chunk of the tiny amount of cap you have, and giving a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd away for a 4th liner...sounds like how we tossed good 2nd after bad for 4th liners under the previous regime.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He’s very easily replaceable.

To clarify though. We are giving a 3rd regardless. It would become a 2nd instead if he signed. Him staying would if only brought out pick down 31 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad