News Article: Clifford off to free agency

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
He's easy to replace we're told by every fan who doesn't value the contributions of the player in the first place.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He was rather useless, in actual fact.

He and the 4th line were actually good vs CBJ IMO. Ignoring the fact that they allowed him to walk which most agree was the right move, if he sucked as some claim, does than not fall on Dubas as a bad acquisition (kind of like Pleks yet Pleks did add value once Kadri was suspended vs Bruins)?

Ironic that most Dubas critics liked Cliffy and praise Dubas, while Dubas fanboys thought he did not bring much but still praise the trade anyway.

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Love the hot takes. If you criticized Dubas for the team's lack of grit they will say Dubas acquired Cliffy. Now that he goes to FA, its he did not do much anyway. He was the only Leaf to knock a CBJ on his ass and send him to the dressing room. He also knocked the Canes goalie out only to see Ayre beat us. Good times Cliffy. Can't wait to see who replaces you.

Good post! It's funny watching the dubas defenders flip flop.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
You said "Da value of Cliff is not seeing Matty, Mitch or Willy have any issues EVER on ice after he arrived. No one ran any of them after Cliff's arrival. Before Cliff it occurred almost every game."

That is not some nuanced detail that I'd only pick up on if I had play junior or pro hockey. That's a bold statement presenting two complete opposites that should be obvious to all, or at least easy to point to.

It is obvious that our players were getting run far less once we got Clifford. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand hockey.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You said "Da value of Cliff is not seeing Matty, Mitch or Willy have any issues EVER on ice after he arrived. No one ran any of them after Cliff's arrival. Before Cliff it occurred almost every game."

That is not some nuanced detail that I'd only pick up on if I had play junior or pro hockey. That's a bold statement presenting two complete opposites that should be obvious to all, or at least easy to point to.
Point well taken ... it did not occur all da time but it did happen a few times ... post Clifford it did not happen once ... well corrected

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Love the hot takes. If you criticized Dubas for the team's lack of grit they will say Dubas acquired Cliffy. Now that he goes to FA, its he did not do much anyway. He was the only Leaf to knock a CBJ on his ass and send him to the dressing room. He also knocked the Canes goalie out only to see Ayre beat us. Good times Cliffy. Can't wait to see who replaces you.

The most recognizable name Kid Kyle can find that will play for around $1M. I would think Simmonds is the front runner.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Don't worry...if the Leafs don't make it out of round one of the playoffs next season, he'll be gone...I don't think MLSE will continue to be happy about forking out those massive player bonuses in July with nothing to show for in the playoffs.
Of course I’ll watch what happens here with the degree of grit he brings in first. Clifford probably wants to go back to L. A is likely something to do with it. There was nobody running our guys with no care With Clifford i know that. I watched for it closely and it all but disappeared. Oh well, watch and wait i suppose.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The most recognizable name Kid Kyle can find that will play for around $1M. I would think Simmonds is the front runner.
Dubas fanboys were against Simmonds a year or two back st the TDL. Guess they like him better at the min more now if he signs. He could be another reason why the passed on Cliffy.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The trade was good because Dubas was able to acquire elements people wanted (grit, experience) for minimal asset expenditure and, because of the retention, minimal cap expenditure; in a player that could provide decent play aside from the grit. While Clifford wasn't really bad, the resulting impact of that grit was, as predicted, minimal, so it's acceptable to avoid overpaying a player and losing more assets to keep that grit long-term. There is nothing inconsistent or contradictory about this position. It was always about avoiding overvaluing/overpaying for "grit", in assets and cap, and that's exactly what's been done in both the trade and the decision to walk away.

Reactions: Havoc

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Dubas fanboys were against Simmonds a year or two back st the TDL. Guess they like him better at the min more now if he signs. He could be another reason why the passed on Cliffy.

Well the Dubai were against adding "grit" until Kid Kyle added some grit. Now that the "grit" is leaving, there was apparently no need for it.

I would expect "grit" will be important or not once Kid Kyle assembles his new bottom 6.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Of course I’ll watch what happens here with the degree of grit he brings in first. Clifford probably wants to go back to L. A is likely something to do with it. There was nobody running our guys with no care With Clifford i know that. I watched for it closely and it all but disappeared. Oh well, watch and wait i suppose.
We dont need a policeman. We need guys who can play and will finish checks and be hard on the opponent. Benn, Tkachuk, Simmonds, Jenner, Foligno, Cizikas, Saad, types.

Reactions: egd27

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We dont need a policeman. We need guys who can play and will finish checks and be hard on the opponent. Benn, Tkachuk, Simmonds, Jenner, Foligno, Cizikas, Saad, types.
I would say we need both ... our light weights need to know they can go on da ice and not get run ... if not Clifford then find another guy who can throw HARD TO HURT and skate at NHL level ... but we don't need a guy who runs around dirty runnin guys either ... a Chara/Clifford type who carry da big stick but only use it when required

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
2021 2nd rounder 3rd rounder 4th rounder whatever. It is be next to useless. Unless you have a top 5-8 round 1 pick next year you have NOTHING.

Da value of Cliff is not seeing Matty, Mitch or Willy have any issues EVER on ice after he arrived. No one ran any of them after Cliff's arrival. Before Cliff it occurred almost every game.

So his real value is he can skate at NHL level and punch at superheavyweight level. And it effectively polices game for us. All you have to do is watch games and it is completely obvious.
This is as ridiculous as it gets. You honestly believe Kyle Clifford's 8 minutes a game scared any team from throwing a hit? You can't imagine someone much cheaper playing his role?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Clifford played just fine. You think Tkachuk ? Thats a stretch to say the least.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh......k....
Yes they were aware of Cliffords attributes and that he could possibly punch them out. Clifford demolishes a Columbus player ( forget his name defense anyways) nobody guns for him or runs our guys after it. It was a clean hit that jumped up the bench’s intensity. Hey, I’m not getting in to are they needed or what do they bring. Thats just B.S if any fan still can’t figure it out after the season we just watched and the 4 first round exits caused by not having the killer instinct a couple times or more.

We need more jam not less

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Yes they were aware of Cliffords attributes and that he could possibly punch them out. Clifford demolishes a Columbus player ( forget his name defense anyways) nobody guns for him or runs our guys after it. It was a clean hit that jumped up the bench’s intensity. Hey, I’m not getting in to are they needed or what do they bring. Thats just B.S if any fan still can’t figure it out after the season we just watched and the 4 first round exits caused by not having the killer instinct a couple times or more.

We need more jam not less

Hard to take a run at Clifford. How many minutes did he have the puck in the entire series?

Edit: but just to be clear - the leafs lost with Clifford. So if the first round exits are supposed to be an indicator of how this team isn't built right, using a fourth liner on thhat same team as your shining star seems.... intentionally obtuse.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
What about Tkachuk? He is not a policeman, plays hard and is very difficult to play against. What am I "stretching"??
We can’t get him. I like him i really do. They won’t trade him because they hold a value on their players like that. They are key cogs. Our key cogs are skilled players. The balance can be bottom six and fill it up with scoring skill top 6. The balance of skill is to grit is bad. I like the Tkachuks

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Overall I just hope the Tampa Bay Lightning grab Clifford. If you look at their forward group it's almost exclusively small skill guys with no jam to their game. That's why that team hasn't done anything in the playoffs. It's guys like Point they need to be trading!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hard to take a run at Clifford. How many minutes did he have the puck in the entire series?

Edit: but just to be clear - the leafs lost with Clifford. So if the first round exits are supposed to be an indicator of how this team isn't built right, using a fourth liner on thhat same team as your shining star seems.... intentionally obtuse.
They didn’t score because they couldn’t or wouldn’t penetrate a physical defense. Same issue again,no net front presence. They blocked shots, and had incredible goaltending. The bottom six had zero effect on games. They stink

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We can’t get him. I like him i really do. They won’t trade him because they hold a value on their players like that. They are key cogs. Our key cogs are skilled players. The balance can be bottom six and fill it up with scoring skill top 6. The balance of skill is to grit is bad. I like the Tkachuks

I said Tkachuk types but you are right those types of players don't become available often. With all the Simmonds talk, I bet he signs here cheap. I wouldn't mind going after John Anderson or Jake Virtanen if the price is right.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
They didn’t score because they couldn’t or wouldn’t penetrate a physical defense. Same issue again,no net front presence. They blocked shots, and had incredible goaltending.

You and I actually agree on why they didn't win. I just don't think it's Clifford that has that effect. Some of the leafs young forwards have to make a decision to win those games - and that means going to the net and getting wacked around. Ultimately it's the top nine guys that have to get to the net because they are the ones that actually score goals.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I said Tkachuk types but you are right those types of players don't become available often. With all the Simmonds talk, I bet he signs here cheap. I wouldn't mind going after John Anderson or Jake Virtanen if the price is right.
Oh sorry Tonedog. I get that now. We are losing Clifford and I’m concerned how this might go with dubas going all skill again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad