Clayton Stoner hits Pacioretty. Patches injured on the play.[MOD WARNING IN THE OP ]

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So let me get this straight:
MealyFarAlleycat.gif

Not boarding, not late, good strong hockey play.

http://gfycat.com/SardonicImportantDwarfrabbit
Tangradi "boarding" Folin, 5 and a game.

Oh man, not even remotely close to the same thing.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
MealyFarAlleycat.gif

How thick are the habs haters blinders exactly? Theres no way in hell Stoners hit was a "good strong hockey play with an unfortunate injury", and the puck was gone for a full steamboat before Stoner initiated contact. Can someone do a side-by-side with Burrows hit that got him 3 games for a late hit?

Not sure how you can compare the 2, one is a player admiring his pass who gets hit on the shoulder. The other is a player stopping to play a puck along the boards, while Tangradi changes direction to purposefully put a hit directly on the numbers.

You can maybe call a penalty on Stoner's hit but its more along the lines of good hit bad result. Stoner was locked into the hit before Pac shifted and didn't change his line to try and bury him. So the result was mostly on the position he put himself in before the hit since he didn't expect it.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Clean hit. Interesting that no Hab on the ice started a fight or even a scuffle after that they just stood around after the whistle. Did no one else see the hit or what?

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I don't agree with this "admiring his pass" garbage. I've played a lot of hockey and there are certain situations where you don't expect to be hit because it's straight up cheap. I would be super pissed if someone hit me like that... He didn't need to hit him there. Respect your fellow players.

It's an unwritten rule and a sign of respect to not hit a player when he's in a dangerous position. Most players don't do that.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Don't think it was late, really, but it definitely deserved a boarding call IMO.

Awkward twist by Pacioretty on the way down. Hope he's okay.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Clean hit. Interesting that no Hab on the ice started a fight or even a scuffle after that they just stood around after the whistle. Did no one else see the hit or what?

Not true, I was at the game and Gallagher engaged Stoner immediately, and Prust fought him next time they were on the ice together.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
MealyFarAlleycat.gif

How thick are the habs haters blinders exactly? Theres no way in hell Stoners hit was a "good strong hockey play with an unfortunate injury", and the puck was gone for a full steamboat before Stoner initiated contact. Can someone do a side-by-side with Burrows hit that got him 3 games for a late hit?

Do you really see those hits as being similar? Folin was facing the boards the entire time, and Tangradi came in and drilled him in the numbers. I can understand being upset, but that is not a good example of double standards. Tangradi's hit was much worse.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Not true, I was at the game and Gallagher engaged Stoner immediately, and Prust fought him next time they were on the ice together.

Ok, didn't see the confrontation in the replay but rewatching it I can see Gallagher at least sees the aftermath when he looks over his shoulder.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Every teams fans say that when it's your on player that gets hit admiring a pass. If this were opposite I doubt you'd even care about respecting fellows players. Take it how it is please.

I hate cheap hits like this. It's one thing to hit a guy speeding through the neutral zone with the puck and his head down. It's another to hit a guy for no reason except to crush him. Again I would be super pissed if someone hit me like that.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Clean hit.

Except it's not. It's clearly boarding. Maybe cross-checking. Unless by "clean" you mean "not suspension worthy".

Interesting that no Hab on the ice started a fight or even a scuffle after that they just stood around after the whistle. Did no one else see the hit or what?

Prust fought Stoner later in the game.

Play is going the other way and they were both pretty deep into the offensive zone by the time the hit happens. Gallagher sees it though. I remember Gallagher going up to Stoner and getting in his face with the linesman breaking it up (cause, really, what's Gallagher gonna do) but I can't find it in any replay so I dunno.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I hate cheap hits like this. It's one thing to hit a guy speeding through the neutral zone with the puck and his head down. It's another to hit a guy for no reason except to crush him. Again I would be super pissed if someone hit me like that.

Hits aren't just to separate players from the puck. Stoner had a reason to hit him.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Probably a boarding minor but definitely not a suspension

Didn't have much that Patches was admiring his pass and seems to have twisted his body to FACE the boards after he was hit.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see how anyone can say this wasn't boarding. It's not like he bumps him, he follows through the hit. Whether or not it's worthy of a suspension is a different topic but it deserves 5 and a game.

Koss

Hits aren't just to separate players from the puck. Stoner had a reason to hit him.

he had every good reason to bodycheck Patches into the boards. That would have been fine and the safer and legal way to hit. But he pushed with force into awkwardly the boards from a very dangerous distance. That's a penalty and should have been a suspension IMO.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ok, didn't see the confrontation in the replay but rewatching it I can see Gallagher at least sees the aftermath when he looks over his shoulder.

I was there live and honestly, if it wasn't for Gallagher crosschecking Stoner at the other end of the ice I wouldn't even have known anything happened. I didn't even see the hit, the puck was up the ice when it happened and nobody was paying attention behind the play. I think Gallagher is the only guy who saw anything.

Yeah he was taking advantage of the fact that Pacioretty didn't see him or expect to be hit. I know WHY he did it. I'm just saying most players would lay off in that situation. Cheap, not dirty.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Uh yeah they are. That's why interference penalties exists. What are hits for then ?

To wear down the opposing team. Maybe make them hear footsteps.

Note: I said they aren't just for separating players from the puck. Many hits take place after a player has distributed the puck. Those are legal, and even expected. Any decent coach will get on your ass if you don't finish your check just because the player passed the puck. By your logic, none of those hits are good, and they are all purposeless.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
he had every good reason to bodycheck Patches into the boards. That would have been fine and the safer and legal way to hit. But he pushed with force into awkwardly the boards from a very dangerous distance. That's a penalty and should have been a suspension IMO.

If there was no injury, do you think it should have been a suspension?

I don't.

It wasn't a good hit, but I think a minor penalty would have been fine. Stoner came in from the side, and maybe it was a tad late(arguable), but really it wasn't that bad. Call it a cross check, or call it a board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad