Clayton Stoner hits Pacioretty. Patches injured on the play.[MOD WARNING IN THE OP ]

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...fter-clayton-stoner-hit--video-063003472.html

The Montreal Canadiens could have used Max Pacioretty late in their game against the Anaheim Ducks. But as they scrambled to find a way to tie Thursday night’s game – which ended in a 2-1 win for the visiting Ducks – Pacioretty was getting evaluated after a brutal Clayton Stoner hit along the boards.

Pacioretty left the game at 4:04 of the third period. He passed the puck up ice and, frankly, admired the pass a bit. But Stoner delivered a hard check to his side, twisting the Montreal forward’s body around. Pacioretty face-planted into the glass. He was helped to the back and was eventually taken to the hospiral for precautionary tests.

Hope he's okay.

[MOD] dont bring past events into this thread , stay on topic [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pacioretty didn't help himself by watching his pass, but Stoner's hit was late. At minimum it should've been a boarding penalty.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Knowing Pacioretty, he probably got 2 concussions and a fractured skull from this hit but will be back in 1 week.

This being said, the hit was late and far from the board. There's no reason why it's not a penalty.

Don't think it deserves a suspension tho.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
But in all seriousness hope he's alright. Hate seeing that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Knowing Pacioretty, he probably got 2 concussions and a fractured skull from this hit but will be back in 1 week.

This being said, the hit was late and far from the board. There's no reason why it's not a penalty.

Don't think it deserves a suspension tho.

Agreed. I don't think it's suspension worthy but should have been a penalty.

buckridesagain*

Clean hit. Wasn't late, didn't hit him in the numbers, patches put himself in a bad position while admiring his pass. NHL actually got this one right.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As a Ducks fan I was a bit surprised Stoner wasn't penalized. To me that's a two minute boarding call at least, can't put a guy awkwardly into the wall like that. Hope Paccioretty is OK.

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
Non call was right decision, Pacioretty was just unlucky. Maybe 2 mins penalty if you want to penalize. Too bad he injured, but not worth of a thread.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
What stings even more is watching Tangradi get booted a few games back for a hit that wasn't even close to as dangerous as this, and this goes uncalled.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
It doesn't look like a hit from behind to me, looks like he hits him from the side and the impact makes Pacioretty turn towards the boards. A little late maybe and could have been a boarding penalty. I wish the thread title was more descriptive of the actual hit though, it sounds slightly sensational to me.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It was definitely late, and at an odd angle that makes it questionable. It should have, at the very least, been a two, probably a 5.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think "puts Max Pacioretty in the hospital" is a pretty egregious way of putting it. It was more the awkwardness that led to Pacioretty's hospital visit, not any real viciousness on the part of Stoner. It was a 2 minute penalty at the very least but not much more than that.

Hell it had a bit of three possible infractions mixed in - cross-checking, boarding, and interference. So I don't know how he escapes with nothing but hey. Not the first missed call ever and won't be the last.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
It doesn't look like a hit from behind to me, looks like he hits him from the side and the impact makes Pacioretty turn towards the boards. A little late maybe and could have been a boarding penalty. I wish the thread title was more descriptive of the actual hit though, it sounds slightly sensational to me.

Pacioretty left the game at 4:04 of the third period. He passed the puck up ice and, frankly, admired the pass a bit. But Stoner delivered a hard check to his side, twisting the Montreal forward’s body around. Pacioretty face-planted into the glass. He was helped to the back and was eventually taken to the hospiral for precautionary tests.

He went to the hospital. Not sensation, just facts.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Thread title is so misleading. If he went to the hospital for that, it's just for precautionary reasons. I thought I was gonna see him knocked out/put on a stretcher like the Chara hit (glad I didn't of course).

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Shouldn't have been standing there.

I like Pacioretty but that was an odd play to make.

I'd vote the non call was right and no supplemental discipline should be given.

buckridesagain*

How can people call that a late hit? He hits him after the puck is off his stick for barely a second.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
That was a borderline 2 min for boarding. Don't think it deserved a major, and no suspension either. Definitely an awkward hit.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 10h 10 hours ago

No hearing expected for Stoner. Sense is his hit on Pacioretty wasn't late and wasn't boarding.
Eric Stephens @icemancometh · 18m 18 minutes ago

Told by league source that there's no hearing scheduled for Ducks D Clayton Stoner for hit on Montreal's Max Pacioretty.

So, it's settled.

I agree, the hit does not look late at all - and it does not meet the criteria for boarding as the league clearly states if a player puts himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to the contact, it can't be boarding.

If Pacioretty decided not to admire his pass and look back like that to avoid a hit, maybe it wouldn't have happened.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I don't really see anything wrong with this hit, there are later hits then that a dozen times a game, initial contact was right on the side. The only problem is that Patches is near by the boards and for some odd reason not expecting to get hit. So I guess it might be a boarding call by the letter but if patches gets up no one has 1 single issue with the hit. People are just looking for reasons to call it dirty because he was injured.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Maybe deserved a 2 for boarding, but thats it. Definately not suspension worthy. League made the right call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->