Clayton Stoner hits Pacioretty. Patches injured on the play.[MOD WARNING IN THE OP ]

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
It wasn't late, and it's also obnoxious to say he was admiring his pass. He just didn't see the hit coming, and the result was an awkward and unfortunate "fall" into the boards. Just unlucky, I'd say. I hope he's back in the lineup soon!

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I just think Pacioretty thought that because he was so close to the boards and the Habs had a power play that Stoner wouldn't risk going out of position to hit him.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I just think Pacioretty thought that because he was so close to the boards and the Habs had a power play that Stoner wouldn't risk going out of position to hit him.

I think it was more of him looking at the puck longer than normal because it went by Gallagher and out of the zone. If the D was there he would have turned right after delivering it and been rubbed out into the boards.

He appears to be alright, and might play tomorrow so it's a non issue.

Analyzer*

Clean hit and Pacioretty turned his back.

Plays like this and where players turn last second should get the person who got hit fined for being an idiot.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
That should have been a major and a game for interference or boarding. I'm not sure that Pacioretty was even eligible to be hit at all...and Pacioretty did not return.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
That should have been a major and a game for interference or boarding. I'm not sure that Pacioretty was even eligible to be hit at all...and Pacioretty did not return.

Entirely eligible to be hit, not returning means nothing. It's a 2 min penalty at most. Glad so many MTL fans agree with it too, at least some reasonable posters here.

terex

Jan 2, 2010
Fairly neutral fan here.

The hit came after Patches let go of the puck. It was in a dangerous place on the ice. Patches didn't change his position before/during the hit. I don't think he saw it coming. Stoner shoves him head first into the boards, but he shoved him from the side rather than from behind/in the numbers.

Stoner was committed to the hit, and it doesn't seem to me like it was excessively late. This seems like an unfortunate hit in a bad spot on the ice. Probably should have been a 5 minute boarding major at worst, but I don't think there should be a suspension.

I love Patches, though, and I hope he is alright.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Pacioretty is to blame for making it dangerous. When i play hockey and i make a pass while being near the boards, i don't look at where my pass went first! :shakehead

No matter what, you can't hit someone from behind. If you have in fact played any type of competitive hockey at all you'd know this.

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Pacioretty did what you're not supposed to do. Not only did he watch the puck, he also let up physically. Relaxed on his skates for that minute moment.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/c-mon-ref-why-wasn-t-ducks-stoner-called-for-hit-from-behind-on-canadiens-pacioretty-1.163893

''After an internal review of Clayton Stoner’s hit on Max Pacioretty, the Player Safety Committee announced this morning that no subsequent action will be taken against the Ducks player. Even though there appeared to be no malice on the part of Stoner, it is my opinion that a formal hearing should have been convened based on the illegal cross-check which caused Pacioretty to launch face-first into the glass and resulted in injury. At the very least, Stoner should have been be fined for the careless act that warranted a cross-checking major and game misconduct in the game.''

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/c-mon-ref-why-wasn-t-ducks-stoner-called-for-hit-from-behind-on-canadiens-pacioretty-1.163893

''After an internal review of Clayton Stoner’s hit on Max Pacioretty, the Player Safety Committee announced this morning that no subsequent action will be taken against the Ducks player. Even though there appeared to be no malice on the part of Stoner, it is my opinion that a formal hearing should have been convened based on the illegal cross-check which caused Pacioretty to launch face-first into the glass and resulted in injury. At the very least, Stoner should have been be fined for the careless act that warranted a cross-checking major and game misconduct in the game.''

Interesting. Perhaps a fine just to enforce precedent of dangerous, unnecessary hits would have been sufficient. Either way, I'm not overly worried. Max is fine and Stoner is an irrelevant player.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
No matter what, you can't hit someone from behind. If you have in fact played any type of competitive hockey at all you'd know this.

He clearly saw the hit coming and turned his back. According to the rulebook it is not a hit frombehind if the player turns his back knowing he is going to be hit. The checking from behind rule has made players put themselves into terrible positions. Before the rule you would not put yourself into position to be hit like that. He has no one to blame but himself

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My main issue with the hit is that it was a crosscheck to the ribcage.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm surprised people think this was legal, it was a monster crosscheck, which is clearly illegal, and IMO that's absolutely boarding as well. Illegal, unnecessary hit that caused an injury, should have been ~2 games IMO.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
He clearly saw the hit coming and turned his back. According to the rulebook it is not a hit frombehind if the player turns his back knowing he is going to be hit. The checking from behind rule has made players put themselves into terrible positions. Before the rule you would not put yourself into position to be hit like that. He has no one to blame but himself

I know the kind of situation you're describing, but I just don't see it here.

When Max comes into the zone his left shoulder is towards Stoner, who is not yet in a position to deliver a hit.
He then curls towards the boards and looks to pass to the trailer, and as he does pass the puck he turns his shoulders even more at the last second so Stoner makes contact with his right shoulder.

People saying Pacioretty turned at the last second and that's what caused it to be a borderline hit aren't seeing what I'm seeing. Stoner is looking at his numbers on the way in, and as Pacioretty executes his pass he turns a bit more and that's the only reason it isn't directly from behind.

I agree that Max should be more intelligent/aware, and not put himself in this position, but it doesn't change the fact that this was, imo, an illegal hit worthy of a 2min penalty.

If a pedestrian has the right of way, crosses a street without looking, and gets hit by a car, they aren't at fault, but they still could have avoided the situation.
The person driving the car that hit them shouldn't be off the hook, same as Stoner shouldn't have been in this situation in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad