Clayton Stoner hits Pacioretty. Patches injured on the play.[MOD WARNING IN THE OP ]

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It was 100% boarding... It seems people here think that it needs to be from behind to be boarding or something.

Captain Mittens*

It was 100% boarding... It seems people here think that it needs to be from behind to be boarding or something.

I would be willing to say it was 110% boarding. Look at how Max Patch hit the boards, his head was the principle point of impact. That play is exactly what the NHL is trying to get rid of

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

It was a legal hit. Pacioretty wasn't paying attention on the ice when he needs to be, thus putting himself in a bad position. He didn't brace himself to get hit or acknowledge the hit was coming and simply stood there. Sucks he got injured but you need to be aware of your surroundings when on the ice.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He had his arms extended and stick horizontal, perfectly in the middle of Max's numbers when the impact with the boards happened though, so it's obviously a little more complex than simply how they were oriented when their shoulders made first contact. :yoda:

Of course it's more complex, but to say that he hit him from behind, or that Stoner was staring at his numbers, is just not true. When contact was made, it was on his shoulder. Sometimes hits can go bad. I don't think this was some perfect hit, but I don't think it was suspension worthy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been said already. Patches exposed himself by admiring his pass. In real time that hit wasn't even a full second after the pass. And to top it off Patches had his shoulder bit as the principal contact. It's shady that Stoner didn't keep driving into the boards but at worst this should've been two minutes.

That said he's one of my favorite forwards outside the Ducks so I hope he's okay.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would be willing to say it was 110% boarding. Look at how Max Patch hit the boards, his head was the principle point of impact. That play is exactly what the NHL is trying to get rid of

Apparently the NHL doesn't agree. This wasn't a hit from behind, and according to the NHL it wasn't even late.

And really? His head was the principal point of impact? You seem to be suggesting he was driven head first into the boards. Stoner made contact with his shoulder. That's the key point here. He didn't hit him in the numbers, and he didn't come in up high and drive his head into the glass.

Captain Mittens*

It was a legal hit. Pacioretty wasn't paying attention on the ice when he needs to be, thus putting himself in a bad position. He didn't brace himself to get hit or acknowledge the hit was coming and simply stood there. Sucks he got injured but you need to be aware of your surroundings when on the ice.

Apparently the NHL doesn't agree. This wasn't a hit from behind, and according to the NHL it wasn't even late.

And really? His head was the principal point of impact? Looks to me like his arms were, and if he hadn't spun it would have been his shoulder. You seem to be suggesting he was driven head first into the boards.

The onus is on the person giving the hit and not receiving it. The textbook definition of boarding is

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. .

Note: a check of shove of a defenseless opponent violently in to the boards

The other element in boarding is distance from the boards for the hit to be worse.

[nhl]188666[/nhl]

As far as the principal point of contact? Homer Hayward in the video in the OP confirms it and even mentions how his helmet went in to the boards and the worry of a concussion.

A ref of the NHL missing is a call has zero creedence on whether something is actually a penalty or not. The Wheel of Justice joke didn't come out of nowhere

post sojourn edit
Stoner made contact with his shoulder
Boarding has zero to do with the point of contact with the player delivering the hit. The spirit of the penalty is where the player is relation to the boards, is player being hit defenseless, and the degree of the hit

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Hit was fine. It wasn't boarding as he was hit shoulder to shoulder. And it wasn't interference. Not Stoners fault that Pacioretty was admiring his pass. If he hadn't been admiring, he wouldn't have been off balance and had the weight distribution of a rag doll. The term keeping your head on a swivel was never more relevant than on this play. Hit was fine. Patches learned a lesson.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Patches wasn't hit from behind. :dunno: He was facing the blue line at the time he was hit.

he shouldn't have followed through with a push motion. The follow through turned it from a good hit to a bad one.

Had Stoner eased up on the pushing once he saw Pacioretty's body turn towards the board as a result of the hit, instead of continuing with full force and extending his arms fully, this wouldn't have been as bad.

Normally when a player goes to check a guy who's as far away from Patches from the boards, they settle for a shoulder on shoulder hit because if you follow through with the cross check/push motion like Stoner did, they almost always result in a cross check/boarding penalty being called.

Both Stoner and Pacioretty are at fault here, one was caught looking the wrong way and the other was a little overzealous with his check.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The onus is on the person giving the hit and not receiving it. The textbook definition of boarding is

You also left out the part that says:

"However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered."

Pacioretty wasn't in a defenseless position. He wasn't turned towards the boards or anything like that. He simply wasn't paying attention.

Nynja*

It wasn't boarding as he was hit shoulder to shoulder.

misc-jackie-chan.svg

That has NOTHING to do with boarding, whatsoever!!! You can get penalized for boarding via a shoulder to shoulder hit!!

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Well, if I learned something from this thread. Its that the majority of people here never been a on a real hockey team. I knew that, but it show further than nobody played to decent level.

Its a textbook boarding.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think the problem here is most people seem to think that boarding is only when you're hit from behind.

If I hit you head on 5 feet from the boards and you go flying into them, it's boarding. Even if I hit you from the front.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The part that made it most dangerous was where it was on the ice, being 3 feet from the boards. I'm not upset about the hit, sucks that he got hurt. Just think a player should be able to recognize where another one is on the ice and choose not to hit a vulnerable player.

Part Pacioretty's fault, part Stoner's fault and the outcome was accidental imo. Just need more respect for players safety in the league, very few gentlemen left in the sport.

Oct 18, 2011
there is nothing late about the hit, not even a second elapses from the clock once pacrioretty makes the pass.

maybe a board, but pacrioretty was stupid to be admiring his pass like that instead of bracing for a hit

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You also left out the part that says:

"However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered."

Pacioretty wasn't in a defenseless position. He wasn't turned towards the boards or anything like that. He simply wasn't paying attention.

You should also pay attention to the bold part. The check was by no means unavoidable, nor did Stoner have to follow through with a cross check motion. Pacioretty's indeed wasn't paying attention but Stoner's decision to follow the shoulder hit with a cross check was dangerous and completely avoidable.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Almost 10 pages for a missed 2 min penalty. I wonder if this thread even existed if that hit didn't cause an injury to a player on a canadian team.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Hit was fine. It wasn't boarding as he was hit shoulder to shoulder. And it wasn't interference. Not Stoners fault that Pacioretty was admiring his pass. If he hadn't been admiring, he wouldn't have been off balance and had the weight distribution of a rag doll. The term keeping your head on a swivel was never more relevant than on this play. Hit was fine. Patches learned a lesson.

Is there a rule in the rulebook that says admiring your pass is illegal? Who cares what he was doing, he hit a player in a vulnerable position 3 feet from the boards sending his head into the boards, exactly the type of thing the league is trying to get rid of. To think otherwise is ridiculous or ignorant. I would suspend him a game for sure.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Note: a check of shove of a defenseless opponent violently in to the boards

The other element in boarding is distance from the boards for the hit to be worse.

[nhl]188666[/nhl]

As far as the principal point of contact? Homer Hayward in the video in the OP confirms it and even mentions how his helmet went in to the boards and the worry of a concussion.

A ref of the NHL missing is a call has zero creedence on whether something is actually a penalty or not. The Wheel of Justice joke didn't come out of nowhere

post sojourn edit

Boarding has zero to do with the point of contact with the player delivering the hit. The spirit of the penalty is where the player is relation to the boards, is player being hit defenseless, and the degree of the hit

Yes, I'm aware of what boarding is. What I was saying was that this isn't exactly the type of play the NHL is trying to get rid of. If it were they would be suspending him. Judging by the NHL's lack of discipline, they probably feel that this didn't deserve more than a 2 minute minor.

They don't want this type of play anymore than they want high sticks, or trips, or interference plays. Just because it's a penalty(assuming it would have been) doesn't mean the NHL is specifically against this type of hit. It just means they are against penalties in general.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Is there a rule in the rulebook that says admiring your pass is illegal? Who cares what he was doing, he hit a player in a vulnerable position 3 feet from the boards sending his head into the boards, exactly the type of thing the league is trying to get rid of. To think otherwise is ridiculous or ignorant. I would suspend him a game for sure.

Common sense. Not to mention it's putting yourself in a vulnerable position by not being ready to receive a check.

No, I'm not saying that excuses Stoner, but it does put some of the responsibility on Patches. Patches was eligible to be hit, and he needs to be aware of that fact. A player needs to be prepared to get hit after making a pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad