Clayton Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He was our best defenceman this season by a considerable margin. He made considerable progress and was one of the highest goal scoring D in the league.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He was our best defenceman this season by a considerable margin. He made considerable progress and was one of the highest goal scoring D in the league.

Forget where I saw it but I'm pretty sure Chychrun was among the league leaders in defensive breakups/stick checks per 60.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope JC the clairvoyant is right on any of the DVO/Chych/Keller/Schmaltz contracts. It looks like we over paid on all of them so far based on performance. I know there have been injuries, these guys are young, blame their line mates, blame RT, etc... But, that is all part of the total package and risk you take. I would have waited and done more bridge type deals. The bridge deal does 2 things, it keeps them motivated and you find out who deserves the money and who doesn't. Now I'm not an analytical guru like JC, so i can't accurately predict the future like he can, but thats the way I would have done it:)
I think they are all fine as of today. I expect all to take another jump next year. It's the crappy salary and cap hits of the vets that are doing us in. We have a year to upgrade our D and change the mix of the forwards. A savvy GM should be able to do that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No he is not, he has been injured constantly and a 2nd/third line D man. I like his progress but his injuries make that contract questionable so far.
Injuries played a part earlier in his career and last year he missed 7 games, so that is always a concern but he is definitely better than a third line D and that there is no argument. In fact, some were saying he was our best D for most part of the year, all at the age of 22, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't you say he was a 1D? Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tied for 11th, 60th in pts. A solid 2nd pairing.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another thing about Chychrun that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet is he is extremely dedicated. He gives a shit. He was a deer in the headlights in the playoffs - not totally unexpected from a young player - but I have no doubt he’ll use that as motivation to improve even further this offseason. We could use more players with the level of commitment of Jakob Chychrun. He also wanted to be and likes being a Coyote, a rare trait. As our leadership group changes over the next season or two he is IMO a very deserving candidate to get a letter.

Reactions: SniperHF

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tied for 11th, 60th in pts. A solid 2nd pairing.
60th in points would be barely second pairing, his D is borderline second pairing. Demers/OEL/Goose were all better in the D zone, and slightly better overall. Chych was second or third pairing for the year mostly because of his D play not being good enough. I like Chych as a player and think he will be better next year, but he's not a first pairing D yet, he is a 4D on most teams. My point was his contract isn't a bargain so far, especially given his injuries, all I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad