Clayton Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s a great player. So is OEL. If we’re going to be a decent team we need at least one but probably two players that are better than Keller and OEL. These two are the best we’ve got but neither are good enough to carry a team. Not even as a pair.

We don’t have that player in our system. Barrett Hayton is not that player. There are a few players at the very top of this draft that could be that. If we don’t win the lottery, we’re in trouble.

If we sneak into the playoffs, or fail to win a lottery, I think we HAVE to pull off a blockbuster trade for a top player like Jamie Benn or someone along those lines.

Keller and OEL are only All-Star caliber because every team gets one, no matter how lousy the team. Neither holds up, and neither really belongs. We need a truly All-Star caliber player that actually stands on his own as a Star under any circumstance.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Keller could be a true All Star player. Clearly he is not that upper echelon talent that can do it alone though.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
He’s a great player. So is OEL. If we’re going to be a decent team we need at least one but probably two players that are better than Keller and OEL. These two are the best we’ve got but neither are good enough to carry a team. Not even as a pair.

We don’t have that player in our system. Barrett Hayton is not that player. There are a few players at the very top of this draft that could be that. If we don’t win the lottery, we’re in trouble.

If we sneak into the playoffs, or fail to win a lottery, I think we HAVE to pull off a blockbuster trade for a top player like Jamie Benn or someone along those lines.

Keller and OEL are only All-Star caliber because every team gets one, no matter how lousy the team. Neither holds up, and neither really belongs. We need a truly All-Star caliber player that actually stands on his own as a Star under any circumstance.
I wouldn't write off Hayton, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he becomes a Kopitar or Toews level center. We would covet either of those players in their prime. If we get that out of Hayton, find our Kane/Gaborik and snag up a Doughty/Keith then we could win a cup. We have a hell of a team to support them currently and most of the main pieces are locked up.

Hayton reaches high end two way 1c.
We trade for a Hoffman level scorer or draft a Kane (Caufield?!) level player.
Trade or draft that #1/#2 on any team level RD.

This could be our roster in 2-3 years and I like it.

Crouse - Hayton - Caufield (PLZ!)
Keller - Schmaltz - Galchenyuk
Garland - Dvorak - Merkley/Fisher
Bunting - 4C - 4RW

OEL - RD
Chychrun - RD
3LD - 3RD

Spots could be filled by POJ, Capobianco, Dineen, Emberson, Crotty, Bahl, Busby, Stuwart, Callahan, Hoefenmayer, Westerlund, or Karow.

That's a younger roster with great potential. I'm still very optimistic of our future and think we would be in a wild card spot right now if we had not sustained some key injuries.

Reactions: ck26 and AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I like Schmaltz better than Keller. Keller in his first 30 games looked like a superstar in the making. Then teams got a book on him and he’s been very up and down (more down) ever since. He will figure it out. Season 3 looms large but this screams bridge deal.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Keller and OEL are only All-Star caliber because every team gets one, no matter how lousy the team.
Keller definitely (at least so far, let's not forget he's only 20) but OEL, c'mon now, let's not go overboard. He's still a top pairing D and those types are always in all-star consideration.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Sophomore slump. I think he'll return to rookie year form. The question for me is whether or not he's a 60pt winger or does he have another level he can get to.
Just thinking Marner took 3 years to really tear it up in the NHL and he is surrounded by far more talent than Keller is. I still think they are comparable, Keller on any other playoff team right now would be at least 10-15 point higher in my opinion.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
One thing Keller is doing great this year is drawing penalties. 8th in the league in minor penalties drawn. Last year he finished 34th with 25 drawn minors.
Nathan MacKinnon38
Johnny Gaudreau35
Aleksander Barkov32
Jeff Skinner31
Mark Scheifele30
Brad Marchand30
David Pastrnak29
Clayton Keller28
Mathew Barzal27
Connor McDavid26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's pretty good company.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
One thing Keller is doing great this year is drawing penalties. 8th in the league in minor penalties drawn. Last year he finished 34th with 25 drawn minors.
Nathan MacKinnon38
Johnny Gaudreau35
Aleksander Barkov32
Jeff Skinner31
Mark Scheifele30
Brad Marchand30
David Pastrnak29
Clayton Keller28
Mathew Barzal27
Connor McDavid26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's pretty good company.

That's good. Our PP needs lots of practice.

Reactions: Name Nameless

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

He's nowhere near a great player. He's a very good talent at this point. He has the ice vision and skating I really like. What he lacks right now is competitiveness. It's near the bottom if you group very good/superstar players and that concerns me. He's shys away far too much. He likes to play that beer league style hockey.

When I coached I looked for two things from a player. Talent and competitiveness. I hope Keller grows in that respect because he really does have world class skills.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Keller definitely (at least so far, let's not forget he's only 20) but OEL, c'mon now, let's not go overboard. He's still a top pairing D and those types are always in all-star consideration.
OEL would be a first pairing on almost every team. He's a world class talent. He is problematic at times in his own end but it's more of a reflection of the fact we are a bottom feeder team. He has a lot of pressure on him to do it himself. It's a lot easier to be a scorer on a lousy team.
OEL is WORLD CLASS.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I like Schmaltz better than Keller. Keller in his first 30 games looked like a superstar in the making. Then teams got a book on him and he’s been very up and down (more down) ever since. He will figure it out. Season 3 looms large but this screams bridge deal.
Keller will be a better player in this league then Schmaltz.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's nowhere near a great player. He's a very good talent at this point. He has the ice vision and skating I really like. What he lacks right now is competitiveness. It's near the bottom if you group very good/superstar players and that concerns me. He's shys away far too much. He likes to play that beer league style hockey.

When I coached I looked for two things from a player. Talent and competitiveness. I hope Keller grows in that respect because he really does have world class skills.
Haha. I didn’t mean Great like “One of the Greats” - I obviously don’t think his Lemieux or Messier. I meant he’s a legitimate first line forward. He’s the only one of those we’ve had in years.

Reactions: azcanuck

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Sophomore slump? I don't think so. It`s his roommate bad influence. Cause his roommate has great tools but loves cards more than hockey. So I`m shocked his roommate not traded at the deadline. I will be more shocked if his roommate will be not traded at the draft.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Sophomore slump? I don't think so. It`s his roommate bad influence. Cause his roommate has great tools but loves cards more than hockey. So I`m shocked his roommate not traded at the deadline. I will be more shocked if his roommate will be not traded at the draft.
Huh?

Is this a joke or a rumour or???

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller has been playing like crap, Fischer the second. Wish Doan was around to kick them both in the a--.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad