Clayton Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No, being able to get motivated for a week does not erase a couple seasons for me.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Kells is legit, always has been, our coaching is the problem

Meh.... a lot of it is on Keller. Tocchet was constantly on him about becoming more engaged and that’s what he finally did in the playoffs.

There’s plenty of room for criticizing Tocchet. This isn’t one of them.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No, being able to get motivated for a week does not erase a couple seasons for me.

Keller is staying in Arizona again this off season like he did during the pause. Maybe something clicked in his head finally. We’ll find out when the season starts up again.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's what folks have been telling me for 2 years. I just don't see a player who can lead or lift his linemates.

Exactly...
The guy just got out of diapers for god sake, If he pulls the same stunt next year then I'm with you guys, but if he puts up 65-75 pts. which he could be capable of, then is contract is fine. His contract STARTS this coming year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The guy just got out of diapers for god sake, If he pulls the same stunt next year then I'm with you guys, but if he puts up 65-75 pts. which he could be capable of, then is contract is fine. His contract STARTS this coming year.
Wonder what his contract would be if he was just signing it this year instead of jumping the gun? 22 seems like kinda old to be getting out of diapers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wonder what his contract would be if he was just signing it this year instead of jumping the gun? 22 seems like kinda old to be getting out of diapers.
I would think similar to Schmaltz, maybe a smidge higher, but it could also be a bridge deal. Like I said, let's wait until next year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would think similar to Schmaltz, maybe a smidge higher, but it could also be a bridge deal. Like I said, let's wait until next year.
No need to wait on his contract. The idea is to project the future and get value by signing someone long term. That number this year would have been at least a 1 million savings. Not sure how you would have even done $6 million??

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think the playoffs just made me question if I still like Schmaltz over Keller, which I still think I do but the gap is closing. That said, I still think we should trade one

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What's the feeling on Schmaltz in terms of what he needs to produce in order for his contract to feel "fair"? For me, it's 55 points.

Note that he was on pace for 53 points this season prior to COVID wiping out the remaining 12 games.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
What's the feeling on Schmaltz in terms of what he needs to produce in order for his contract to feel "fair"? For me, it's 55 points.

Note that he was on pace for 53 points this season prior to COVID wiping out the remaining 12 games.

I think 55 points is about fair.

I'd take 50 points and 3rd gear, but 55 points would be fair. Absolutely hate his effort and his floating.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

If he was shaping up to be a top 2 line C then I would be happier with the contract. As a winger he’s overpaid today. Is it A horrible overpayment? No. Just with a flat cap it’s a little clumsy for this season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Yep, that is about where I am at. Somewhere around 50-55 points.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

He could produce a damn, maybe play some defense beyond a flyby, and not bail on the puck to avoid contact. Then he'd probably be well worth his contract.
When he decides to take the puck inside, he's great offensively. Too bad it happens so rarely.

We have too many players of this ilk. Keller has turned into one. We traded for Kessel's corpse. If we had good center depth and some size, it'd be fine having one or two guys who are completely soft and one-dimensional. Instead, you have to try to hide Kessel, Keller, and Schmaltz 5v5. You can't shelter that many guys and win games.

Same reason I never wanted Eberle. If you only bring offense to the table, you need to bring it every night and put up more than fifty dispassionate points from the perimeter. I'd certainly rather spend $6M elsewhere in both those cases.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Chris Kontos says hello.

:thumbu:

upload_2020-9-4_20-13-7.png

Another marvelous example of "putting too much stock in playoff performances"...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I hope JC the clairvoyant is right on any of the DVO/Chych/Keller/Schmaltz contracts. It looks like we over paid on all of them so far based on performance. I know there have been injuries, these guys are young, blame their line mates, blame RT, etc... But, that is all part of the total package and risk you take. I would have waited and done more bridge type deals. The bridge deal does 2 things, it keeps them motivated and you find out who deserves the money and who doesn't. Now I'm not an analytical guru like JC, so i can't accurately predict the future like he can, but thats the way I would have done it:)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not only is Chychrun not overpaid, he's probably the best contract on the team outside of Garland and Kuemper. Crouse is solid too.

Reactions: _Del_

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not only is Chychrun not overpaid, he's probably the best contract on the team outside of Garland and Kuemper. Crouse is solid too.
No he is not, he has been injured constantly and a 2nd/third line D man. I like his progress but his injuries make that contract questionable so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad