Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien to return as Bruins coach for 2015-16 season

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Michel Bergeron on TVA Sports mentioned that the 2 months taken by Neely/Sweeney to confirm CJ in his job was a slap in the face.
CJ did not deserve that after what he's done for the Bruins....according to him.

I concur!

Just a homer looking out for his homie,Bergeron is an emotional man.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I am not objective? I beg to differ.

Coming from you, that really is funny.

You and your buddy since76 are the least objective posters here.

You claim Julien never changes. And his style leads to low shooting percentages. Yet since 2011, the Bruins have been15th, 5th, 25th, 5th and 25th in SP. Doesn't seem that Claude's coaching has had any effect on SP.

So bottom half, top 5, bottom half, top 5, and bottom half. And you don't think the oscillation from good to bad is part of the coaching strategy? As in the top 5 seasons they did that despite the strategy? Look at last season. They were top 5 in total shots, with just under 3,800 for the season but 23rd in goals for. Meaning they took a ton of useless shots that had zero chance of accomplishing anything.

In terms of the objectivity, I think you're confusing a strong opinion with a lack of it. If a player I like plays badly, I say it. If a player I dislike plays great, I say it. In this case, with the style of play change the Bruins want and the roster turnover coupled with Julinen's track record of not being great with change, I simply don't think he's the right guy for the job.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Michel Bergeron on TVA Sports mentioned that the 2 months taken by Neely/Sweeney to confirm CJ in his job was a slap in the face.
CJ did not deserve that after what he's done for the Bruins....according to him.

I concur!

I have absolutely no respect for Julien but Bergeron isn't wrong on that, but it's just the usual shady Jacobs way of doing business to make it look like they were "evaluating" and that there actually was a possibility of change to the eyes of gullible fans.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gasper in Tuesday's Globe is blunt

Apparently, a playoff-less season for the Bruins was not as “unacceptable†as CEO Charlie Jacobs led us to believe. All the Bruins did was swap their general manager for their assistant general manager in the end. It feels like what was really unacceptable was having to pay Julien the 2015-16 salary from his three-year extension to not coach. The Bruins looked around and realized all the other coaching jobs were snapped up and that there would be no compensation for Julien or off-setting of his contract. Suddenly, he was their man all along, even though they let him dangle for 53 days from his awkward end-of-season press conference with ex-GM Peter Chiarelli to new GM Don Sweeney confirming his return Friday. If you have to pay Julien either way, you might as well make him earn it as your re-educated coach/built-in excuse. So, congratulations, Claude, you just been hired for the job you already had.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...aude-julien/LP6gm7UYQGDojUTDULaDSM/story.html

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's not wrong. This entire fiasco has seemed like it was always about the money owed on his extension and not about the on ice product. It's laughable.

I disagree it's about the money but only because there's another equally viable reason, and I'm not sure which one had more weight.

For this team to change it's "style" they need a massive roster makeover. Claude Julien isn't going to be able to implement any system that enables defensemen like Seidenberg, Chara, McQuaid, Miller, Bartkowski to make slick outlet passes and/or break out on their own. And Claude Julien isn't going to be able to implement any system that enables Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Eriksson, Smith, Kelly, etc. to trade up-and-down chances with other skilled NHL teams. Every one of those guys, some of them top 5 on this team in talent, is an average or below average skater. It's not a group built to forecheck aggressively and certainly not a group that can take chances and make up for them with speed.

So end of the day, keeping Julien also makes sense given the strengths of the personnel. Until the GM changes the composition of this roster AND finds out if the coach can adapt himself, the best play is to try to win the way they always have, with a slow transition to a different system. Maybe not the answer people want to hear but it's just as viable as the financial reason. And of course it's not the simple, incendiary reason a sports writer is going to want to throw out to the masses.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
He's not wrong. This entire fiasco has seemed like it was always about the money owed on his extension and not about the on ice product. It's laughable.

When you look at it, the only change is Sweeney getting promoted. The roster won't change at all except for the irrelevant 4th liners. Another wasted year on the horizon.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When you look at it, the only change is Sweeney getting promoted. The roster won't change at all except for the irrelevant 4th liners. Another wasted year on the horizon.

Exactly. They talked about changing up the style of play, but with Julien still there, that's simply not going to happen. It'll be another year of wasted and delayed development for the young players, while we'll see the bottom 6 get rolled out too frequently and in the wrong situations.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I disagree it's about the money but only because there's another equally viable reason, and I'm not sure which one had more weight.

For this team to change it's "style" they need a massive roster makeover. Claude Julien isn't going to be able to implement any system that enables defensemen like Seidenberg, Chara, McQuaid, Miller, Bartkowski to make slick outlet passes and/or break out on their own. And Claude Julien isn't going to be able to implement any system that enables Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Eriksson, Smith, Kelly, etc. to trade up-and-down chances with other skilled NHL teams. Every one of those guys, some of them top 5 on this team in talent, is an average or below average skater. It's not a group built to forecheck aggressively and certainly not a group that can take chances and make up for them with speed.

So end of the day, keeping Julien also makes sense given the strengths of the personnel. Until the GM changes the composition of this roster AND finds out if the coach can adapt himself, the best play is to try to win the way they always have, with a slow transition to a different system. Maybe not the answer people want to hear but it's just as viable as the financial reason. And of course it's not the simple, incendiary reason a sports writer is going to want to throw out to the masses.

If it were just that, why let him dangle in the breeze for nearly 2 months? Seems to me that they could have come out far earlier and said he'd be back. Instead they played this game that effectively cuts him off at the knees and leaves them with a ready made scapegoat. The players all know the front office doesn't want him, so why do they do what he asks? They can wait it out until he's fired if they get off to a slow start. Look at last season. The effectively tuned him out then, and he'd just signed an extension. Imagine what they're going to be like knowing he's already on the hot seat? It's a huge mistake by the team to have handled it the way they did because it shows the players that Claude isn't really the choice the team wanted.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If it were just that, why let him dangle in the breeze for nearly 2 months? Seems to me that they could have come out far earlier and said he'd be back. Instead they played this game that effectively cuts him off at the knees and leaves them with a ready made scapegoat. The players all know the front office doesn't want him, so why do they do what he asks? They can wait it out until he's fired if they get off to a slow start. Look at last season. The effectively tuned him out then, and he'd just signed an extension. Imagine what they're going to be like knowing he's already on the hot seat? It's a huge mistake by the team to have handled it the way they did because it shows the players that Claude isn't really the choice the team wanted.

I was initially concerned about what it would do to his authority as well but in talking to some guys who follow the team and in thinking more about it, I'm not sure it's much of a concern. This team has strong leadership and always has, and he's a guy they've always played for. While I agree it's less than ideal, I also don't worry much about it. Think about it this way...if they brought in some new guy there's a good chance he never gets the traction Julien has in that room, so it's probably not much of a concern on balance.

As for why they let him dangle, I think it's a combination of reasons. Alternative coaching options, potential to change the roster to fit a different system, his loyalists on the team, his contract, the fear of what happens to this team (and specifically the defense) without a tight defensive system, etc. They're all reasons to think about it.

I'm not arguing the wait makes a lot of sense. I think it was too long and reflects poorly on management. I just think if people want to claim it was all a ruse and they are too cheap to move on and never intended to fire him, those are the folks who enjoy Dan Shaughnessy. If you hate professional organizations and want to think of them all as evil empires that hoard money, that's your choice. But smart businsessmen get to that position by considering all the factors, and I doubt a decision on the fate of the organization in the near future came down to one man's contract. It's kind of a silly suggestion...Gasper is better than that.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wondering what would need to happen for Clode to "have his horses" next season and how likely it's going to be that Sweeney can provide him that given our cap situation and not the greatest amount of trade assets. At what point is the roster good enough for Clode to not get a free pass on his coaching?

Seems like some of the same people who says 96 points, this team is not that bad, not that far off are the same people that don't think we should even be talking about Clode's coaching cause of the roster. Seeing a lot of very similar rosters for next season.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I think this shows what piss poor executives Charlie Jacobs & Cam Neely are.

After Jacobs ran his mouth in January about how failing to make the playoffs would be unacceptable this is his & Neely's way of turning things around?

They fire the GM. OK fine. Lord knows Chiarelli made his share of mistakes. But then they simply move Sweeney into Chiarelli's place after a cursory attempt [IMO] at finding a replacement.

Then the new GM lets the coach swing in the breeze for two months before deciding to keep him on. What were Jacobs & Neely doing while this was happening? Golfing? Evaluating? [Yeah I couldn't resist that one. So sue me :p:]

This is what passes for leadership of this franchise now?

Stay tuned. I can't wait for the draft & UFA season with this clown show :popcorn::sarcasm:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This front office has been absolute keystone cops since the day game 6 vs Chicago ended.

have to disagree Lou, Sweeney is not operating the way our society has become- I want something now and I'll be damned if its well thought out.

Last I looked the opening game is in October and I didnt realize they had to do everything in 5 minutes

I miss the days the third line RW opening consumed all this boards time

lets take a look at this in January and I believe you will be whistling a differnt tune

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think this shows what piss poor executives Charlie Jacobs & Cam Neely are.

After Jacobs ran his mouth in January about how failing to make the playoffs would be unacceptable this is his & Neely's way of turning things around?

They fire the GM. OK fine. Lord knows Chiarelli made his share of mistakes. But then they simply move Sweeney into Chiarelli's place after a cursory attempt [IMO] at finding a replacement.

Then the new GM lets the coach swing in the breeze for two months before deciding to keep him on. What were Jacobs & Neely doing while this was happening? Golfing? Evaluating? [Yeah I couldn't resist that one. So sue me :p:]

This is what passes for leadership of this franchise now?

Stay tuned. I can't wait for the draft & UFA season with this clown show :popcorn::sarcasm:

couldnt disagree more but we will see which one of us is correct over the next few months

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I am going to wait to see what moves they MAKE in the offseason to give CJ the players to run this new system. Lets see what they do and how that will effect CJ style.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Stayed out of this because I knew it would become ugly....:laugh:

I don't mind CJ staying...for now.

What I have never liked about his coaching is his desire to role 4 lines of equal ice time. Now I don't mind rolling 4 lines, the Hawks do it with success...but when a guy like Kelly is getting 15:08 of ice time and Bergeron is only getting 18:00 then for me that is a problem.

I'm pretty sure Bergeron is in good enough shape to handle over 20 minutes of ice time and still perform to the level he does.

That and the money the Bruins are paying the top players on this team I want them on the ice to earn the money they are making.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I am obviously in the love Claude camp but I think BP13 has about the best post on this. I have said many times this team isn't done and more importantly is miles and miles away from being changed in to the type of team a lot of people talk about. I am not really sure if Sweeney wants a huge change or small. From what I heard I think he is going to change it too much and if so Claude might not be the right guy. Someone that can watch us lose for like eight years would be the right guy. I will sit back as well and see what he does but my guess is he will move the wrong guys. Yes I would've kept Peter I know he made some big mistakes but those things can happen with success which adds money to every guys salary demands.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Stayed out of this because I knew it would become ugly....:laugh:

I don't mind CJ staying...for now.

What I have never liked about his coaching is his desire to role 4 lines of equal ice time. Now I don't mind rolling 4 lines, the Hawks do it with success...but when a guy like Kelly is getting 15:08 of ice time and Bergeron is only getting 18:00 then for me that is a problem.

I'm pretty sure Bergeron is in good enough shape to handle over 20 minutes of ice time and still perform to the level he does.

That and the money the Bruins are paying the top players on this team I want them on the ice to earn the money they are making.

The only thing I will say about this is that this team seems to look more tired in back to back and three in fours than most nhl teams. I have heard Peter say they are all in great shape so I don't really dispute that but to me four lines rolled is a must for this team .

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I am going to wait to see what moves they MAKE in the offseason to give CJ the players to run this new system. Lets see what they do and how that will effect CJ style.

I think the likely answer is in front of us.

I don't think we will see a radically different "system". I think you'll see some young faces on the 4th line, probably a new player or two in the top 9 with more speed/jam, one new top 4 dman (though they need 2). As for system changes, I bet we'll notice tweaks here and there, but nothing radical. With decent health they'll be good enough to make the playoffs, maybe a round, and the process will evolve over a few seasons.

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011

I concur!

Glad someone said it. Reeks of Philadelphia's treatment of Laviolette -- they said his system was flawed defensively, they said he had to change and subverted his authority, they spent his last offseason wringing their hands only to scapegoat him 3 games into the year. It's peculiar though, his system seems to suit Weber and Josi just fine.

Keeping Claude was without a doubt the right decision, but i'm worried it was done for the wrong reasons. He deserves better.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Gasper:laugh:....I been reading him for years and the one thing I've realized when he talks hockey he is clueless. I wanted Dineen but he's wrong here. More to it and that was not it.

Agree 1000% .. Gasper, stick to writing stories for your employer The Boston Red Sox. Stay out of Hockey you lazy hack.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Agree 1000% .. Gasper, stick to writing stories for your employer The Boston Red Sox. Stay out of Hockey you lazy hack.

I will third this motion. No confidence in Gasper to talk hockey intelligently.

I will wait and see what this team looks like in October and after the deadline before I freak out on them. Would like to see some change in the Top 6/9 as well as Bottom 3 and clearing of Cap space, along with the addition of a two-way D-man and the subtraction of Cassidy in PRO.

We are still not even to the draft...patience people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad