Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien to return as Bruins coach for 2015-16 season

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
http://https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/04/claude-julien-return-bruins-coach-for-season/cuCn8hJnGra0s6Aw0OQsBI/story.html

Bruins coach Claude Julien, his job in limbo for nearly two months following the abrupt season-end dismissal of general manager Peter Chiarelli, will be back behind the bench for the start of the 2015-16 season, according to two NHL sources.

It is also believed that Julien, 55, will be joined by his full cadre of assistant coaches, including Doug Jarvis, Doug Houda, Joe Sacco, and Bob Essensa.
Julien is beginning a new three-year contract he signed in November 2014 while Chiarelli was still in charge.

Rumors in recent weeks have pointed to a change at least among the assistant coaches. However, all are on target to return, though the length of their contract terms is unclear. It’s possible, according to one of the sources, that all four will have deals that expire at the end of the season.

Don Sweeney, named the club’s new GM on May 20, would neither confirm nor deny Julien’s return when contacted by the Globe. The club announced earlier this week that Sweeney will meet with the media Friday in Buffalo, where the NHL is conducting its combine, the annual testing regimen for players who will be eligible in the draft (June 26-27 in Sunrise, Fla).

It is likely that Sweeney will announce Julien’s return during that media availability.

Responding to an email from a Globe reporter, Sweeney said he “would be happy to answer any questions with regards to the coaching staff’’ at that time.

Club president Cam Neely, reached by phone, declined comment, noting that it was Sweeney’s role to comment on the coaching situation.

“I know everyone wants to be first on this story,’’ said Neely, “but anything on the coaches is for Don to announce.’’

Julien has been unavailable for comment since Chiarelli’s dismissal on April 15.

Julien, whose team failed to qualify for the playoffs this year, will be entering his ninth season as Bruins coach. He was hired by Chiarelli in the summer of 2007, following the disappointing one-year run of Dave Lewis (35-41-6), and until this year he had steered the Bruins into the playoffs each season, including the 2011 run that culminated in the club’s first Stanley Cup championship in 39 years.

The Bruins returned to the Stanley Cup Final in 2013, but were defeated by the Chicago Blackhawks in six games.

Sweeney noted during his introductory news conference that he and Julien would have to meet to discuss their individual philosophies on how they believe the game is played and coached. Sweeney’s tone was both respectful and telling, as he noted that the season was a disappointment and changes were to be expected.

With no change behind the bench, it would appear that Sweeney met with Julien and came away convinced that his coach is willing to take a riskier, more up-tempo approach to the game — one that more closely approximates the speed-and-attack tactics displayed by the Blackhawks, Lightning, Rangers, and Ducks in the recent Stanley Cup semifinals.

In contrast to those four teams, the Bruins were a plodding, oft-uninspired bunch this season, their legs heavy and their confidence particularly thin in the offensive end of the ice.

Julien, an ex-defenseman, has preached a controlled, defense-first approach since arriving on Causeway Street. And until this season it was effective. In his time here, Julien’s squads have gone 351-192-79, collecting 62.8 percent of 1,244 points available in those 622 games.

The Bruins in 2014-15 went 41-27-14 for 96 points, edged out of a playoff spot on the final weekend by the surging Senators, ultimately leading to Chiarelli’s dismissal.

It was not Julien’s worst season behind the bench. In 2009-10, the Bruins went 39-30-13 for 91 points, but it was enough to qualify for the playoffs, the Bruins bowing out in the second round and then returning the following season to win the Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
has Sweeney confirmed Ferguson is the assistant GM, Pandolfo the Providence GM?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
April 2016: After missing the playoffs, JJ allows the firing of the assistant coaches. Peter Horacheck, Guy Carbonneau and Dallas Eakins are hired.

July 2016: Lucic and Eriksson sign elsewhere. Jason Chimera and Shane Doan are signed.

April 2017: After missing the playoffs, JJ cleans house and fires Sweeney, Neely and Julien. PJ Axelsson is named GM and Ted Donato is named coach.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
as the President of the Don Sweeney Fan Club and campaigner what changes in staff or organization did he make?

did I miss something while waiting for Pablo Sandoval to make a play?

jdz

May 22, 2013
April 2016: After missing the playoffs, JJ allows the firing of the assistant coaches. Peter Horacheck, Guy Carbonneau and Dallas Eakins are hired.

July 2016: Lucic and Eriksson sign elsewhere. Jason Chimera and Shane Doan are signed.

April 2017: After missing the playoffs, JJ cleans house and fires Sweeney, Neely and Julien. PJ Axelsson is named GM and Ted Donato is named coach.

awesome positive outlook.

I for one, am pumped.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Am I the only one who got the impression that Clode is merely a lame duck? Looks like they couldn't come up with a unanimous replacement.

I am not unhappy that Clode gets another season, but if he's not wanted here, then they should have just let him go.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Well I'm pleased that this matter has finally been put to rest after three threads speculating on the outcome. Now, at least, we can zero in on the draft and player acquisitions.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Good. I think Claude sometimes need to be protected from himself.

I'd like to see what happens with a different GM in charge. It appears that Sweeney wants the team to play a certain way, different from what they've done in the past (especially this year), and Julien will have to comply.

catsmasher

Mar 8, 2012
What's next? Sweeney resigns Campbell and Paille? Or Kelly , Talbot , and another new "glue guy" to play the 4th line and 15 mins / night while spooner , koko , ferlin watch from the 9th floor most nights.

This team needed a full coaching staff change.

And Cam loses even more credibility by the day.

roll 4 folks !

:banghead:

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
They need to do some cleaning on the assistant coaching side. If the players can withstand injuries and Julien can make better line decisions this is still a 5-8 seed team. Rask can always get hot if they make the playoffs

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
You mean how long or which game do we see Pastrnak or Spooner on the bench while two 4th line players, masquerading as 3rd line players, are playing late in a game when the Bruins are up a goal or in a tied game ?

You mean the line that couldn't get out of their own zone if their lives depended on it? They were routinely pinned in. There's a reason they weren't out there when nursing a lead

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why does he need to? Give him something more than AHL and broken down vets and his system is more than proven.

Did I miss something where Claude assembled a roster with Kelly, Gagne, Campbell, Paille, Caron and Fraser?

“What I’ve heard is that Claude has been presented with a presentation that says: ‘We’ve got to be different. Look at the NHL’s final four: up-tempo, high pressure, the offensive players are really flying up the ice.’ It’s a great game. It’s fun to watch. It’s great, tough hockey. I think (Julien) has got to buy into that. They want a change.

This is the style that Sweeney wants to play, is that Julien's style?, if not then he has to change his style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad