Management Claude Julien III - the final countdown?(ALL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
A bit of a lull is coming up after Pitt, so I think if its going to happen this season (which at this point who knows) Mostly likely it would happen after Thurs. because after that they have 5 games in 16 days.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
and then he gives Spooner props.

Ryan Spooner centered the third line between Matt Beleskey and Riley Nash. Spooner assisted on Marchand’s power-play goal after digging for a loose puck in tight. “You look at that power-play goal, Spoons is right in front of the net,†Julien said. “On the power play, when’s the last time we saw Spoons in front of the net? That’s a guy wanting to do something to help the team.â€
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...TaRM/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos3

This is good to see.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Julien will likely go, but you need to line up a good coach. I find Sweeney has been a mixed bag so I think we need to look beyond 'ex Bruins' to find the best coach on the market for the Bruins style of play.

-Hartley
-Crawford (maybe?)
-Maybe have Kevin Dean babysit the kids until the team is competitive?

Agree with Sweeney being a mixed bag with the way he is going with the team.Pretty sure that is coming from above.I think there definetly going to need a coach who is good with the kids,because there is going to be a lot of them.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
and then he gives Spooner props.

Ryan Spooner centered the third line between Matt Beleskey and Riley Nash. Spooner assisted on Marchand’s power-play goal after digging for a loose puck in tight. “You look at that power-play goal, Spoons is right in front of the net,†Julien said. “On the power play, when’s the last time we saw Spoons in front of the net? That’s a guy wanting to do something to help the team.â€
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...TaRM/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos3

There goes Julien the Potato, throwing another kid/skilled player under the bus. When will he hold vets/3-zone-drones accountable like this? :D

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Funny ... it is Ok for management to call Julien out, but it is not OK for Julien to call out the actual players on the ice ???

I don't get it ....

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I want the players to be he held accountable, but, like, not in public.

This isn't even throwing him under the bus. It's a compliment.

itsablurr

Jan 3, 2017
Carlisle, MA
I see it as saying two things, perhaps one unintended...

First, that Spooner put forth an effort that yielded a result. A change from a previous effort or assertiveness level, emblematic of the greater state of the team, not just him as an individual.

Second, that Claude has recognized this previously, and thus does not have the sway or influencing factor to actually motivate his players to physically place themselves where they need to be... in front of the damn net. That this drive is left to the player's own determinations is an indictment of his methods or effectiveness as a coach and leading personality.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I see it as saying two things, perhaps one unintended...

First, that Spooner put forth an effort that yielded a result. A change from a previous effort or assertiveness level, emblematic of the greater state of the team, not just him as an individual.

Second, that Claude has recognized this previously, and thus does not have the sway or influencing factor to actually motivate his players to physically place themselves where they need to be... in front of the damn net. That this drive is left to the player's own determinations is an indictment of his methods or effectiveness as a coach and leading personality.

Exactly how I saw it, sarcasm of my previous post aside.

Wentworth9W

Dec 13, 2016
They're paid to execute and win on a game by game basis, whether with CJ or someone else. To say "meh, we're not going to make playoffs, so what's the sense in putting in a full 60, eh?" is unprofessional and should get a player yanked off the roster spot. I'd be pissed as a paying fan. Season strategy and allocation of effort are not their pay grade to address or decision to make.

I didn't really mean it as "They" the players, more or less looking at management level. I wish those management people would realize we are not going to make the playoffs, make moves at the TDL to secure things that will benefit the team next year and beyond. Rather than hold onto this false hope that we have a chance to make the playoffs and continue to be send away futures for rentals, and of course they continue to look at CJ like he is evil every time this sub-par team loses a game like he has much if anything to do with it.

We don't have the pieces to do any damage, so fix that and give us the right pieces next season. That is my thoughts on the issue basically.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Here we go again. People creating this concept of a "coach's market" based off of who they happen to know as a past NHL coach.

So small minded. There are hockey coaches at all different levels, all over the world, who want to coach in the NHL. There are ALWAYS good coaches out there. It is not logically possible to have a "coach shortage" for the highest level of hockey. It's all about the guys in charge identifying the right one after conducting a thorough search.

If Gerard Gallant had never made it to the NHL level, would any Bruins fan be suggesting we "snap him up" while there is a coach available. No, because they wouldn't know him. And because they didn't know him because he had not yet coached at the NHL level, would he not be at all qualified?

People need to stop living in fairyland when it comes to the whole coaching concept. It's a big hockey world out there and you are simply not knowledgeable enough or acknowledging reality enough as a fan to imply "no one is available".

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Here we go again. People creating this concept of a "coach's market" based off of who they happen to know as a past NHL coach.

So small minded. There are hockey coaches at all different levels, all over the world, who want to coach in the NHL. There are ALWAYS good coaches out there. It is not logically possible to have a "coach shortage" for the highest level of hockey. It's all about the guys in charge identifying the right one after conducting a thorough search.

If Gerard Gallant had never made it to the NHL level, would any Bruins fan be suggesting we "snap him up" while there is a coach available. No, because they wouldn't know him. And because they didn't know him because he had not yet coached at the NHL level, would he not be at all qualified?

People need to stop living in fairyland when it comes to the whole coaching concept. It's a big hockey world out there and you are simply not knowledgeable enough or acknowledging reality enough as a fan to imply "no one is available".

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

robinsonp16

Jan 12, 2017
Do you guys buy into the fact that professional sports s
positions like coach and GM so.etimes just have shelf lives. I keep hearing this argument that firing Julien would be a mistake because he's the winningest bruins coach and has won a Stanley cup so he's obviously a someone we need.

I see it from a lens of Julien having been here for 10 years now and sometimes teams just need a change of scenery. I think as good as clode has been, he's probably loosing people in the locker room. Once that happens then it doesn't really matter how good you are. If the players stop buying in then it's time to make a change.

My God look at Terry Franconia. The guy won two world series with the Red Sox but lost the locker room and created a rift with management and it was just best for both sides that everyone go their separate ways.

Juliens tenure doesn't have to be labeled as a failure for it to be time to move on.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Do you guys buy into the fact that professional sports s
positions like coach and GM so.etimes just have shelf lives. I keep hearing this argument that firing Julien would be a mistake because he's the winningest bruins coach and has won a Stanley cup so he's obviously a someone we need.

I see it from a lens of Julien having been here for 10 years now and sometimes teams just need a change of scenery. I think as good as clode has been, he's probably loosing people in the locker room. Once that happens then it doesn't really matter how good you are. If the players stop buying in then it's time to make a change.

My God look at Terry Franconia. The guy won two world series with the Red Sox but lost the locker room and created a rift with management and it was just best for both sides that everyone go their separate ways.

He said he was having trouble reaching some guys,but the big problem was with ownership sleights and an organization overly sensitive to ratings,hence the signings of Crawford and Gonzalez.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Elliotte Friedman January 24, 2017, 4:22 PM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-hanzal-talks-stall-canadiens-coyotes/

11. This is my read on Claude Julien and the Bruins: Julien is tired of being made a public scapegoat, which is why he took a shot at the roster last week. But he’s a pro. He feels he has a responsibility to the players and coaching staff, so he will push forward because that’s the right thing to do. But I’m sure part of him is saying, “Look, if you want to fire me, just do it already.â€

Why hasn’t it happened? A couple of things. First, GM Don Sweeney would rather make a trade and see how things play out. I'll always remember a conversation with him when he took over, Sweeney bristling at the suggestion he wouldn’t give Julien a fair shot. He didn’t like that assumption, and it stuck with me. Second, the Bruins know Julien is a good coach. He’s going to go somewhere else and make that team better. You can make the argument it’s time but fans forget that your guy can go elsewhere and improve another club.

12. I know Bruins fans are also screaming for a trade, but Sweeney strikes me as the kind of guy who knows you make your worst trades when your team is taking on water. People despise inactivity, but in a salary-cap world, panic mistakes bleed you dry. He was on the scouting list for Anaheim/Minnesota last Saturday, but did not attend.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Agreed. While I think they will keep Claude until EOS out of respect, these other "no name" coaches that never played pro turned out pretty well : Scott Bowman, Pat Burns, Mike Babcock.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Agreed. While I think they will keep Claude until EOS out of respect, these other "no name" coaches that never played pro turned out pretty well : Scott Bowman, Pat Burns, Mike Babcock.

I believe that they are waiting until end of season also. For the respect reason you mention as well as perhaps who they may want may be currently in season employed somewhere?

Just a thought.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I believe that they are waiting until end of season also. For the respect reason you mention as well as perhaps who they may want may be currently in season employed somewhere?

Just a thought.

And perhaps at the same time they are giving Claude the opportunity to make the playoffs and save his job.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
claude is not the problem. The problem is Sweeney and Neely. Neely to emotionally involved and doesn't think thru decisions. Sweeney was an average defensemen all his life but played for a long time, doesn't have the qualities to identify talent and who should be on the roster in the new NHL . poor decisions, i.e Riley Nash, Backes 5 years term too much. the game is too fast for him. Extending K. Miller and keeping Mcquaid, the game is too fast for these guys. Not finding a back up goaltender, could have had Mike Condon for next to nothing.Remember folks Peter Chiarelli made the playoffs every year he was G.M. of the Bruins.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
claude is not the problem. The problem is Sweeney and Neely. Neely to emotionally involved and doesn't think thru decisions. Sweeney was an average defensemen all his life but played for a long time, doesn't have the qualities to identify talent and who should be on the roster in the new NHL . poor decisions, i.e Riley Nash, Backes 5 years term too much. the game is too fast for him. Extending K. Miller and keeping Mcquaid, the game is too fast for these guys. Not finding a back up goaltender, could have had Mike Condon for next to nothing.Remember folks Peter Chiarelli made the playoffs every year he was G.M. of the Bruins.

Actually he didn't. Missed in both 2007 and 2015. But don't let facts get in the way of your tired narrative.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

How do you know that? This team hasn't made any moves in some time and Neely has had issues with Clode's style for years - yet he's still here.

Neely is clearly a problem and I have no issue with them firing him - but people reference things behind the scenes with no information.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
And perhaps at the same time they are giving Claude the opportunity to make the playoffs and save his job.

I'll preface this by saying for the millionth time that I really like Claude and always have. I've defended him to the frustration of many a poster here, as I'm sure you all know.

But I just don't follow any logic that says the Bruins owe him a chance to keep his job out of respect. If that's remotely true then it underscores how incredibly disorganized they have been in their "plan". This offseason when they were desperate for defense they signed David Backes up front and did nothing else. Despite the fact he wasn't and continues to not be what they needed, he's at least a signing that tells you they are trying to compete now. If we draw that conclusion, then why aren't they doing anything to improve the team now? And if firing the coach could give you a jolt in your push for the playoffs, you're gonna hold off on that out of "respect"?

All of the moves and non-moves this leadership group makes lead one to conclude they are absolutely clueless as to how to proceed. They sign guys (the wrong ones mind you) in an effort to win now (and don't), then they stand pat all season and hold onto a coach who's very fireable at this point. All the while they hold onto a veritable bounty of prospects and picks whom they'll never have enough spots for. It's like instead of trying to win now and later, they're doing their best to lose now and later.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I'll preface this by saying for the millionth time that I really like Claude and always have. I've defended him to the frustration of many a poster here, as I'm sure you all know.

But I just don't follow any logic that says the Bruins owe him a chance to keep his job out of respect. If that's remotely true then it underscores how incredibly disorganized they have been in their "plan". This offseason when they were desperate for defense they signed David Backes up front and did nothing else. Despite the fact he wasn't and continues to not be what they needed, he's at least a signing that tells you they are trying to compete now. If we draw that conclusion, then why aren't they doing anything to improve the team now? And if firing the coach could give you a jolt in your push for the playoffs, you're gonna hold off on that out of "respect"?

I agree. I, too, think that Claude is a good coach and likely the best coach for the team. However, to keep him behind the bench out of some sort of "respect" doesn't make sense to me, either. If moving him now is what they think will improve the team (I don't think it will) then they should do it.

I don't think it's out of respect, though. I think it's out of necessity. Someone mentioned this was the final year of his contract? If so, then if they miss the playoffs he's gone. Someone else suggested that any replacement coach the team would care to approach is probably still employed and unlikely to resign mid-season for the job. I think this is also true.

I think they stand pat because of those two likely reason, plus the fact that deep down they know the team is flawed but regardless they (Neely) want a coaching change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad