Management Claude Julien III - the final countdown?(ALL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We have no idea what the team or Claude know. I agree that it should be addressed but it's far more important for the players and management to know what's going on.

I also agree you may not be bringing in a better coach but a change will do this roster good I think

The team was very aware of the rumors swirling around Detroit.

I agree they either pull the trigger now or announce Claude is coach for the rest of the season.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The team was very aware of the rumors swirling around Detroit.

I agree they either pull the trigger now or announce Claude is coach for the rest of the season.

Agreed. At Some point you have to ask if a coaching change is made mid season will the new coach even have time to implement a new system and see results.

If a change is made I want a real change. Bring in someone with a new style, new game plan new anything, everything I don't care really.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
And after Sweeney and neely are replaced, odds are the new guy(s) want their own coach anyway. Claude will not survive the dismissal of his superiors

I think regardless what happens in the immediate future, Claude/Cam will be long gone before Jacobs considers dumping Sweeney.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Kate these are the same people who after their ad agency struck gold in 2009 with the Bear commercials, they fired them for another.

http://us.mullenlowe.com/tag/boston-bruins/

Yes, I know that. It reinforces how bad this organization is in this area.

Although, if I recall correctly, there was some backlash in certain pockets as the ads got more "risqué" (I put that in quotes because I thought they were all hilarious). It's a fine line.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think regardless what happens in the immediate future, Claude/Cam will be long gone before Jacobs considers dumping Sweeney.

For some reason I agree with this. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I see it the same way.

There's really no good reason to think Sweeney would survive Neely, his boss, but to me he's earned at least another year, whereas Neely should never have gotten the job. We'll see if it plays out that way.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
For some reason I agree with this. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I see it the same way.

There's really no good reason to think Sweeney would survive Neely, his boss, but to me he's earned at least another year, whereas Neely should never have gotten the job. We'll see if it plays out that way.

I doubt they would be able to hire a new president and mandate that they cannot fire Sweeney. I think they make Sweeney the president/GM.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I doubt they would be able to hire a new president and mandate that they cannot fire Sweeney. I think they make Sweeney the president/GM.

That's the ultimate in not learning from your mistakes, and a terrible idea. Sorry, Lou. :laugh:

Let Sweeney be GM. Bring someone in as a President with experience and skill to do the job. You can't mandate Sweeney stay on, but hopefully he would be given a fair shake. Sure, ultimately, a new President may want to bring in their own guy, but all you can ask is for him to get a shot.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes, I know that. It reinforces how bad this organization is in this area.

Although, if I recall correctly, there was some backlash in certain pockets as the ads got more "risqué" (I put that in quotes because I thought they were all hilarious). It's a fine line.

No the offending commercial you mention with the Bear about to kiss an ice girl was done by the new agency and the the rest of 'Bear and the Gang' never aired.

The Bear was created by Mullen Lowe and they lost the contract to Arnold Worldwide

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
No the offending commercial you mention with the Bear about to kiss an ice girl was done by the new agency and the the rest of 'Bear and the Gang' never aired.

The Bear was created by Mullen Lowe and they lost the contract to Arnold Worldwide

I was referring to the old people in Tampa and mustaches on women in Philly during 2011. There was definitely some backlash on that. I don't even remember the kissing the ice girl spot...

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
A major confluence of issues and problems

- a front office that isn't aligned on strategy and priorities

-an administration that has zero feel for PR

-an operating team with equally zero feel or interest in fan relations

- a boring and losing on-ice product

Results in an organization with a bunker mentality with both wings ( on ice and off ice) in paralysis and wondering how it all went so long

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Can anyone think of someone who would be a GOOD president of hockey ops? And I don't mean merely better than Neely. What type of person is good at that sort of role?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was referring to the old people in Tampa and mustaches on women in Philly during 2011. There was definitely some backlash on that. I don't even remember the kissing the ice girl spot...

Papa Jacobs saw it on NESN and went ballistic.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
As a PR person, this situation is just maddening.

I can't imagine the uncertainty the players/coaching staff feel. This can't be healthy or beneficial for the team.

I keep reading such thoughts, but I fail to see the relation between PR and internal discussions.

What they're not telling us, may be totally different than what they are telling the team and coaches.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I keep reading such thoughts, but I fail to see the relation between PR and internal discussions.

What they're not telling us, may be totally different than what they are telling the team and coaches.

Because it's a distraction.

Bergeron was asked about it pre-game on Wednesday. You bet they are being asked about it during any media availability. They're on social media, they read papers. It's a distraction that any team, never mind a team that's struggling, needs.

And, its just a ****** way to run an organization.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That's the ultimate in not learning from your mistakes, and a terrible idea. Sorry, Lou. :laugh:

Let Sweeney be GM. Bring someone in as a President with experience and skill to do the job. You can't mandate Sweeney stay on, but hopefully he would be given a fair shake. Sure, ultimately, a new President may want to bring in their own guy, but all you can ask is for him to get a shot.

I want my GM making all the decisions. If you want the a different person to be the president then make him a figure head and butt out on hockey personnel. I have faith in Sweeney and I like his vision. He certainly wouldn't be quick to sign/trade for the bigger slower forwards we have seen IMO.

I just can't help but go back to the Behind the B with that table full of dopes talking about Seguin. Let Sweeney advise with whomever, but let him call all the shots.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Just got this tweet via B/R

'Boston to publicly address coaching situation tomorrow regardless of outcome today'

To me that says 'he'll stay"

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I want my GM making all the decisions. If you want the a different person to be the president then make him a figure head and butt out on hockey personnel. I have faith in Sweeney and I like his vision. He certainly wouldn't be quick to sign/trade for the bigger slower forwards we have seen IMO.

I just can't help but go back to the Behind the B with that table full of dopes talking about Seguin. Let Sweeney advise with whomever, but let him call all the shots.

I'd rather have Sweeney report to someone that has a deep understanding of the job and the sport. If Sweeney is GM/President, he reports directly to Charlie? No thanks.

I'd want a President that plays that middle man role -- can talk the business side with ownership, and the hockey side with the GM. Preferably, someone with experience in both. Let the GM focus on the hockey team without having to play nice with ownership.

Sweeney is good in my book, for now at least. I want him to have the opportunity to show what he can do.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
As a PR person, this situation is just maddening.

I can't imagine the uncertainty the players/coaching staff feel. This can't be healthy or beneficial for the team.

My concern is that you'd have your hands tied.....

Management: Welcome Bad Hat Harry. We're excited to have you on board.

BHH: Great. What are we trying to do? How can we help you?

Management: Win now. Oh yes, and rebuild too. Sell more hot dogs. Be fast and uptempo and exciting for our younger fans -- play a bunch of young guys. We also don't want to move away from our traditional lunch pail, blue color dump and chase, hit and fight that our fan base loves. Need to rely on our veteran's too. Did I mention the hot dogs?

BHH: Wow, that's a number of different objectives. Some seem to be a touch in conflict with others. Are there any priorities -- some that are must haves?

Management: No -- we're going to do all of them simultaneously and right now. We also have more ideas if you want to hear them.

BHH: err..... no thanks, I'm good. I have to step out to take a call, but you wait right here. I'll be right back -- promise.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad