Management Claude Julien III - the final countdown?(ALL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I don't think the players can play better imo. Julien has made the mule look like a race horse. It can hang with the lead pack, but at the end of the line, it isn't going to win.
Roster improvement comes from SweeNeely, not Julien.
Julien's system magic has covered fundamental roster flaws for a long while now, but age and depth are revealing the truth.
This is ALL on Neely and Sweeney imo.

Couldn't agree more.

This should be a sticky.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't think the players can play better imo. Julien has made the mule look like a race horse. It can hang with the lead pack, but at the end of the line, it isn't going to win.
Roster improvement comes from SweeNeely, not Julien.
Julien's system magic has covered fundamental roster flaws for a while not, but age and depth are revealing the truth.
This is ALL on Neely and Sweeney imo.

Some can. Pasta can score more than zero goal in 15. Bergy play is back up but was down much of the first half. Krejci is sometime MIA even if it's been better the past 20 games. Spooner. Krug. Rask last game. Etc.

Many can individually play better. Would have had a couple more wins if it was the case.

But I agree that the roster could be better and that falls on Sweeney/Neely for doing nothing but bad things since last year deadline roster wise.

Wasting picks on Liles+Stempniak.
Not getting anything for Loui.
Extending K.Miller for 4 years. (the worst of all for me...)
Not getting help on D.
Not getting any top-6 winger meaning Schaller/Nash of the world are getting top-6 ES icetime.
No back-up G. Only ONE win since the start of the season from a backup and it was a Mickey Mouse shoutout win! Not even a real win!

The blame goes everywhere. Claude has some too. But to me, he's 3rd in line...

1. Sweeney/Neely/Management
2. Players
3. Claude

Maybe a change is needed behind the bench. So is an upgrade over many players that Sweeney decided to sign/extend/keep. Coma Don need to Wake up and do something. And I'm not talking about firing Claude here...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Kate, why bother to hire a PR firm to make moves that will not have any real impact and be seen for what they are by the media and fans...

PR moves.

I didn't get a chance to respond to this yesterday, GloryDaze, but wanted to make sure to touch on it.

I'm not looking for a PR firm to "make moves". My comment about trades being hard to make was in jest, but really, they aren't easy or guaranteed.

It IS easy to hire a PR firm to help you with your media and fan relations strategy. This mess has been swirling for some time and has really bubbled up over the last few days. If it's not addressed or acknowledged today, it's hanging -- heavily -- over two hockey games. Even if management truly hasn't made a decision about how to handle Claude yet, a good PR firm would be able to help them mitigate that instead of radio silence, which is basically making the team a laughingstock. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, or avoiding a call from a bill collector because you can't pay and don't know how to handle it.

The Bruins have a reputation of being a franchise that absolutely sucks with fan relations, media strategy, and public relations. It's lazy, and it's head scratching to me. There are people out there that excel at something you're bad at -- why not use them as a resource and fix that?

Yes, what's important is the product on the ice, and anything else is putting lipstick on a pig. Most true hockey fans will see through any PR work as "spin", but to me, the radio silence in this situation is mind boggling. They need someone to guide them through these kinds of situations, because avoiding is generating more bad press and bad will than anything else. Season ticket holders are cranky. They're starting to get roasted in the media. You can't "fix" that with PR and fan relations, but you can improve it.

It's typical Bruins to me, and makes me feel like the "**** don't stink" heir of superiority actually wasn't Chiarelli, but is something plaguing the entire organization. Chicago is arguably the model franchise right now, and their fan relations are head and shoulders above what the Bruins do. Non-model franchises have fan relations that are head and shoulders above what the Bruins do. Every arena I've been to, every team I've looked at tickets for, takes better care of their fans than the Bruins do.

There's just no excuse to be THIS BAD at something that is so easy to not be bad at, and it's frustrating.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Boston is already a joke in the media with the trades and drafting,they know Julien was on thin ice in 2011... same year Julien got us a cup in 39 years.

The media know Boston is a very volatile/emotional franchise that makes emotional decisions.
We all know those are the worst decisions one could make. The president himself is nothing but emotional.

Future looks promising if what we look for is watching it all crumble.

Can you relay what media reports you are referring to with your comments of the Bruins being a joke and making emotional decisions? Not entirely sure what crumble in the future you envision. Seems to be in stark contrast to what many industry people see as the future for the Bruins.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I really believe Claude when he says that he doesn't concern himself too much with all the chatter. He knows he will get re-hired as soon as he wants, and he just might land in a much better spot.

Even though he might have worn out his time in Boston, coaches like him aren't available very often.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Let's just give Julien a lifetime contract since he is the greatest coach in the history of hockey.

Yeah really eh.Lets not forget he was a goal post away from getting fired the year they won the cup.Bruins were a dam good team the year they won, 3 lines that could score a good forth line,very good defence great goaltending.Some people make it sound like the only reason they won was because of Julian's great coaching.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Claude is an excellent coach, but he can't get all the credit when they win and no criticism when they DNQ for the playoffs 3 straight seasons.

Sometimes it's just time for a change and if this team is really going to go young and play a different style - maybe another coach is better suited going forward.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
To me it's pretty simple. His system is strangling a team that isn't talented enough anymore to score goals and play hard within his defense-first system.

If he's sent packing I'm scared to see what the new coaches can do with this mess of a roster. If they loosen up they leave Tuukka out to dry even worse than they have.

Can they play a full 60 minutes?? Not all year. And the home record? And why all the excuses about not being prepared? I think a lot lies on Sacco and Cassidy. Without Claudes system this roster's flaws are more exposed.

I guess I'm talking in circles but not sure what a head coach change is going to do.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Then you move the players. You don't want these types anyway.

It's easy to say that now, but the guys you're talking about were the core and team leaders from their cup win and finals appearance against Chicago. If they were good enough to be that at one time, maybe it's a question of the team collectively needing to hear a new voice behind the bench. You can't dump guys for nothing and devalue the asset just because you want to, even if this is something a reactionary club president has done. That's foolhardy. The reason they fire the coach first is because it's easier than trying to move the entire roster.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I didn't get a chance to respond to this yesterday, GloryDaze, but wanted to make sure to touch on it.

I'm not looking for a PR firm to "make moves". My comment about trades being hard to make was in jest, but really, they aren't easy or guaranteed.

It IS easy to hire a PR firm to help you with your media and fan relations strategy. This mess has been swirling for some time and has really bubbled up over the last few days. If it's not addressed or acknowledged today, it's hanging -- heavily -- over two hockey games. Even if management truly hasn't made a decision about how to handle Claude yet, a good PR firm would be able to help them mitigate that instead of radio silence, which is basically making the team a laughingstock. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, or avoiding a call from a bill collector because you can't pay and don't know how to handle it.

The Bruins have a reputation of being a franchise that absolutely sucks with fan relations, media strategy, and public relations. It's lazy, and it's head scratching to me. There are people out there that excel at something you're bad at -- why not use them as a resource and fix that?

Yes, what's important is the product on the ice, and anything else is putting lipstick on a pig. Most true hockey fans will see through any PR work as "spin", but to me, the radio silence in this situation is mind boggling. They need someone to guide them through these kinds of situations, because avoiding is generating more bad press and bad will than anything else. Season ticket holders are cranky. They're starting to get roasted in the media. You can't "fix" that with PR and fan relations, but you can improve it.

It's typical Bruins to me, and makes me feel like the "**** don't stink" heir of superiority actually wasn't Chiarelli, but is something plaguing the entire organization. Chicago is arguably the model franchise right now, and their fan relations are head and shoulders above what the Bruins do. Non-model franchises have fan relations that are head and shoulders above what the Bruins do. Every arena I've been to, every team I've looked at tickets for, takes better care of their fans than the Bruins do.

There's just no excuse to be THIS BAD at something that is so easy to not be bad at, and it's frustrating.

Could not agree more. It should not be difficult for a fan of the team to understand the direction of the team. However, the muddled mess that comes from ownership and upper management is beyond comprehension.

My only concern regarding what you lay out is that a PR firm can only help an organization clearly communicate what it feels it wants to convey clearly to the general public and it's customer base. My fear is that a decent firm would come in, assess what ownership/management is trying to do and conclude that there is no way to effectively communicate a sensible strategy/direction because none exists.

In my opinion it is time for someone to come into the position of President (sorry Cam -- I think you are a great human being and were an awesome hockey player) and give Harry and Jeremy the hard facts:

Harry -- the game passed you by years ago. Time to be a fan -- nothing more.

Jeremy -- you don't understand what it takes to succeed in this League. Sit back, write the checks, and we'll deliver the results -- and make you money. If not, then fire us. Until then, please keep quiet and keep Charlie away from the hockey operations and ANY (for the love of God, ANY) speaking situations.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
I am this was as well but for the reason that I don't think it wouldn't make any difference. The lack of talent on the team is the issue.

I agree. This team on paper is not that good so if you're going to fire him it better be because they have someone they really like going forward. Other then that what's the sense. This team is what it is .

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
That appears to be how some feel, and if he is to be replaced,
it must be by a coach that is known to be better, so only the great Scotty Bowmab can replace him.

Clode has god status on here for so many people.

If he is God he should be able to win with any lineup you would think.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Could not agree more. It should not be difficult for a fan of the team to understand the direction of the team. However, the muddled mess that comes from ownership and upper management is beyond comprehension.

My only concern regarding what you lay out is that a PR firm can only help an organization clearly communicate what it feels it wants to convey clearly to the general public and it's customer base. My fear is that a decent firm would come in, assess what ownership/management is trying to do and conclude that there is no way to effectively communicate a sensible strategy/direction because none exists.

In my opinion it is time for someone to come into the position of President (sorry Cam -- I think you are a great human being and were an awesome hockey player) and give Harry and Jeremy the hard facts:

Harry -- the game passed you by years ago. Time to be a fan -- nothing more.

Jeremy -- you don't understand what it takes to succeed in this League. Sit back, write the checks, and we'll deliver the results -- and make you money. If not, then fire us. Until then, please keep quiet and keep Charlie away from the hockey operations and ANY (for the love of God, ANY) speaking situations.

And that ties in nicely to the issues with those at the top. If there isn't a sensible strategy/direction in place, then Charlie and JJ need to get someone in there that can develop and implement one. Rename Cam Chief Handshaker/Baby Kisser/Sponsor Suck Up. He, and his brand, have a ton of value to this franchise, but he's not in the right role and isn't being given an opportunity to succeed. Not convinced that's his fault, to me, that's on The Jacobs.

I look at it the same way as how you don't (or shouldn't) blame a player for taking a contract that's too rich for their level of production.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
That appears to be how some feel, and if he is to be replaced,
it must be by a coach that is known to be better, so only the great Scotty Bowmab can replace him.

Clode has god status on here for so many people.

He's a top 5 coach in the NHL.

You can want him gone and have a lot of good reasons, but understand that to the hockey world this is close to seeing Babcock or Quenneville fired. We always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and lose sight of what we have, but that's what we have. You might hold one or both of those guys higher, but they're all in the upper stratosphere of coaches. So if he gets fired everyone will be anxious to see whom the franchise felt was a better option.

I don't think you need to find a de facto "better" or bigger name coach because not many are out there, if any. You just have to find a better guy for this team. But if we replace him with Sweeney or Neely, we are going to look like a complete joke. And we would be.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
He's a top 5 coach in the NHL.

You can want him gone and have a lot of good reasons, but understand that to the hockey world this is close to seeing Babcock or Quenneville fired. We always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and lose sight of what we have, but that's what we have. You might hold one or both of those guys higher, but they're all in the upper stratosphere of coaches. So if he gets fired everyone will be anxious to see whom the franchise felt was a better option.

I don't think you need to find a de facto "better" or bigger name coach because not many are out there, if any. You just have to find a better guy for this team. But if we replace him with Sweeney or Neely, we are going to look like a complete joke. And we would be.

Exactly. If he's fired, it's not to find a better coach, because not many of those exist. It's to start the wheels of change, to try a different formula. I'm under no illusions that a coaching change puts this team into the playoffs or drastically improves their record. The team still is what it is -- mediocre.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
And that ties in nicely to the issues with those at the top. If there isn't a sensible strategy/direction in place, then Charlie and JJ need to get someone in there that can develop and implement one. Rename Cam Chief Handshaker/Baby Kisser/Sponsor Suck Up. He, and his brand, have a ton of value to this franchise, but he's not in the right role and isn't being given an opportunity to succeed. Not convinced that's his fault, to me, that's on The Jacobs.

I look at it the same way as how you don't (or shouldn't) blame a player for taking a contract that's too rich for their level of production.

Kate, you and I are on exactly the same page.... Hell, we are actually on the same page, paragraph, and sentence!:laugh:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Exactly. If he's fired, it's not to find a better coach, because not many of those exist. It's to start the wheels of change, to try a different formula. I'm under no illusions that a coaching change puts this team into the playoffs or drastically improves their record. The team still is what it is -- mediocre.

So why prolong the misery then... just fire Sweeney and Neely now?

Seriously, think about..
1. Fire Claude
2. Sweeney/Cam or lame duck coach installed
3. No performance change or decreased performance
4. Fire Sweeney, Neely or lame duck coach etc?
5. New regime from Neely down?

How many more seasons for that to come to fruition? one, two, more?

No thanks. I don't want neither guy in their spot or being coach.
If someone needs to go now, it's not Julien.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Kate, you and I are on exactly the same page.... Hell, we are actually on the same page, paragraph, and sentence!:laugh:

...and this is coming from 2 people that have '8' in their user name :laugh:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Seriously, think about..
1. Fire Claude

How many more season for that to come to fruition? one, two, more?

The jury is still out for me on Sweeney. I don't think he should be fired...yet.

I'm in full agreement that Neely needs to go more than Claude does. But, as I have said numerous times during this conversation, Claude is the easy move, the low hanging fruit, and that's what I'm expecting to see. I'd love to see what the combination of Sweeney and Claude could do, with a different/more experienced President at the helm, but I don't think we are going to get the opportunity.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC

Seriously, think about..
1. Fire Claude

How many more seasons for that to come to fruition? one, two, more?

And after Sweeney and neely are replaced, odds are the new guy(s) want their own coach anyway. Claude will not survive the dismissal of his superiors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad