Claude Julien fined $10,000

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
League is becoming a joke. If they cant take criticism at this level then they shouldn't be here

Seriously, he got a fine for that?

Refs are a part of the game. I don't see why they can't be criticized by coaches, so long as they are respectful about it. I don't see anything disrespectful in Claude's comment- frustration, yes, but disrespect, no.

The majority of the fans around the NHL complain all the time about the inconsistency of the refs, including myself some games.

Of course you complain about refereeing... you're a customer and a fan! Claude Julien is not. And he said that the refereeing was so awful that they needed to beat TWO TEAMS that night. This is him literally accusing the referees of being biased against his team. If you dont see why that's disrespectful, you may need to revisit how to interact with other human beings.

Besides, it's not up to a pissed off coach to do this and it's not gonna change the poor quality of refereeing in the league. Healthy criticism to pro referees can only come from those who supervise them, privately. The quality of refereeing in the NHL is indeed awful and a huge league problem but it's only compounded by coaches who constantly whine to refs during and after games. That's why, as much as Claude Julien may feel better about what he just did, the NHL had to fine him.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
When you have two players battling for the puck. Player A slash player B's stick and breaks it and player A takes the puck, it should be a penalty in the judgement of the referee.

Don't even pretend that you've seen this often that a ref doesn't call a penalty after a player breaks his opponent's stick so obviously.

That said, Julien was always a whiner. I'm a Habs fan and I hated him when he coached the Bruins, I don't like him with the Habs either. Even if we got a pp on thoses plays, it probably wouldn't have made a difference since our PP sucks recently... BUT in this specific case about Seguin breaking Kovalchuk's stick then steals the puck, its 99% a penalty usually.

He went overtop of his stick to win a puck battle. It's not a slash, happens very often throughout a game, and if the stick didn't break no one would bat an eye. Just because equipment breaks doesn't make it a penalty.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He went overtop of his stick to win a puck battle. It's not a slash, happens very often throughout a game, and if the stick didn't break no one would bat an eye. Just because equipment breaks doesn't make it a penalty.

Actually it does. Seguin's action was a slash that broke Kovalchuck 's stick, making him lose the puck battle. It's an automatic penalty. I don't even know why you're arguing this. I've seen weaker slash that doesn't even break the stick but the opponent just had one hand on the stick and loses the stick and it gets called a penalty. Sometimes I think it stupid that it gets called automatically since the player doesn't have a good grab on his stick.

But on this case, it didn't get called. It was obvious. The stick didn't broke by itself. Seguin's slash, even if it wasn't the most violent, resulted to a broken stick for Kovalchyk and made the Habs "shorthanded". It gets called 99% of the time. Don't pretend it is not.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What a ripoff.

Chara can get two cross-checks in for that price.
Shoulda just cross checked both refs. :)

Seriously though, the guy needs to stop whining. He did it in Boston with his infamous "embellishment" crap and he's doing it here. Sometimes teams get the short end, that's how it goes. But going off on the refs publicly is bush league.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
You do know breaking an opponents stick is an automatic right?

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
Y
They seem to know the rule book better than Julien. For example:

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

But Claude is crying for an automatic penalty on Seguin?

You seem to be confused. Julien didn't say that the ref wasn't permitted to not call the penalty. He pointed out that the ref's judgement on this play and many others was very bad. Julien was correct.

I suspect Julien was feeling frustrated given that in the previous game the refs decided that giving a cross check to the neck warrants the same penalty as receiving one. At least in that case the league ruled the refs were wrong.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Actually it does. Seguin's action was a slash that broke Kovalchuck 's stick, making him lose the puck battle. It's an automatic penalty. I don't even know why you're arguing this. I've seen weaker slash that doesn't even break the stick but the opponent just had one hand on the stick and loses the stick and it gets called a penalty. Sometimes I think it stupid that it gets called automatically since the player doesn't have a good grab on his stick.

But on this case, it didn't get called. It was obvious. The stick didn't broke by itself. Seguin's slash, even if it wasn't the most violent, resulted to a broken stick for Kovalchyk and made the Habs "shorthanded". It gets called 99% of the time. Don't pretend it is not.

It's called when the player is up mid-stick or going for the hands and not playing the puck, yes.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
For Those Debating Broken Stick/Slashing:

Rule 61 – Slashing 61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing. Rule Update for HF Boards 2/17/20, shall be called automatically no matter the circumstances in above. Broken stick = automatic slashing, c'mon ref, read the rulebook!

Result of Sequin's Actions: he made a play on the puck and got da puck.

Reactions: eartotheground

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Why can't you criticize refs? I don't understand.

Because this league is inherently broken. Anyone in this thread who is talking shit about Julien/defending the league or officials is a complete idiot, the officiating in the league is a complete joke and the fact you can't call out the trash officiating without being fined is a joke.

The league's rationale behind the fine is essentially that Julien bitching about the officials makes the league look bad so they fine him, when they are completely oblivious to the fact why he is bitching. The league looks bad because the people who are in charge are idiots.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
League has to protect refs and have very little tolerance for players or coach abuse. Every league does that, especially because of fan reactions.

Or owners. Owing to an ugly incident way back, where an owner went in the refs locker room to berate, maybe assault refs, no one is allowed in their locker room, as one example.

As bad as you might think refs occasionally are, multiply the hate on this thread over 31 teams and a thousand games, and you might get an idea that their life ain't peaches in cream.

Only real solutions are no refs and prison rules. That will eliminate the bad calls, and a few players quickly.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
whinging about refs won't stop, and neither will bad calls.

the best GM's occasionally make bad draft picks, the best players occasionally fan on one timers, the best fan occasionally tunes in late to a game, the best coaches occasionally set the least optimal lineups.

saying things like 'missing that call is unacceptable' means you're holding officials to a higher standard than humanly possible.

people. make. mistakes.

by all means, devise a better system of transparency and a better system to promote the game's best, but for the love of everything hockey, get over bad calls being the reason your team is going to win the cup or not this year.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It wasn't the non trip I was concerned about, but more the hooking non call. Its usually an automatic 2 if you hook a guys hands ....or break a guys stick....or get a high stick to the face, especially all in front of the ref.
IF the ref sees it! People, the refs aren't watching this from a couch and reviewing replays. They're on the ice. If their back is turned because they're watching the puck and a slash happens behind them and they don't see it, it might as well not have happened.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Whether they're human or not, there shouldn't be a fine for complaining about the officials.

If they're bad the coaches or players should have the ability to make it known.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad