Claude Julien fined $10,000

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016

Maybe he should just have cross-checked the ref? :huh:

Maybe he should have had his team better prepared so that he doesn't have to blame the officials for his failure? I dunno, sounds like it would have been more effective than crying about it afterwards and getting fined. Every team has games where the ref's have some sort of goofy agenda that impacts the outcome, good teams push through it. Montreal cries about it because how dare the Montreal Canadiens suffer the same indignities the other clubs are forced to endure? Shut up Julien and do your job properly.

Reactions: MrHeiskanen

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It all boils down to the refs having zero accountability. In fact, it does appear that incompetence is encouraged rather than shunned. The worse you are at understanding the rules, the better suited you're to ref the NHL. Must be fantastic. in a normal job, you make such blunders, you get fired. Here? Immunity to all criticism.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Maybe he should have had his team better prepared so that he doesn't have to blame the officials for his failure? I dunno, sounds like it would have been more effective than crying about it afterwards and getting fined. Every team has games where the ref's have some sort of goofy agenda that impacts the outcome, good teams push through it. Montreal cries about it because how dare the Montreal Canadiens suffer the same indignities the other clubs are forced to endure? Shut up Julien and do your job properly.
This is the pros having mediocre and outright suspect reffing shouldn’t even be an issue at this level!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The loss is on the habs. however, Julien isn't wrong on the reffing of the game.

just some of them.
Chiarot was tripped (no penalty) but he was called on the slash. (can't find the video).
It happens everytime that a game is poorly officiated, that's why Julien deserves the fine. The team is getting out of the playoffs and the coach and the players are frustrated

Kovalchuk stick

high stick on Domi (can't find the video, but this is the aftermath)

Life ain't fair buttercup.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Chara got less for crosschecking a throat.
I guess words to hurt more than actions.
and the pen is not mightier than the sword I guess... unless that pen is writing out big fat cheque’s to the league!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Coaches need a NHLCA to limit those fines. Tortz can represent them.

Anyway was this over the Armia dive/loss of balance?

Idiot keeps whining openly about the referees and some fans still wonder why his teams always quit on him. No need for effort if the games are decided by the referees, right Clode ?

Almost 9 years too late but at least you guys are warming up to the idea that 'embellishment city' was a bad look.

Reactions: dukeofjive

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Julien's act gets real old. When he loses, it's everyone's fault but his own or his players. Yea, Torts whines about the refs, but he also holds his players accountable.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Finally CJ does something positive. The NHL refs are terrible in general. Can't believe the league spends good money on those bunch of misfits that don't seem to even know the rule book.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Finally CJ does something positive. The NHL refs are terrible in general. Can't believe the league spends good money on those bunch of misfits that don't seem to even know the rule book.

They seem to know the rule book better than Julien. For example:

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

But Claude is crying for an automatic penalty on Seguin?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Remember those heady days when Claude Julien complaining about the refs elicited scorn about his hypocrisy and got some posters so enraged they made youtube videos to catalog his hypocrisy?

Welcome to Bizarro-HFBoards, one and all.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
They seem to know the rule book better than Julien. For example:

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

But Claude is crying for an automatic penalty on Seguin?

When you have two players battling for the puck. Player A slash player B's stick and breaks it and player A takes the puck, it should be a penalty in the judgement of the referee.

Don't even pretend that you've seen this often that a ref doesn't call a penalty after a player breaks his opponent's stick so obviously.

That said, Julien was always a whiner. I'm a Habs fan and I hated him when he coached the Bruins, I don't like him with the Habs either. Even if we got a pp on thoses plays, it probably wouldn't have made a difference since our PP sucks recently... BUT in this specific case about Seguin breaking Kovalchuk's stick then steals the puck, its 99% a penalty usually.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewall

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Missed calls happen every game. They could have called a dive on Montreal in OT when I believe it was Armia who barely got tapped on the stick and he went down like he skated over a hole in the ice. His feet and legs weren't even touched but a sniper got him.
Yes, because we all know it would've been a very consistent call to call a dive and only a dive....

Slashing that breaks the stick are automatic calls.
High stick are automatic calls.

There's no excuse for these plays to be missed when they are in the action, like a lot of the uncall clear penalities are. On some replay you can see the ref looking at the guy getting highsticked. There are also 4 officials on the ice...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I'm just here to explain to all kids on HF that FINES IMPOSED TO PLAYERS are limited per CBA and maximum amounts vary from each individuals players salary. It explains why Chara got fined for 5k while another player was fined for 2.5k yet both were ''as per maximum allowed under the CBA''.

Now, FINES IMPOSED TO COACHES do not need to meet those limits.

Players may be fined up to 50% of one day's average salary without exceeding $10,000 for the first fine and $15,000 for any subsequent fines within a 12 month calendar period.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

What a ripoff.

Chara can get two cross-checks in for that price.

Julien should have just crosschecked the ref in the throat. Fine would have been cut to half...

he got a bigger fine for using some choice words while Chara gets half that fine for a crosscheck to the throat? NHL discipline at its best! Lol

Chara got less for crosschecking a throat.
I guess words to hurt more than actions.

Just sayin'
How much money does a Player forfeit when fined?
Players may be fined up to 50% of one day's average salary without exceeding $10,000 for the first fine and $15,000 for any subsequent fines within a 12 month calendar period.

Coaches fines aren't limited by such rules...

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
League is becoming a joke. If they cant take criticism at this level then they shouldn't be here
Seriously, he got a fine for that?

Refs are a part of the game. I don't see why they can't be criticized by coaches, so long as they are respectful about it. I don't see anything disrespectful in Claude's comment- frustration, yes, but disrespect, no.

The majority of the fans around the NHL complain all the time about the inconsistency of the refs, including myself some games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->