Claude Julien fined $10,000

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Missed calls happen every game. They could have called a dive on Montreal in OT when I believe it was Armia who barely got tapped on the stick and he went down like he skated over a hole in the ice. His feet and legs weren't even touched but a sniper got him.

More and more I'm seeing ignored calls, not missed calls.

Reactions: CDN24

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
The NHL can either fine all the people calling out the garbage the refs are pulling, or they can start holding the officials accountable and clean up the sport. It's sad this is the choice the league is making.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
When you have two players battling for the puck. Player A slash player B's stick and breaks it and player A takes the puck, it should be a penalty in the judgement of the referee.

Don't even pretend that you've seen this often that a ref doesn't call a penalty after a player breaks his opponent's stick so obviously.

That said, Julien was always a whiner. I'm a Habs fan and I hated him when he coached the Bruins, I don't like him with the Habs either. Even if we got a pp on thoses plays, it probably wouldn't have made a difference since our PP sucks recently... BUT in this specific case about Seguin breaking Kovalchuk's stick then steals the puck, its 99% a penalty usually.

well to be fair he played the puck got his stick on the puck and skated with it, he didn't just slash a stick, if anything Kovy was swinging a wild slash and the other guy played the puck. just because his stick broke does not make it a penalty.
I see stick blade to stick blade on a puck, that's not a slash

a slashing the stick is when the players stick is broken but ***not in a manner to play the puck

Last edited:

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
At some point I can't take this bullshit anymore. Julien gave fair critisism for the officiating which was once again garage level and he gets fined for that? What a totalitarian bitch move. I wish the coaches and players united on a front and speak their mind every time. It would get such publicity that the league had to do something else than fining all of them.

I´m writing this as a hockey, not a fan of a certain team or against some team or teams. It's againt this bush league situation.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
If you want to solve all this just change one thing. Refs CAN miss calls, it does happen and at time it's in the most important time of the game. SO... allow the coach to throw a flag for a missed call. Limit the amount of flags so the coach can't call everything. but I would rather get the call RIGHT and have a 2 min pause for a review then see a outright high stick WITH BLOOD go unpunished.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Bad idea to openly complain about reffing (both during and after games). Not that he's wrong (he's not) but it sends the wrong message to the team. I remember Pat Quinn doing this a lot as Leafs coach which in turn led to the players constantly whining about the officiating and eventually we couldn't buy a call. Refs are human and whether consciously or not, they have to be affected by this. It also gives the players an excuse to quit. Just move on. It will likely balance out over the season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
In that particular game? Clode was 100% correct. And coming from a Leafs fan that sees my team in the bottom of the league in PP chances for 3 straight years? Ya, game management by officials is real.

Bruins were routinely in the bottom percentage for PP chances for over three decades, probably the worst in the league in the same span.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bad idea to openly complain about reffing (both during and after games). Not that he's wrong (he's not) but it sends the wrong message to the team. I remember Pat Quinn doing this a lot as Leafs coach which in turn led to the players constantly whining about the officiating and eventually we couldn't buy a call. Refs are human and whether consciously or not, they have to be affected by this. It also gives the players an excuse to quit. Just move on. It will likely balance out over the season.

Agreed. Whining to the media has never been an effective strategy imo. An experienced coach like Julien should realize this. The nhl knows full well who the shit officials are and deals with them internally via playoff assignments and possibly personnel changes. Complain to the director of officials and eventually if there’s enough complaints, the guy who did that game will be dealt with.

Crying to the media just makes you an enemy of the entire ref fraternity. Dumb strategy imo

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Did you watch the game? Because the Habs getting none was the point. There were MULTIPLE missed calls...and again, i am about as non-biased as one could be here...
This thread is filled with people who didn't even watch the game yet comment. It's kinda sad when people come and are quick to bash Claude without haven't even watch a single period of the game lol.

Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad