News Article: Claude Julien at Hospital. Will Miss the Rest of the Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I am in no position to judge but should we actually be talking about personnel shuffling on this thread?

Again not judging specific individuals especially after a comment I made on here about a Gally injury. Definitely a low point for me that thankfully was deleted. But isn’t it kind of bad form?

More pointless than bad form at this point in time imo. What happen next in regard of the HC position will depend solely on Claude (and his family) decision to come back or not. For now he's just on sick leave getting rest and we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Hopefully it was not an angina/hearth attack.
Found this about his procedure:

"researchers from the Duke Clinical Research Institute have found that stents have no impact on mortality over the long term."

Glad to see this. I wish him a speedy recovery and many years of health.

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Best wishes to Julien. By all accounts, from everyone revolving around him, he's as classy as it gets.

On another note, I think the management has to prepare to the eventuality of hiring a new Head Coach. Coaching in an NHL hotbed is probably the worst job possible for your cardiac health, and I would not be surprised if Julien decides to call it quit and stay home. I think he's a man of family first and foremost, and with good reason.

Any chance Gerard Gallant speaks French?
His French is as good as Rene Bourque's! (meaning he does not speak French despite the name)

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
This stent is a common procedure. He should make a full recovery. I know a couple guys that had this done in their 40s and they are back working like normal.

Reactions: angusyoung

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Best wishes to Julien. By all accounts, from everyone revolving around him, he's as classy as it gets.

On another note, I think the management has to prepare to the eventuality of hiring a new Head Coach. Coaching in an NHL hotbed is probably the worst job possible for your cardiac health, and I would not be surprised if Julien decides to call it quit and stay home. I think he's a man of family first and foremost, and with good reason.

His French is as good as Rene Bourque's! (meaning he does not speak French despite the name)

Yup, if Julien calls it quit, it's Guy Boucher, Ducharme, Carbonneau, Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx or Marc Crawford (or some coach from the QMJHL).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup, if Julien calls it quit, it's Guy Boucher, Ducharme, Carbonneau, Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx or Marc Crawford (or some coach from the QMJHL).

How much term does Muller have left? I'd be content with Muller, Ducharme, and Richardson and eventually after Muller's contract expires, it's Ducharme and Bouchard?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If we beat the Flyers... Julien probably out of the entire playoffs right?

He should just call it a day and pack it in. He doesn't need the aggravation or the bucks and to constantly hear his name butchered by ignoramuses that can't pronounce Claude and call him Klod instead,how hard is it to say his name if you're not French first? seems pretty easy if you ask me.:rant:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Something off with Gallant based on how he is let go from two different teams now. Seems like a nice guy though

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How much term does Muller have left? I'd be content with Muller, Ducharme, and Richardson and eventually after Muller's contract expires, it's Ducharme and Bouchard?

Muller will never be head coach with the current administration. The only way I would see it is if they win the Cup this year with him as the temporary HC.

Carbonneau? Lol...what?

We had Julien and Therrien part 2, so you never know. We could also see Martin part 2 (or Vigneault when he eventually leaves/get fired).

Since Tremblay, we went Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, Carbonneau, Martin, Therrien 2, Julien 2 so technically Carbonneau is next in the sequence followed by Martin if he is still coaching at that time :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He should just call it a day and pack it in. He doesn't need the aggravation or the bucks and to constantly hear his name butchered by ignoramuses that can't pronounce Claude and call him Klod instead,how hard is it to say his name if you're not French first? seems pretty easy if you ask me.:rant:

He might retire. Money talks though. He's getting like $5M per season and not sure how much he made with the Bruins and before that.

I looked it up... Claude Julien - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. He made $2.5M x 3 seasons with the Bruins and $5M for 3 seasons with the Habs so far. Probably has something like $5M+ in the bank after taxes and buying house, cars, and yearly expenses.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Muller will never be head coach with the current administration. The only way I would see it is if they win the Cup this year with him as the temporary HC.

We had Julien and Therrien part 2, so you never know. We could also see Martin part 2 (or Vigneault when he eventually leaves/get fired).

Since Tremblay, we went Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, Carbonneau, Martin, Therrien 2, Julien 2 so technically Carbonneau is next in the sequence followed by Martin if he is still coaching at that time :laugh:
Has Carbonneau ever had a coaching job that wasn't with Montreal? I know he was an assistant here before becoming head coach.

edit: He coached 15 games for Chicoutimi in the Q in 2010-11.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It looks like Claude will be ok thankfully and while it's probably a bit too soon to talk about replacements, I honestly don't think the guy should be back if he has any heart issues. This is a stressful job, physically and mentally taxing. He has had an amazing career, he still has many good years left to spend with his family and there's no need for him to take a risk like that.
doesnt insurance cover his salary if he forced not to coach again?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Fair. Will be interesting to see who gets the job. Ducharme or Bouchard or someone like Martin or Hartley. Martin or Hartley probably puts heat on Bergevin so hopefully he is smart and gives it to Ducharme or Bouchard even though they have limited pro experience

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Has Carbonneau ever had a coaching job that wasn't with Montreal? I know he was an assistant here before becoming head coach.

Didn't stop them the first time or with Lefebvre. They also had no problem hiring guys that have been out of hockey for a while (Therrien part 2).

Fair. Will be interesting to see who gets the job. Ducharme or Bouchard or someone like Martin or Hartley. Martin or Hartley probably puts heat on Bergevin so hopefully he is smart and gives it to Ducharme or Bouchard even though they have limited pro experience

I hope Bouchard stays with the kid for a while and I believe he would have a harder time in the NHL with his coaching methods. Some AHL vets have problems buying into his way, I can't imagine it working with NHL vets.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Does a stint force you to not coach though? Not sure
no , stents should not and are actually a routine procedure and can withing 3-5 month be at normal or even better speed. However, stents also need the patient to be regularly on blood thinners, wont affect claude as a coach, just stating for info

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
First, we need to pray for 60 year old Claude Julien that he fully recovers from this heart condition (we don't know if it's a mild heart attack). He seems to be a very intense head coach behind the bench, someone who keeps his emotions bottled up inside of him. He rarely explodes publicly and was most gracious toward the press media.

What did you expect Marc Bergevin to say? That Claude's condition is so serious that he'll never coach again? No, he said the correct thing about Kirk Muller coaching behind the bench until the Canadiens are eliminated in these playoffs. He made a big point about Kirk not being able to speak French to the press so if the event Julien decides to call it quits, Muller will not be in the running for Julien's job.

The post you quoted was on March 3, 2020.....

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He might retire. Money talks though. He's getting like $5M per season and not sure how much he made with the Bruins and before that.

I looked it up... Claude Julien - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. He made $2.5M x 3 seasons with the Bruins and $5M for 3 seasons with the Habs so far. Probably has something like $5M+ in the bank after taxes and buying house, cars, and yearly expenses.

So no need to subject himself to aggravation for his better health.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

He also coached for Team Canada at the U18s. If I recall correctly, he wasn't a good coach in either the Q or with Team Canada.

Reactions: Le Tricolore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad