Player Discussion Claude Giroux

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
This is up there with the buy out on Norris suggestion

He is still producing and likely will for a few more years. I hope we re-sign him when his deal is up and he retires a Senator, right after he wins a Cup in Ottawa.

He is a core piece for as long as he is here. His compete, his FO skills, his point production and his leadership are too valuable to lose.
Nobody is a core piece on a miserable team. Especially an older player with only a year left on his contract.

I agree he is a good player and leader by example. However you have to look at the circumstances.

The Sens have a GM who has no NHL experience, Staios. They have a team that is on the very bottom of the NHL. The Sens have no permanent coach and no coach so far has been able to help these players win.

The rebuild is far from over.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nobody is a core piece on a miserable team. Especially an older player with only a year left on his contract.

I agree he is a good player and leader by example. However you have to look at the circumstances.

The Sens have a GM who has no NHL experience, Staios. They have a team that is on the very bottom of the NHL. The Sens have no permanent coach and no coach so far has been able to help these players win.

The team has said they are looking to add a player with those exact same qualities he has.
So they aren’t going to move the one they have, when looking to add that.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
The team has said they are looking to add a player with those exact same qualities he has.
So they aren’t going to move the one they have, when looking to add that.
I'm just worried that adding one more veteran player isn't going to turn this team from a bottom feeder to a playoff team.

There are so many holes in this team. They need a good RH defenceman, to get rid of Korpisalo's contract and somehow find a good goalie.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm just worried that adding one more veteran player isn't going to turn this team from a bottom feeder to a playoff team.

There are so many holes in this team. They need a good RH defenceman, to get rid of Korpisalo's contract and somehow find a good goalie.
Removing a player that you’re trying to get, will make it worse.
Sens will know more after free agency in the summer,

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I didn't know he had a no trade clause.

I missed that.

Has Martin been named the new coach or is he still interim?
Still interim.

I might trade Giroux if we would get a top 2 OA draft pick back; however, I doubt Giroux would agree to it as he has an NMC and I doubt any team with a top 2 OA draft pick would make that trade.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

We could only dream to have a vet come in who brings what he does. It's actually been astounding to see how he has sustained his game. His contract isn't bad at all, particularly with the cap rise next year and the buy-outs being over.

I get the concept and agree the rebuild isn't over but we are tweaking mode now and getting a late 1st for him won't move the needle for a long time.

I am a believer that the group of youngsters we have are capable of winning with the right structure, better goaltending and another top 4 on RD. Moving from G doesn't help any of those areas.

In the end, I would rather see a bunch of other players moved before him as I can see him being a great 3rd line guy even 2 years from now who gets put out win draws and is actually capable of scoring.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
SENATORS RALLY FROM THREE DOWN AS GIROUX BURRIES OVERTIME WINNER
After conceding three goals in the first period, Brady Tkachuk (1-1—2) led a three-goal Ottawa outburst in the second frame to erase their deficit. The game was tied at 3-3 until the final 84 seconds of extra time when Claude Giroux scored his 13th career overtime goal to give the Senators their 15th three-goal comeback win in franchise history – and first in nearly three years.

* The Senators earned their first three-goal comeback win since Feb. 15, 2021, against the Maple Leafs (6-5 OT W) and their first at home in more than six years (Jan. 5, 2018: 6-5 OT W vs. SJS).

* Monday marked the 100th multi-goal come-from-behind victory of 2023-24 – the second most in NHL history at this stage of a season behind 1985-86 (112 in 775 GP).

* Giroux has now scored the decisive goal in games when trailing by three or more goals for the fifth time in his career – tied for the most in NHL history. The next-closest active players for such winners are Rickard Rakell and Leon Draisaitl (both w/ 3).

Giroux_Media-29104412.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17650

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
SENATORS RALLY FROM THREE DOWN AS GIROUX BURRIES OVERTIME WINNER
After conceding three goals in the first period, Brady Tkachuk (1-1—2) led a three-goal Ottawa outburst in the second frame to erase their deficit. The game was tied at 3-3 until the final 84 seconds of extra time when Claude Giroux scored his 13th career overtime goal to give the Senators their 15th three-goal comeback win in franchise history – and first in nearly three years.

* The Senators earned their first three-goal comeback win since Feb. 15, 2021, against the Maple Leafs (6-5 OT W) and their first at home in more than six years (Jan. 5, 2018: 6-5 OT W vs. SJS).

* Monday marked the 100th multi-goal come-from-behind victory of 2023-24 – the second most in NHL history at this stage of a season behind 1985-86 (112 in 775 GP).

* Giroux has now scored the decisive goal in games when trailing by three or more goals for the fifth time in his career – tied for the most in NHL history. The next-closest active players for such winners are Rickard Rakell and Leon Draisaitl (both w/ 3).

Giroux_Media-29104412.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17650

Interesting. Thanks for posting this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad