Player Discussion Claude Giroux

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
only forwards that can be proud of themselves this year are Greig, Tarasenko and maybe Joseph.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
whats crazy is that they care so much about DJ but they continue to play pond hockey instead of trying to save his job.

or is it that they love DJ because he lets them play pond hockey?

we'll never know until DJ is fired.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Very good point, I'd rather have a team that has each other's back then a knife ready to stab each other in the back.

Bobby Ryan made a good point, players comments right after a game is one thing, but Giroux saying this in a media availability on an off day, this was calculated.
I don't think there is any chance of public mud slinging or knives in the back.

It does seem quick to turn the focus on the fans though. I have been to almost every home game this season and there hasn't been much booing or negativity.

I guess the power of social media is strong with the youngsters. It is absolutely 💯% normal for a coach to be under the gun at this point.

All that said, I was at the last game and I told my young son the people chanting Fire DJ were idiots.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I don't think there is any chance of public mud slinging or knives in the back.

It does seem quick to turn the focus on the fans though. I have been to almost every home game this season and there hasn't been much booing or negativity.

I guess the power of social media is strong with the youngsters. It is absolutely 💯% normal for a coach to be under the gun at this point.

All that said, I was at the last game and I told my young son the people chanting Fire DJ were idiots.
I have mixed feelings. Feel bad for DJ, seems like the players are rallying for DJ which is being interpreted as against the fans…. However I have always found the Sens barn to be quiet and timid, I have always been envious of the more hostile rambunctious environments around the league, so it’s kind of a shift I like.

I’ve watched world junior games at CTC, that’s a whole lot of fun. Saturday afternoon Sens games pale in comparison.

Now, maybe a playoff game would be fun…

Reactions: OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Chabot is 26. Chychrun is 25. Batherson is 25. Tkachuk is 24. Norris is 24.

That’s not that young in the NHL. Certainly not young enough to make the mistakes they still do.

Then you have Giroux who’s 35, Tarasenko who’s 31 and Zub who’s 28.

That’s a fairly mature “core”. Certainly old enough to not blow another season in November.
People definitely have an old school way of thinking. Players primes aren’t 28-32 anymore.

Statistical prime is like 21-26 now.

Edmonton is certainly on the verge of firing Woodcroft, and McDavid is having an atrocious start to the year by his standards. He’s taking a ton of heat, as is that whole team. It’s mass panic in Edmonton.
Bullshit by the fans. How much longer must woodcroft and mcdavid endure such harassment in

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
What a beast. What a great ufa signing. He's done so much for Brady already. Last night's game was giroux taking steutzle under his wing. Steutzle was great and Claude is the cause. He brings so much poise to this group. That tic-tac-toe third period response goal is giroux in a nutshell.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What a beast. What a great ufa signing. He's done so much for Brady already. Last night's game was giroux taking steutzle under his wing. Steutzle was great and Claude is the cause. He brings so much poise to this group. That tic-tac-toe third period response goal is giroux in a nutshell.

Definitely playing like it was a statement game last night. Hope he does it again tonight.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Giroux was Alfiesque last night against the Leafs - what a true leader, very lucky to have him on the Sens.

Reactions: Cosmix

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I think the Sens should trade Giroux at the deadline.

He's a pretty good player on a really bad team. The logical thing to do is gain prospects and picks.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

He's a pretty good player on a really bad team. The logical thing to do is gain prospects and picks.
G moves if he wants to move, but otherwise I think this would be a terrible idea. We saw what happens to a young promising team when all its veteran presence is shipped out — it crumbles. You need the guys who've been there before, who can demonstrate the right attitude and approach. The fact that he's still performing at a high level is a bonus.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
G moves if he wants to move, but otherwise I think this would be a terrible idea. We saw what happens to a young promising team when all its veteran presence is shipped out — it crumbles. You need the guys who've been there before, who can demonstrate the right attitude and approach. The fact that he's still performing at a high level is a bonus.
Agreed. He's an immense talent and a future hall of famer. And he chose to come here.

Can't disrespect that.

If he wants to move, accomodate him.
If he's happy, he stays.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I totally agree with the need for veteran presence.

However, the Sens have brought in Tarasenko, Giroux and Korpisalo and the young players are still inconsistent.

They would either have to add 2-3 more veteran players, get a good right handed defenceman, a coach that can actually coach and a goalie who can stop a puck. If did they those things before next year then I think there would be huge progress. But, to me, almost none of those things will be done before next season considering no permanent GM has even been hired yet.

So I am thinking the Sens should trade away the veteran players and anybody they don't really need. We then have to rely on our new GM to draft well. By the time the Sens have all of their boxes checked the young players will be veterans and they will have a plethora of young talent to go along with their veterans

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

No. I think he will want to stay for family reasons and nix any trade. Plus We need vets like him on the roster, particularly because he plays a high IQ game that other players can observe and hopefully emulate.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Helllllllllllll No. I think he will want to stay for family reasons and nix any trade. Plus We need vets like him on the roster, particularly because he plays a high IQ game that other players can observe and hopefully emulate.

Fixed. G is the new Alfie, while Alfie is Mr. G himself. Can't lose either, then you lose the universe.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I totally agree with the need for veteran presence.

However, the Sens have brought in Tarasenko, Giroux and Korpisalo and the young players are still inconsistent.

They would either have to add 2-3 more veteran players, get a good right handed defenceman, a coach that can actually coach and a goalie who can stop a puck. If did they those things before next year then I think there would be huge progress. But, to me, almost none of those things will be done before next season considering no permanent GM has even been hired yet.

So I am thinking the Sens should trade away the veteran players and anybody they don't really need. We then have to rely on our new GM to draft well. By the time the Sens have all of their boxes checked the young players will be veterans and they will have a plethora of young talent to go along with their veterans
Staios is the permanent GM, it was announced on Dec 31st.

But the bolded is what I imagine they are trying to do and the real solution, not trading Giroux.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No interest in trading vets for prospects and picks. That ship has sailed and this team needs to start winning and making the playoffs now. I want to keep G and Tank and replace Kubalik. The fourth line is where we can add a player. Right now it’s improvement on chartier and perhaps Mac, though under Martin both have looked like NHL players.

The real work is on the right side of the D pairings, it’s the only place we need to focus on and we have cap room to do it.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

This is up there with the buy out on Norris suggestion

He is still producing and likely will for a few more years. I hope we re-sign him when his deal is up and he retires a Senator, right after he wins a Cup in Ottawa.

He is a core piece for as long as he is here. His compete, his FO skills, his point production and his leadership are too valuable to lose.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Giroux is fine to move, logically moving him makes sense, getting another late 1st and 2nd type return will help with the restructuring of a Dorion team to a Staios team.

His option though, he's earned the approval from his end.

Giroux is great to have on the team, and he looks to have another 2-3 years left in him. Sens aren't losing out by keeping him.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
No. I think he will want to stay for family reasons and nix any trade. Plus We need vets like him on the roster, particularly because he plays a high IQ game that other players can observe and hopefully emulate.
I didn't know he had a no trade clause.

Staios is the permanent GM, it was announced on Dec 31st.

But the bolded is what I imagine they are trying to do and the real solution, not trading Giroux.
I missed that.

Has Martin been named the new coach or is he still interim?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad