Player Discussion Claude Giroux

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Very good point, I'd rather have a team that has each other's back then a knife ready to stab each other in the back.

Bobby Ryan made a good point, players comments right after a game is one thing, but Giroux saying this in a media availability on an off day, this was calculated.

Tkachuk looks rattled. Both in interviews and on the ice. Barking at refs and teammates, lashing out at fans, saying he's turned off social media... he's not really projecting much poise and confidence.

I think this was a veteran trying to take some of the heat off.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stutzle is the one that looks rattled & making numerous mistakes defensively & can't seem to handle the amount of attention other teams are giving him. It's probably why he has been taken off the top line & replaced with Norris who is a pt per game since his return to action.

Tkachuk has been awsome & leads this team in almost every category that matters & he is taking the heat off his players & coach & placing it on him, that's leadership during a difficult time.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Stutzle is the one that looks rattled & making nunerous mistakes defensively & can't to handle the amount of attention other teams are giving him. It's probably why he has been taken off the top line & replaced with Norris who is a pt per game since his return to action.

Tkachuk has been awsome & leads this team in almost every category that matters & he is taking the heat off his players & coach & placing it on him, that's leadership during a difficult time.

They both look bad and are reeling. Stützle needs to stop doing his best Bunting impression, and Tkachuk needs to play with some composure and start doing his part in his own end.

Lead by example. Come out next game and shut the Leafs down defensively. Win 2-1. Stop the yapping and cherry-picking.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
They both look bad and are reeling. Stützle needs to stop doing his best Bunting impression, and Tkachuk needs to play with some composure and start doing his part in his own end.

Lead by example. Come out next game and shut the Leafs down defensively. Win 2-1. Stop the yapping and cherry-picking.
Tkachuk has 8 goals in the first 10 games of the season. I think he tied a Sens record with two former players.

He can say whatever he wants in the media when he plays like that.

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Tkachuk has 8 goals in 10 games, that's not bad or reeling, that's good & he keeps pushing the team to fight harder.

He's scored on his chances and deserves credit for that, but he's been awful defensively and his playmaking ability has been lacking compared to previous years.

20% shooting percentage (double his career average) won't last. Needs to improve like our other top players if we are to be a playoff team.

Reactions: Relapsing

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tkachuk has 8 goals in the first 10 games of the season. I think he tied a Sens record with two former players.

That's great. 2 meaningless goals against the Bolts, but before that he had 2 goals in 6 games (we went 2-4) and he was pretty bad in our most important stretch of games so far (DET, BUF, NYI). No goals and one assist in those.

And his attention to detail in his own end is still way below average. I hoped he would've really committed to that this year since that's what it takes to win. So far, it hasn't been promising.

He's not the only one, mind you.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
That's great. 2 meaningless goals against the Bolts, but before that he had 2 goals in 6 games (we went 2-4) and was pretty bad in our most important stretch of games so far (DET, BUF, NYI). No goals and one assist in those.

And his attention to detail in his own end is still way below average. I hoped he would've really committed to that this year since that's what it takes to win. So far, it hasn't been promising.

He's not the only one, mind you.
Fair, but if the whole top 6 was producing like that there would have been enough goals to win a few a more of those games.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's scored on his chances and deserves credit for that, but he's been awful defensively and his playmaking ability has been lacking compared to previous years.

20% shooting percentage (double his career average) won't last. Needs to improve like our other top players if we are to be a playoff team.
Couldn't disagree more, he's been our best player. In fact, he's been our best player the last 165 games & the stats bear that out. Stutzle is the one who keeps giving the puck away or losing it & it ending up in our net.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone complaining about tkachuk....we see you. You are known.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There's something to be said for the room sticking together... I'd rather this than a shit ton of infighting or public mud slinging.

Now, it's up to them to take that and turn the ship around. The core isn't stupid - they know change is coming this summer, whether they want it or not, and if they are as close as they seem to be as a group, they know that change will reach into the room if things don't improve.
At the end of the day, they are all alone, and fans getting on them makes them realize that they should play for each other rather first, then the fans. Maybe this way they will take away selfish plays that are meant to delight the fans, but end up in a 2 on 1.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Couldn't disagree more, he's been our best player. In fact, he's been our best player the last 165 games & the stats bear that out.

Agreed. But if he wants to lead the charge on a playoff contender, he needs to be better.

None of the "core" has been good enough this year, with the exception of Sanderson. Tkachuk has been better than Stützle, who's been better than Chabot, who's been better than Batherson... but overall, it's not good enough.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
At the end of the day, they are all alone, and fans getting in them makes them realize that they should play for each other rather first, then the fans. Maybe this way they will take away selfish plays that are meant to delight the fans, but end up in a 2 on 1.
My favourite is the no-look drop pass to the other team. Always works out well right?

Reactions: coladin

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agreed. But if he wants to lead the charge on a playoff contender, he needs to be even better.

None of the "core" has been good enough this year, with the exception of Sanderson.
The problem isn't one guy, it's collectively they still make too many mistakes & take too many risks & don't manage the puck very well mostly because they are still young & think they are good enough to get away with it, but lately it's not working for them & they need a save when they make mistakes.

Sanderson has been good & will be a great player, but he has had his problems defensively on occassion as well, again young player mistakes thinking you can beat guys & most of the time he can, but when he doesn't it becomes a problem in their zone & sometime in the back of their net.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
The problem isn't one guy, it's collectively they still make too many mistakes & take too many risks & don't manage the puck very well mostly because they are still young & think they are good enough to get away with it, but lately it's not working for them & they need a save when they make mistakes.

They play a very immature type of game. Unfortunately, they’re not that young anymore. They’ve been in the league for a while. That’s the concern.

Why haven’t they gotten it?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
At the end of the day, they are all alone, and fans getting on them makes them realize that they should play for each other rather first, then the fans. Maybe this way they will take away selfish plays that are meant to delight the fans, but end up in a 2 on 1.
I'm all for it if that's what ends up happening. Being detail oriented and winning is way more exciting than being flashy and losing IMO. All I want is this team to figure it out and start stringing some wins together.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They play a very immature type of game. Unfortunately, they’re not that young anymore. They’ve been in the league for a while. That’s the concern.

Why haven’t they gotten it?
There are 8 guys in their lineup right now who are all under 25 yrs old, I assume that's young & that doesn't include Kastelic, Greig or Brannstrom who are also under 25 & so is Pinto.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
There are 8 guys in their lineup right now who are all under 25 yrs old, I assume that's young & that doesn't include Kastelic, Greig or Brannstrom who are also under 25 & so is Pinto.

Chabot is 26. Chychrun is 25. Batherson is 25. Tkachuk is 24. Norris is 24.

That’s not that young in the NHL. Certainly not young enough to make the mistakes they still do.

Then you have Giroux who’s 35, Tarasenko who’s 31 and Zub who’s 28.

That’s a fairly mature “core”. Certainly old enough to not blow another season in November.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chabot is 26. Chychrun is 25. Batherson is 25. Tkachuk is 24. Norris is 24.

That’s not that young in the NHL. Certainly not young enough to make the mistakes they still do.

Then you have Giroux who’s 35, Tarasenko who’s 31 and Zub who’s 28.

That’s a fairly mature “core”. Certainly old enough to not blow another season in November.
Seems young to me, I believe they are the 7th youngest team in the NHL. Edm doesn't seem to be doing all that well in November, are they firing everydody over there? Is McDavid a shit captain? There is plenty of time to right this ship, they were only three wins away from making the playoffs last yr, they just have to be much better defensively & get some saves when it's needed. Fans need to cool their jets & stop over reacting to this. Goaltending is still a problem at times, Stutzle is still giving the puck away too much, they still have too many injuries to key players, these are facts they need to overcome & I think they will.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Tkachuk looks rattled. Both in interviews and on the ice. Barking at refs and teammates, lashing out at fans, saying he's turned off social media... he's not really projecting much poise and confidence.

I think this was a veteran trying to take some of the heat off.

Not sure how you figure that. The guy is laser focused on winning, on and off the ice.

True leader. Speaks the truth.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Seems young to me, I believe they are the 7th youngest team in the NHL. Edm doesn't seem to be doing all that well in November, are they firing everydody over there? Is McDavid a shit captain? There is plenty of time to right this ship, they were only three wins away from making the playoffs last yr, they just have to be much better defensively & get some saves when it's needed. Fans need to cool their jets & stop over reacting to this. Goaltending is still a problem at times, Stutzle is still giving the puck away too much, they still have too many injuries to key players, these are facts they need to overcome & I think they will.

Edmonton is certainly on the verge of firing Woodcroft, and McDavid is having an atrocious start to the year by his standards. He’s taking a ton of heat, as is that whole team. It’s mass panic in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00