Claude Giroux - Hart Trophy

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i don't think he should win it, but i don't think he shouldn't be in the conversation.

i always like turning to the "what would their team be like without them" factor when judging Hart candidates. in that regard, it's hard to argue that the Flyers would be worse off without Giroux than certain other teams would be without their best candidates for the Hart trophy.

for example, i think Taylor Hall is a more deserving Hart winner than Giroux in this particular season, especially if the Devils squeak into the playoffs. the gap between Hall and their next highest scorer is larger than the gap between Giroux and the Flyers' next highest scorer (i think, without looking at the stats). if i'm wrong, i'm sure i'll get corrected (and please do).

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
This is a dumb way to lower a player's argument for Hart. By playing more games, you are given more time to provide "VALUE" for your team. Playing more games should not be a crutch for a player, even if another player has higher PPG. It absolutely should hurt your Hart chances if you have less games played.

Yes, exactly. That is the definition of value. The award is not for best, or most talented. It's about value. A player that scores 50 points in 80 games is more valuable to their team than the player that scores 20 points in 10.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
This is a dumb way to lower a player's argument for Hart. By playing more games, you are given more time to provide "VALUE" for your team. Playing more games should not be a crutch for a player, even if another player has higher PPG. It absolutely should hurt your Hart chances if you have less games played.

What in the world are you talking about? Never in that post did I compare points or PPG. I absolutely agree that using PPG instead of points is a poor way to evaluate a player's value to a team. However, when you're trying to demonstrate which player is more valuable by showcasing the percentage of the team's offense that is run through them.. why the heck would you count games that the player didn't even play in? You're artificially lowering that number.. no shit a player can't contribute to goals in games they don't play in.

It absolutely should hurt your Hart chances if you have less games played but in the context of that stat, not accounting for games played renders the stat useless for comparison sake. Take McK, he missed a good stretch of games.. does that suddenly mean

Anyways, congrats to Giroux on his first GWG and first OT goal of the year! It was a beauty.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He's not ahead of Hall, Mac, Kopitar or Mcdavid.
If we’re considering players from non playoff teams, then Mcdavid wins.

If you exclude McDavid and Mackinnon, Giroux is absolutely on par with Hall and Kopitar. It’s essentially impossible to justify one over the other without bias becoming involved.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Theres no reason for McDavid to be ahead of him considering how many of his points came in meaningless games with no stakes. McDavid isnt in my top 5. Will probably get votes anyway because of name recongition.

MacKinnon and Hall are my top 2 but Giroux should be in that next tier with Kopitar, Kucherov, etc.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Why is the media deliberately ignoring Giroux this season? Seems like he never gets the respect he deserves, from Olympics snubs to being denied a clear assist for his 99th point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The last player to win the Hart when their team missed the playoffs was Mario Lemieux, the year he scored 168 points and broke Gretzky's stranglehold on the Art Ross by beating Gretzky by almost 20 points (Gretzky did miss games, however).

In other words, it took a season in which the player did something incredibly special compared to the rest of the field in order to accomplish that.

And, by the way, the Pens only missed by like 1 point. The Oilers are about a country mile behind the last playoff spot.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Not even in the picture. Flyers fans can stop whining now mkay.

DaHT1zuXcAA3Rv5

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
A great way to evaluate players is to see how they elevate the players around them.

This year has provided us another 2 great examples of what giroux is Capable of doing. Sean Couturier doubled his career high in goals centering Giroux. has anyone in NHL history doubled their career high in goals in their 7th season?

an Even better example is the production of Konecny who look lost for the first half of the year. He caught fire on giroux's line.

This is in line with other players he elevated such as Hartnell, and Raffl.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamParrot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad