Claude Giroux - Hart Trophy

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
IMO Giroux should absolutely win the Hart trophy. He has carried the Flyers on his back all year, but has received no love from the media or HF.

Stats:
27g-66a-93p +18

He has a legit shot at passing Kucherov and Malkin in points by years end. Regardless, I feel that he has made a strong case for the Hart Trophy, and has shown the league once again that he is a world class player.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What about the Selke caliber forward that doubled his point total? Giroux has had a great year, but don't think he has much of a shot at the Hart if you're going with the "put the team on his back" angle.

Reactions: Yarbles02

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He's having a great season, but how has he carried the Flyers when he doesn't even carry his own line? Also, when there's a 70pt Selke level C and an 80pt RW on your team, you definitely aren't "carrying" the team alone.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I think Hall and McKinnon have the "should win the Hart because they're carrying their team" vote locked up. The Hart will likely go to whoever leads the NHL in points as per usual but if it doesn't, I would expect one of those two to win it depending who qualifies for the playoffs (if both, McKinnon because he has more points.. that criteria is never going away).

It would just be hard to argue that Giroux means more to his team than those two players. He may be having a better year and does have more points but I don't think this angle will buy him Hart votes (especially with McKinnon having a better PPG and Hall having the exact same).

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not arguing G should get Hart, but if 80 point winger and 60+ point Dman on the same team then why Malkin or MacKinnon should be considered?
As a pens fab yeahhh. G has had a great year and it's good for the sport to see him back. He is helping carry the flyers to a good season , but some other players have done some thing a little more I think.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He will definitely get some consideration and deservedly so. There are almost a dozen guys this season that deserve attention for the Hart it’s hard to pick a clear winner.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There's probably around 6 players to take into consideration, but Giroux would be near bottom of that list. For me it would go Hall, MacKinnon, Kopitar, McDavid, Malkin and Giroux. Although the last 3 you can flip flop really. I do believe my top 3 is set in stone.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
There's probably around 6 players to take into consideration, but Giroux would be near bottom of that list. For me it would go Hall, MacKinnon, Kopitar, McDavid, Malkin and Giroux. Although the last 3 you can flip flop really. I do believe my top 3 is set in stone.

Giroux is def ahead of Hall and Kopitar. Kopitar has a franchise goaltender and a legit top 2 Dman in the NHL he plays with btw. MacK/McD are the only people ahead of G imo.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Giroux is def ahead of Hall and Kopitar. Kopitar has a franchise goaltender and a legit top 2 Dman in the NHL he plays with btw. MacK/McD are the only people ahead of G imo.

Why would he be ahead of Hall? He only has 7 more points than Hall in 6 more games with much more to work with. Hall has a 36 point lead on the Devils #2 guy. Giroux is only possibly ahead of Hall if the Devils fail to make the playoffs and even then it's iffy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He's having a great season, but how has he carried the Flyers when he doesn't even carry his own line? Also, when there's a 70pt Selke level C and an 80pt RW on your team, you definitely aren't "carrying" the team alone.

What do you mean he hasn’t carried his own line? Do you really think coots is putting up these numbers sans Giroux?

Hartnell 37 goals
Raffl 20+ goals
Coots 30+ goals

All career higha with giroux. It’s not a coincidence. This is called a pattern

Look what Konecny was doing before he got put on that first line

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I looked at the game winning goals this season and I noticed Giroux has 0. McDavid,Kutcherov, and Malkin all have 7. Hall , and Kopitar have 6 and Mackinnon has 11.

Reactions: Pengwins

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I looked at the game winning goals this season and I noticed Giroux has 0. McDavid,Kutcherov, and Malkin all have 7. Hall , and Kopitar have 6 and Mackinnon has 11.

Wait so the guy leading the nhl in assists has no game winning goals? So the guy leading the nhl in assists since 2010-2011 is being judged on goal scoring? And how arbitary thing to judge him on. All goals matter

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Courtier is the much more valuable player

Not at all. Giroux is a better pker, better at faceoffs, better playmaker , better on the pp,

Couts has 2 very elilte skills on offense, He is great carrying the puck into the zone, and great at keeping it in the zone. However those two things will not lead to points unless playing with other talented players. That is why he has really benefited from the play of giroux and konecny this year.

Couts has doubled his career high goal output this year. Find me another nhler who did that in their 7th year in the league.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Wait so the guy leading the nhl in assists has no game winning goals? So the guy leading the nhl in assists since 2010-2011 is being judged on goal scoring? And how arbitary thing to judge him on. All goals matter

Well Thornton who was the ultimate playmaker in his prime had 5 game winning goals in his MVP year and the following year had 6 game winning goals despite only scoring 22 all together. I just find it interesting that out of his 27 goals not one has been a game winner.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Well Thornton who was the ultimate playmaker in his prime had 5 game winning goals in his MVP year and the following year had 6 game winning goals despite only scoring 22 all together. I just find it interesting that out of his 27 goals not one has been a game winner.

It is a very arbitrary stat. it would be like judging a player on plus minus. Stamkos 27 goals 1 gw. It is not an important stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad